Registry and Gift Forum

When to register?

My wedding is in June and I'm not sure when I should register... maybe I'm just getting anxious and am excited for registering. I was planning on doin it in January. I need some opinions!

Re: When to register?

• We registered a year before the wedding because in my family it is common to receive engagement gifts as well as for family to shop from the registry for Christmas, etc. before the wedding. Our initial registry consisted of china, flatware, crystal, and luggage - things that wouldn't be discontinued in the months before the wedding. We added another registry about six months before the wedding, and updated it with more items as needed before the wedding. You can register anytime - the only time you really [i]need[/i] to have it done by is before your shower invitations go out. If you want to register now, it's perfectly appropriate to do so. If we have a lot of weddings to attend during the summer, sometimes we try to shop ahead so we can spread out the expenses of gift buying. For a really close friend or family, I'll try to get to their registry early so I can make sure I pick out their gift before all the "good" gifts have been purchased.
  • We registered in November for our May wedding. We got several registry items as Christmas gifts from my parents. We had to update a bit last spring, but not too much.
  • We registered in Sept (getting married in May) so people have registry options for birthdays (we just had them a a few weeks ago) and Christmas.Generally, unless you want other gift giving times like Christmas, right about when bridal shower invites go out is when you register. so 2-3 months before.You can register as early as you like, but the further out you register the more likely something will get discontinued.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • We registered a couple of months ago for our May wedding, because my grandmother was about to disown me if we didn't.

As far as where, if you pick a chain that has locations all over you can generally register at any of them & it's effective/available at all of them.  If you pick a local store that may be more challenging for your guests. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards