Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Deciding whether or not to buy a second dress...kind of long

Today a co-worker brought in a dress that she purchased for her wedding, but she never got married. She is moving and is trying to clean out her closet. When I saw the dress I thought it was beautiful and realized that it was my size, I tried it on and it fits really well. I am trying to decide if I should buy it to change into for the reception after pictures and first dance. The gown that I already purchased is a ball gown with a pick up skirt and a semi cathedral length train and is very bulky however I love how I look in the dress. The dress I am thinking about buying is beautiful chiffon with a plunging beaded neckine which makes me feel "sexy" it is much easier to move/dance in, needs minimal alteraltions and is only $200. My MOH and BM think that it is a waste of money to pay so much for my first dress and not wear it the whole night, they fell why have two dresses that I will only wear once.  I am really torn on what to do. Any thoughts?

Re: Deciding whether or not to buy a second dress...kind of long

• Options
    Today a co-worker brought in a dress that she purchased for her wedding, but she never got married. She is moving and is trying to clean out her closet. When I saw the dress I thought it was beautiful and realized that it was my size, I tried it on and it fits really well. I am trying to decide if I should buy it to change into for the reception after pictures and first dance. The gown that I already purchased is a ball gown with a pick up skirt and a semi cathedral length train and is very bulky however I love how I look in the dress. The dress I am thinking about buying is beautiful chiffon with a plunging beaded neckine which makes me feel "sexy" it is much easier to move/dance in, needs minimal alteraltions and is only $200. My MOH and BM think that it is a waste of money to pay so much for my first dress and not wear it the whole night, they fell why have two dresses that I will only wear once.  I am really torn on what to do. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Its your wedding.  No one elses.  Do what makes you happy!  Take the opinion of the person paying for it, you. Wink
  • Options
    I would love the opportunity to wear 2 dresses, but can financially only manage one (I compromised and got one that is sophisticated yet tea-length, so I could feel great and have fun at the reception, since that's going to be the majority of the event).

Some may see it as an extravegance, but I think that if you can afford it, go for it. It's your day, so what right does anyone have to criticize you for not wearing them again?
  • Options
    go for it! You can dance the night away in it!
  • Options
    Jessiyuk hit it right on the head. It is your money, go for it. Your opinion is the one that matters.

I just picked up my reception dress yesterday, that I bought at a sample sale in Nov 08. I'm still not getting married for 17 months. I'm making my ceremony gown, and the reception dress is one I will just PARTAY in.

Your opinion is the only one that matters. Who knows? You may have 2 daughters that want to wear your dress, and that way each one can have one!

Good luck.
  • Options
    I was watching a TV show who's wedding is it anyway... the girl bought a $5,000 wedding dress to do just what you plan on doing and another $4,000.00 for a dress to change into for dancing. I think if you have the money then do it. You may want to get FI's opinion though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

It depends on whether or not you think you'll regret not wearing your first dress for longer. I don't know how fancy this second dress is...but could you possibly take it with you on your honeymoon and wear it for a fancy night out? Just an idea. :o)

• Options
    I would do it. You can always sell it afterwards!
  • Options
    I have a second dress for my reception - I say go for it!!! Especially since you want to dance. Our wedding will be more of a party atmosphere for the reception and I wouldn't be able to really dance in my wedding dress.
    I say do what you wish and can afford - if you budget allows for it then it's up to you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards