Outdoor Weddings

Outside wedding time

So my FI and I are getting married in June and we are having the ceremony and reception outside. The wedding will be in Oklahoma and for those of you not familiar with Okla. weather it can either be raining or really hot, but our evenings are fairly cool. We have a plan if it rains, but we don't know what time to start it taking in consideration that it could be hot. I was thinking 6 or 6:30 and reception start around 7:30 and end around 10. We are planning on feeding everyone and having a DJ and everything. Is that a good time to start the wedding in the summer? Do I need to give myself more time between the ceremony and reception to take photos? Is the reception too long?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just worried about upsetting guest and not giving myself enough time for photos. Oh Yeah, the ceremony and reception are at the same place, guests wont have to go to different locations.

Thanks for the advice
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Some of my favorite quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because your reality is finally better than your dreams" -Dr. Seuss
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." - Dr. Suess

Re: Outside wedding time

• that works. We're doing the same thing. reception and ceremony in our backyard garden...our i do's are at 5:00 or 5:15 -- we're kind of relaxed about it. Reception immediately afterward..we'll be taking photos while people drink and nibble for the 1st hour..
  • The only problem you have to worry about is pictures since you won't have much daylight left.  And be sure to put on your invitations that you are feeding them.  Since you are planning on having the reception starting a little after dinner time, you want to make sure everyone knows to come hungry otherwise they will assume to eat before.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Christmas Movie
    My Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are you planning to do pictures before or after the ceremony? If you have a ceremony that late, and wait to have pictures after, then you will run the risk of running out of sunlight. But if you do them before the ceremony then you should be okay.
  • We are planning to do pictures before and after. We don't want to see each other before the ceremony. So we will do the pictures that we can do before and the ones with both of us afterwards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Some of my favorite quotes

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because your reality is finally better than your dreams" -Dr. Seuss
    "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." - Dr. Suess
  • I am thinking that your time should be fine as long as you do some pictures before the ceremony.  The group pictures after shouldn't take more than an hour and I am thinking it won't get dark till after 8.  Actually, you can look at a farmer's almanac and check the time the sun sets!  That way you will know for sure what time it will get dark.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Christmas Movie
    My Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we are also doing an outdoor wedding in nyc, (outer boroughs) i have picked the same times, 6- to about 10. ny has really humid hot summers and i did not want to get started until after the sun has begun to go down. as far as rain, it might you can never tell as my mother says. we are renting a tent but only to cover the dance floor. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Chickpea
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    We are having an evening wedding as well.  Here's the timeline (sort of) for our festivities:

5:15 p.m.Prelude Music Begins/Greet Guests
    5:30 p.m.Ceremony Start
    5:50 p.m.Ceremony End
    5:50 p.m.Depart for Formal Photos
    6:00 p.m.Cocktail Party Begins
    6:45 p.m.Wrap Formal Photos/Return to Venue
    7:00 p.m.Dinner Begins
    8:00 p.m.Dancing Begins
    10:30 p.m.Reception Ends

I hope that helps!  We'll have informal photos the hour prior to the ceremony as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards