Michigan-Detroit

Cake from Shatila in Dearborn?

So my fiance and I LOVE Shatila bakery in Dearborn, and I know they do wedding cakes. However, there website isn't that great and doesn't give any kind of information or pricing. When I was there a couple weeks ago I tried to ask, but the lady just pointed to one of the styrofoam sample cakes (which was 4 tiers, fondant, over the top, and not at all what we want) and said "that one is $400." She didn't seem like she wanted to talk to me about it. Anyway, has anyone here by chance looked into cakes at Shatila? Any ideas on cost?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Created by Wedding Favors

Wedding Planning and DIY bio Updated 05/15/12
image 167 Made the list
image 115 Accept
image 46 Decline
image 6 Not ready to decide
RSVP deadline: June 8

Re: Cake from Shatila in Dearborn?

• matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't help with info on the bakery, but I can definitely say that if I was IN the bakery, ASKING about wedding cakes, and the staff couldn't bother giving me the time of day, I'd be looking for another bakery.  That sounds like a whole lotta hassle waiting to start happening that I'd want to avoid.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Matuofm. Any sign of the vendor being crappy/unresponsive and I run for the door. It's just not worth the hassle and potential problems you could run into if they decide to be crappy again close to your wedding date - there are too many good vendors out there to settle for someone you aren't comfortable with. However, maybe the lady at the counter had no clue what she was talking about. Call the bakery and ask to speak with the person in charge of wedding cakes. If you get mediocre or bad service again or are told "just stop in and talk to anyone" then you'll know that the lady at the counter wasn't a fluke and to go elsewhere.
  • edited December 2011

I LOVE Shatila! I've never had their cakes though. I am wondering if the woman wasn't very helpful because of a possible language barrier? I would try to call and set up an appointment to talk to someone. If they are unresponsive, I'd look elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards