Connecticut

CT Venue suggestions.

Hi ladies. I'm hoping you can offer some ideas for reception locations. The general idea, theme if you want to call it that is "Old New England Country Elegant" We're looking at next fall/winter (September 2013 - February 2014) in Southwestern CT.

I like the idea of an historic estate/country house/barn. Most of these have been site only venues. For planning purposes I'd prefer a full service venue. And on the inverse most full service venues lack the charm we're hoping for. 

Our budget is in keeping with the average wedding.

Other things we'd like to have; beautiful grounds, decor with character, and a menu that is creative and unique. A water view is a huge plus.

I know it's a tall order but anything close is appreciated. We are able & willing to be flexible with some points if others are that great.

*edited for my lack of directional skills

Re: CT Venue suggestions.

• How do you feel about wineries?  Jonathan Edwards in North Stonington has stunning grounds, is very much "Old New England" and even though it's not within sight of the water, the shore is only 15 minutes away if you wanted to have photos done.  I grew up close by and attend their festivals every fall and spring.  Love it there.  They aren't full-service but they work with a few different caterers so it's not like you're entirely on your own for finding someone and bringing them in.  Good luck!

Edit: Or (DUH) you could look into my venue, the Branford House in Groton.  The grounds are pretty, being a college campus, but not spectacular.  However, it IS right on the water.  Again, I am bringing in my own caterer (Coastal Gourmet) but I also got a DOC (Jen Strunk) to help take the stress and work off me.  Plus the contact lady at the BH (Katherine) isn't very helpful at all.  But I do love the venue.  So check those 2 places out :)
  • Stupid me put Southeastern CT. It should be Southwestern. That winerey would be high on my list if it was closer. 
  • Unfortunately I don't know too many venues in southwestern CT. The Mystic Seaport would be nice, but it's probably too far east. 

I don't know anyone who's had a wedding there, but in Woodbury CT is Country Loft Antiques, which holds weddings. Their website: http://countryloftantiques.com/events/ They're near a lake, so they have the water, plus they have a barn and are set in basically small town CT.

Have you used google? I just googled "southwestern ct wedding" and found this list (clicky) of venues. 

Good luck!
  • I got married at The Waterview in Monroe this past September and it was fantastic! The venue overlooks Lake Zoar. We were married outside on the East Lawn (the water was right in back of us!), but they have indoor options as well. For the reception, there are floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake and a balcony.

They have a lot of choices available menu wise. We had a mini burger bar during cocktail hour as well as a carving station that included corn bread, mac and cheese, and other comfort food. We also had an ice cream sundae bar....amazing!

Let me know if you have any questions....http://www.waterviewcatering.com/
    Anniversary
  • This is more in central CT, but its the first thing i thought of for old new england elegance, it fits perfectly, and its a full service venue. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When you say southwestern connecticut do you mean Fairfield County?  A lot of the mansions have restrictions on how many people they can host, how many guests are you expecting?
  • I second St. Clement's Castle. I got married there this past July and they did an amazing job. I literally have no complaints and they far exceeded my expectations. They treat you like royalty, but it can be expensive.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Fox Hill Inn in Brookfield kinda sorta has the historic feel to it and it's full service....

Follow Me on Pinterest

• You might want to look into Dolce in Norwalk. It's not an historic estate, but it has an elegant country feeling while still being a full service venue. Its priced about average, and it has beautiful gounds with like 60 acres of woods, and a pond and a barn. A unique place with character was most important to me, and we ended up getting married there this summer. All of our guests raved about it.

I never remember to check this thing, but feel free to email me if you want any more info: harringtone1@gmail.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You might want to look into Dolce in Norwalk. It's not an historic estate, but it has an elegant country feeling while still being a full service venue. Its priced about average, and it has beautiful gounds with like 60 acres of woods, and a pond and a barn. A unique place with character was most important to me, and we ended up getting married there this summer. All of our guests raved about it.

I never remember to check this thing, but feel free to email me if you want any more info: harringtone1@gmail.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Check out Inn at Longshore in Westport. It was built in the 1800s. It is charming and elegant without being stuffy and right on the Long Island Sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards