Iowa-Des Moines

Major Problem!! Watch out ladies!!

I just wanted to put a big heads up to all brides out there going through Schaffer's in Des Moines. I won't get into specifics, but I am having MAJOR issues with them, and I would suggest being very cautious with them.

In a nutshell, I had to order my gown 7 months out, had to order a rush (costing me $100 extra dollars). I was told the gown would be back mid-May. By the end of May I had not heard anything, so I began calling. I was told the dress would be in on time, but was already late...tell me how that works?

The dress finally arrived on Friday, June 12th. My seamstress had been waiting for my call, and I was able to drop off the gown on Saturday, June 13th. When I put on the gown for the first time, I was shocked to find that it was too small by 3".
I then called Schaffer's, and they told me that my seamstress must have put it on me incorrectly. I'm sorry....how is that possible?!?

Most importantly tho, I was incredibly upset with the way I was handled when I called with my concerns. She basically made it out to be my fault...and I don't appreciate that. When you are getting married in 11 days, and your gown doesn't fit the last thing you want to hear is that it's YOUR fault!

Anyway, just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Shop somewhere else if you can.

On  a positive note, my original consultant Libby Cue, was GREAT. it was the problems after that really have me upset.

Re: Major Problem!! Watch out ladies!!

• edited December 2011
    Yikes!  I just ordered my dress through Schaffers about a week ago.  I had Libby Cue too who seems awesome!  
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you.  I hope I don't have the same issues.  Thanks for letting us know!
  • edited December 2011
    AHH! I just ordered my dress there.....

I'm getting married in December which is 6 months away but they told me it would be in in plenty of time.  Hope so.. :S
  • sfrazer11sfrazer11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's awful, I'm so sorry!  I ordered my dress through Schaffer's in late Jan 2009 and it arrived in early June- so less than 5 months.  I had no problems whatsoever with my dress.  However, we had several issues ordering bridesmaid dresses(price discrepancies, color & size details...).  It all got worked out fine, but the  consultant I always got on the phone when I called) was totally unhelpful and pretty rude.  On the  other hand, the girls I worked with when I actually went in to look and for fittings were fantastic.  Hope everyone's Schaffer's experiences go well!
  • krysh2302krysh2302 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure you all will have great luck! I spoke to my wc and she says she hasn't heard too many bad things about them, and I know that crazy things happen!

I just think the last thing a bride wants to hear a week and a half before her wedding is that it's her fault her dress doesn't fit!!

Congrats to you all!
  • edited December 2011
    not to sound mean but it was probably LIbby that ordered you the wrong size! I didn't particularily like schaffer's when i went there. It was the first place I went to try on and the first thing they asked me when I walked in the door was how much i wanted to spend. I thought it was a little rude. I understand it was an important factor in pulling dresses but jeez.... Then they informed me that if I wasn't going to spend $3000+ I would probably be pretty limited in my selections... hmmm.... I found a dress elsewhere.
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • edited December 2011
    I was not impressed with Shaffers at all!   I am a plus-sized girl, and when we looked for dresses in the store, the only dresses the saleswoman would let me try on were from the plus-sized section.  I'm not out to ruin their dresses, but there are ways to try on designer dresses without actually putting them on.  I told her that I did not like alot of beading, and that is ALL she gave me!  She didn't listen to me AT ALL!!!!   I was looking to spend quite a bit on a dress, and for a "full-service"  salon, they didn't hit the mark at all!   I ended up getting my dress in Chicago, and the salon I went to there was BRILLIANT!  Instead of looking around at dresses, you told the woman what you were looking for and she would bring you dresses.  You could try on as many as you like!  They did everything they could to fit my butt into the dress, so I could see it!  It was the best experience I ever had!  Before that, all other salons made me feel fat, and I never had a good time!  Picking out a dress should be an amazing experience, it shouldn't make you feel bad, and it definitely should be about YOU!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard a couple horror stories from Schaffers as well--and as a side note, I'm sure plenty of brides have had a wonderful experience, but I think they know they're "top dog" of bridal fashion in DSM, so they do what they want.  One of my friends bought her dress from there and has had a nightmare with it.  First, we're wondering if they just gave her a floor sample because she's had it stored away for months and months and when she took it out of the closet and looked at it closer, there were long pieces of the hem coming out.  She had one fitting done in December and even though she's not getting married until this next month, they basically did it like a final fitting, with no room to let out.  Of course, when she tried it on, she needed it let out a little or had to hit the gym to try to fit into it.  Schaffers also wont let you return ties for the groomsmen or allow you to at least put it towards store credit.  Plus, I understand fittings are expensive, but for purchasing the dress through them and getting it fitted at the same place, they...for lack of a better phrase...screw you over. 

I've been in the store just to browse and it's a nice place with very nice, name brand dresses, but I think from the stories I've heard, I'll go elsewhere.
  • edited December 2011

I have nothing but good things to say about Schaffer's.  I am sorry to those of you who had a negative experience, but I just want to say that I found exactly what I wanted, under my budget with the help of a wonderful employee at Schaffer's.  So, moral of the story is... there's going to be horror stories about everywhere you shop for a wedding dress, but don't just listen to the bad things without knowing some good things as well.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm starting my dress shopping and am going to be making an appointment there soon...hopefully if I do order my dress there I have a better experience!
  • edited December 2011
    I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Schaffers. I first went in almost a year ago to look at gowns. I found one then that I thought I wanted, and a great feather headpiece. I paid a deposit then, but wasn't going to order it til the first of this year (our wedding is in September) I took the bridesmaids in to look at dresses and my consultant was so patient with them, we tried on all kinds of things that day. Then this last winter I called her and asked if I could come in and try on some more dresses to make sure. I went, and tried on several others, in fact I ended up ordering a different dress.

I'm also a plus size bride, and a low budget...I never felt like they didn't want to help me, or not let me try on gowns that were too small or too expensive. I ordered my gown in early February, and it came the first of this month. I went in a couple of days later and tried it on. I made the right choice! I'll start my fittings next month.

I hope everyone has a wonderful experience there, if that's where you find your gown.
  • edited December 2011

I had a wonderful experience at Schaffers too.  They are professional and have a great system going (but I'm sure problems happen).  The seamstress and all of the women I worked with were very nice and prompt, too.  I had a $1000 budget, and I tried on at least 10-12 dresses that I chose.  They absolutely worked with my budget. 

I am going in for my final fitting Wednesday.  My wedding is next week in the Bahamas.  I am very worried that the dress will be too small!  I was my very thinnest when I got it fitted, and all I want to do is EAT these past few weeks.  :(  Hope it fits or hope they can let it out an inch by next Monday!! 

• edited December 2011
    I first went there to look at dresses and was told that I had to order my dress asap to make sure that it would arrive on time. They happened to have the dress that I had been looking for. I tried it on and fell in love with it. I don't like to be pushed so held off on odering it. Push came to shove I guess you could say. I ordered my dress online and had it delivered to my house 3 day later. I pulled it out of the box, tried it on and it fit perfect with no alterations needed at all. I spent alot lot less than I would have had I gotten it at the store and got the very same dress. I won't go back there again for any reason. My bridesmaids ordered theirs online too with a perfect fit. We are all happy with our decision to not get them at Schaffer's.
  • edited December 2011
    I orderd my dress from Schaffers in December and it came in at the end of May.  I have absolutely no complaints about there at all.  I have started my alteration process and so far have gotten a long great! As for the lady at the reception they have some girl that works there that can't even measure.  My FSIL went there for a bridesmaid fitting for another wedding and this girl measured her, there was another sales lady right there and she re-measued my FSIL.  The second sales lady said the first girl got an entire wedding party measured wrong once.  She seem to answer the phone frequently so maybe that was her. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards