Ohio-Columbus
Options

Buying a dress?

Where did you go to get your dress?  I'm looking for some options to check out. Any advice, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Re: Buying a dress?

• Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at BigRock LittleRooster. I <3 it to death.

When you go in, go in with a vision of what you want, but also an open mind to the suggestions of the store people. They might see something that you may not. Know your body type.
    Know what styles will look good on you.
    Know your budget (if you have one).
    Take someone with you who will be brutally honest when it's called for and will cry with you when you find "the one".
    Take water with you.
    Bring a notebook to document reactions of dresses, styles, etc.
    Don't forget to bring a camera and have fun!

Pick up a copy of "The Knot- Ohio" magazine. They have lots of really awesome suggestions and places for dress shopping in the area (Columbus, Cinnci, etc).
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Two big ones in Columbus are Wendys and Alan Ray.  I almost want to tell you to ignore reviews, because you'll find bad reviews on both, however it really just depends which employee is in a bad mood that day :P.  I had a great experience at Alan Ray, but not so much at Wendys.  Other girls will say the opposite.  The general consensus is that it just depends who ends up helping you, some gals are great, some are awful, but it's just a chance you take... hopefully you get the nice employee though :)  Both have decent selections and wide price ranges (I got my dress at Alan Ray for $600, but that was almost dumb luck in my situation, because my budget was like $1200 lol)

Good luck!  It's so much fun :)

• Options
    osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went with Bella Laccio in Westerville, but I've also been to La Jeune Mariee (Worthington) and Wendys. We went shopping for BM dresses at Alan Ray a couple weeks ago as well.

Bella Laccio: They have a lower selection than some of the bigger shops, but I absolutely adore the shop. Everyone is super nice and truly excited to help you. 

La Jeune Mariee: I actually really liked this place as well at first. A ton of gorgeous dresses with a variety of designers and styles. However, I told them my budget at the get-go (on the low end for their store, but still reasonable). She pulled some off the rack for me to try on based on the style/design I wanted. I fell in love with a gorgeous, perfect dress that was twice my budget. Maybe for most people this isn't a big deal, but I was actually offended by it. My mother was there and saw/fell in love with the dress and began calculating out how she would make it work financially. I couldn't justify asking my parents to spend that much on a dress and it actually hurt me to have that experience. If budget isn't as big of an issue (and maybe this was an isolated experience), I think it would be a great place to look.

Wendys: I went on a Friday morning and had a great experience. I almost bought a dress there, but I decided to keep looking. Our salesperson wasn't pushy and they weren't crowded at all. Their prices were great as well.

Alan Ray: We went for BM dresses and had a good experience. They weren't overly helpful at first. They directed us to where the dresses were and basically left us alone. However, at the end, we started a conversation with one of the salesgirls and it got better. I discussed with her the BM body types and she went through what lines she thought would work, which was really helpful.

Cliff Notes: All were good in my opinion. Rank order I'd say the order they are above, but budget and sales person definitely come into play.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Meg - I wouldn't let myself step into Jeune Marie, because their least expensive dress is like the tip top of what I wanted to spend :(  I knew what happened to you would happen to me - my heart broke when I read your post - the dresses in their are so incredibly beautiful... I wouldn't have done my wedding day any other way, and I LOVE my $600 dress, but seeing their dresses make me wish I had 5k to drop on fabric.  If I had the money, I would.  I personally think they have the most beautiful, unique dresses outside of NYC or Chicago.  
    **sidebar** an acquaintance had a dress from Jeune Marie that looked so similar to mine, made me feel ever so slightly better ;)

every time I drive by that store, I dang near get in an accident because I can't keep my eyes on the road.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Alan Ray Bridal.

My experience at Wendy's Bridal was that they were rude and unprofessional. My sister and my Mom got the same treatment from the same lady a few years back when they were looking for prom dresses. I don't even know why I stopped in there, but oh well.

DB was ok, however, I didn't find anything that particularly wowed me or my body. We went on a Saturday when they were extremely busy and the saleslady was very pushy (they are on commission) and did not give me her undivided attention. She kept going back and forth between other brides, which was okay, I wasn't jealous or anything like that, but it made it hard for me to receive her honest opinion on the dresses I tried on bc she was so busy going back and forth and running all over the place.

Like a pp mentioned, Alan himself can be a bit hard to take, he just has one of those personalities, but he is a really nice guy if you get to know him a bit better. He did all of my alterations and bustle bc I live out of state, so it was just easiest that way to do when I came into town. I also custom ordered my veil through him, and received tons of compliments on it. It was gorgeous, but quite expensive. It was worth it though.

My saleslady is no longer there (or maybe only works very part time), at least to the best of my understanding. However, her name was Merti if you want to ask about her. She was a little petite young girl who knew her stuff. I had an idea of what I wanted, but she knew right off that bat which dresses would compliment my figure, etc. I chose a few and she chose a few. I ended up falling in love and having a hard time deciding between two dresses. One was a Maggie Sottero and the other was a Sottero & Midgley. Of course, I went with the more expensive SM dress, but again, it was well worth the money. I received so many comments about how stunning I looked and how beautiful my dress was.

Have fun and good luck!
  • Options
    osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    EmDizzle: It was really bad. My mom kept asking if I was sure I liked the dress I got. I honestly do like it as much as the first dress (I lucked out) but I couldn't justify spending 5000 on a dress (it was less than that, but as a price point). I agree, I am just as happy with a less expensive one! 
  • Options
    Ungargirl16Ungargirl16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OSUmegs: I bought my gown at Bella Laccio too! Their dresses are amazing. I actually fell in love with a Matthew Christopher and it was a little over my initial budget...Jen explained that the cost of the dress included the custom length. It also included the petticoat (?) which is built in to the couture dresses -where most gowns you need to buy a bunch of other stuff to where underneath (they forced me into them at Wendy's and Davids). At the end of the day it was well worth a little extra money and it came back fitting perfectly. I don't need to get alterations, but will need the bustle put in (once I find my shoes).

Where did everyone get their shoes? Any good websites I should know of?

Best of luck!

Stacey 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ungar- I got my shoes at nordstroms (bagdley mischka). I'm not doing traditional white shoes... my dress has a black sash so I bought myself black fun shoes to mimic some of the style of my dress.

Just a little something fun and surprising for pictures. My rings look awfully awesome in the poufy stuff of the shoes :-)

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    osumegsosumegs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely love those shoes!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw thanks Megs! Im kind of a shoe hoar. :-)

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Cincinnati Bridal and Formal. IMHO, the bridal district down there is worth the drive :)

Good luck!!
    kissing

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP: 10/26/11 EDD: 6/28/12

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for all the advice, I have some appointments I need to be making, now :)
  • Options
    KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I knew I was a Maggie Sottero or Casablana bride, so that made finding a place to go easy since both designers are only carried at certain boutiques. After I picked out 20 dresses I wanted to try on I then called invidiual stoes to see which dresses they had. This was a humbling experience.

Thankfully, I am from the Cleveland area orginally so when I was heading up one weekend I called Catan's Bridal in Strongsville. They had the largest selection of dresses I wanted to try on (Wendy's had ONE out of 23!!). I found my dress and couldn't be happier. Even though I never got to try on my top Casablanca dress, I tried on and fell in love with Maggie's Vogue Royale in antique gold.

Anniversary
  • Options
    sherise40sherise40 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Wendys and had a horrible time. I honestly stayed for like 15 minutes. Expect to pay around $1200 for new styles. At least that was what I was looking at while I was there, after I told the lady my price range she scoffed and pretty much ignored me. She also told me I to hurry up because her next appointment would be there in 45 minutes!!!! I mean really.
    I also went to the bridal district in Cincinnati. I would say its totally worth the drive.
    I however bought my dress at Universe Bridal in Coshocton about an hour east of Cbus. It was so worth it I went 3 times and each time had a ball with my consultant Sue, she was wonderful. I found a dress that was 1/2 the price that Wendys had it for...They have hundreds of dresses I mean hundreds. My top favorites were Cincinnati Bridal and of course Universe Bridal.
    -Sherise Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_buying-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:112Discussion:9392818f-e2ef-4bcc-8240-66d6a20ad496Post:f19f900f-ac33-4848-b5c3-0d790fa9e9dc">Re: Buying a dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my dress at Cincinnati Bridal and Formal. IMHO, the bridal district down there is worth the drive :) Good luck!!
    Posted by ehighley[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.  thats where I got my dress too.  I had a great exprience and i recommend you go on a week day instead of a weekend. 
    Good luck

ehighley,
    How weird... were both getting married in april and leave in columbus and bough our dresses from the same place.  What day are you getting married in April?
  • Options
    Ungargirl16Ungargirl16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooh, I have a completely different feeling about the bridal district in Cinci....I thought it was way over rated. All the stores here in Columbus seem to have the same designers! And, they're here. 

PS - LOVE THE SHOES!

Stacey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ended up getting mine at Trumpington in Westerville.  Its a lovely little shop and the people who work there are great. The selection isnt huge, but it is different than what i found elsewhere.  I would highly recommend it.

I went to Wendy's and had a not great experience. They were a little rude, were quick to point out i wouldnt fit in the samples, and when i just wanted to show my sis (who lives in new york)the dress i was seriously considering (on the hanger), they wouldnt allow it. 

I liked Alan Ray a ton, and would have gone back there if i hadnt found my dress elsewhere.

I agree the Cincinnati bridal area is worht the drive.  Its also worth noting the Cininnati Art museum currently has a show about the history of bridal fashion, so that would make a really nice day trip.
    image 210 Invited
    image 140 Are ready to party!
    image 32 Will be missing out!
    image 38 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I visited Trumpington and absolutely loved the ladies working the shop, one of them being the owner.  I had the best experience, especially compared to another store I went to in Dayton a couple weeks ago which wasn't great.  I found 2 wonderful dresses and now have to make my decision.  One of the owners picked out one of the two in a style I had never thought about and who knew!  They also picked out the perfect veil and earings.  So exciting though! :)
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards