Delaware

Recovering- NWR

Okay, about the makeup.  Well, it's a two part question.

First, I grew up in a household where makeup wasn't really the thing.  I pretty much taught myself to put makeup on, and only the basics.  I know one layer of eye shadow, and mascara, and foundation.  That's it- I know nothing of blending, nothing of layering, etc.  The biggest thing that irritates me to no end is smudging the eyeliner and blending it into my lashline- I am hopeless at it, and it makes me mad and frustrated!  No matter what type, no matter what brush, no matter how hard, I always seem to have either a gap of skin you can see between the liner and the lashes, or a thick wide layer of eyeliner that makes me look like a drag queen hooker.  My question here is, do you have any suggestions or places to go or tutorials on how to learn to do makeup right?  I want to learn how to blend eyeshadows, how to apply that little tilt to my eyeliner (you know, the one that extends the eye), I want to do a smokey eye that doesn't look like I fell in the fireplace and came out with charcoal and ask on my eye...anything to help me, please, I am begging!

Second, brushes.  Right now, I am using EcoTools- I have a basic blush/loose powder brush, a cream foundation brush (which I am not too keen on), a basic eyeshadow brush, and an eyeliner brush (one like this, but it's an EcoTool).  I am using a gel eyeliner, which I really like, but can't seem to get it on right with the straight fine liner brush.  What other brushes do I need, and how do I use them?  I went to Target to look at the brushest there and got so overwhelmed because I didn't know what was what.

Can you help me, please?!

Re: Recovering- NWR

• edited December 2011
    Not to hijack- but I recommend bare minerals/essentials. If you go in to one of the stores (Christiana mall) they'll show you how to do it. And try using a thin eyeliner brush, one of the stiff slanted ones, and moisten it. Take a darker eye shadow and line your eyelids with it. It'll give you a softer, blended look. HTH.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Paprika- I wish I could use bare minerals, but because of issues with meds that cause me to sweat really bad (gross, I know), the bare minerals and anything like it slide right off my face within 20 minutes.  It's really frustrating when you combine with the fact that I have really sensitve skin and break out really easily.

Luckily, I have found a few brands that I can use and don't have too much trouble with.  I can use Clinique no problem, they are the best brand I have found yet.  Almay and Neutrogena don't give me many problems either, suprisingly.  I haven't really tried brands like Too Faced and urbandecay, but Bare minerals slides off my face (it works with my sensitive skin).  I cannot use Sephora brand, and I haven't tried Ulta brand but I am guessing I can't use that either- too harsh and itchy on my skin; same with Lancome and Dior and all those heavily scented brands.  My mom uses Josie Marin which is really expensive but works great as well.  There is one other one that I use, Korres, that works well too.

So use a dark eyeshadow, wet the slanted brush, and rub it in?  Suggestions on brushes- I am guessing I need one with stiff bristles, not soft bristles?  I always seem to draw it all over my lid, or my hand shakes and slips, or I never get it into the lashes.  I want that thin, soft line in my lashes, and can never seem to get it!
  • edited December 2011
    Really? bummer. I have oily sensitive skin and i can't use anything but. All the rest of the makeup out there slides off my eyes and cheeks. Hmm... I love bobbi brown; her colors are nice neutrals. Mally, Tarte & Smashbox are good too. Oh, and Mally brushes are good, as are the Laura Gellar brushes. And I can't remember the name, but there's a set with black handles from Target that works pretty well too.

Check out this brush -- />Clicky<--

When I do mine, I usually use the bare minerals finishing powder as the base so it doesnt slide off. From what I hear, any powder foundation will work. Powder usually holds better. Or, primer. Have you tried primer yet?

Then, like, for day, I'll do the eyeliner first, then the eyeshadow, to make it lighter. (and that way, if I make a mistake, its easier to 'buff' it out.)  It sounds silly, but since I wear contacts, I usually have saline around. I'll put a drop of it on my dresser and dip the brush in it, and then put some darker eyeshadow on it. Then, with the short end leading, I'll line my eyes from inside to outside. The shadow is much more forgiving than gel. Then, if after I put my eyeshadow on, it looks too washed out, there's a line to trace. I'll just go over it again with the brush, either wet or dry.

Definitely practice on your hand a few times.
     I had a picture to put on, but it's too big for TK to download. boo.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JayElleJayCeeJayElleJayCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do the same thing when it comes to eyeliner. I use a pencil eyeliner though and then go over it with eyeshadow to soften it. Plus it really corrects any mistakes.

When it comes to brushes, I have several but I couldn't tell you what they are - I am so bad with that. I use different ones for different things though for sure (that was no help at all). lol. Your best bet is to buy a kit so you have everything! You can always look up what each one is for but you don't have to go by what they say. Just use what works for you.

I like to go on youtube.com and they have some great makeup tutorials. julieg713 on youtube has some good videos. I've done a few of her eye make up and nail tutorials. When I have time I love going on youtube for different make up ideas. Especially around the holidays - i get very festive with make-up! lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_recovering-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:f9ebbdd1-4a79-4be3-9704-8f03b638af68Post:2e15b610-e7d9-463d-ac2f-93c19aac6286">Recovering- NWR</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I want to learn how to blend eyeshadows, how to apply that little tilt to my eyeliner (you know, the one that extends the eye), I want to do a smokey eye that doesn't look like I fell in the fireplace and came out with charcoal and ash on my eye...anything to help me, please, I am begging! Posted by Ms.BriarRose[/QUOTE]

I seriously laughed out loud here. Haha. You are sooo funny - and the same thing happens to me sometimes - you really have to make sure you have the right lighting! I have done make up in soft lighting for day, just to go outside, get in my car and scream when I look in the rear view mirror!
  • edited December 2011
    I still haven't perfected the smoky eye... It's difficult. I only have one picture where I love it... But I usually use the loose powdered eyeshadow to do the smoky eye. It also depends on your eye color. I have blue eyes, so I use a lot of coppery and chocolate brown colors. It really makes them pop.
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
  • edited December 2011

hahahaha this thread is hilarious, btw.

Ok. I've heard that about Bare Minerals.  Personally I don't use it because I have EXTREMELY dry skin, and BE makes me look like I'm an alligator. I do use their mascara and eye shadow though, bc their eye shadow is awesome.

I'm going to let you in on a little trade secret.  Urban Decay eye pencils... best eye pencils in the whole world.  I like them better than gel eyeliner most of the time.  If your gel eyeliner is WATERPROOF (and I mean for serious waterproof) than you can do this same trick.  If you're using gel, you want a brush like this one: http://www.smashbox.com/CREAM-EYE-LINER-BRUSH-9 

Now.  Take your eyelid... and pull it UP.  If you're using a pencil... draw along the INSIDE of your lashes.  If you're using WATERPROOF gel, use the flat brush and press the gel into the inside of your lashes.  It defines the eye better than any other liner does.  Then, if you still want to line the top of the lid, close your eye, and instead of pulling to the side (which only distorts the eyelid and causes crows feet) you pull UP on your eyebrow.  There's a little tiny lip on your eyelid where your lashes come out of.  Put eyeliner THERE. 

MBR--the brush you're using, does it look like a little wisp, or is it a flat angled brush?  Try using the flat angled brush.  It looks like a brow brush, but it's thinner and made out of taklon or nylon.  You always want to use synthetic brushes when you're dealing with wet products. 

Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Okay.  Lesson #2.  Blending. 

It's all about the tools you're using, A #1.  That being said, Eco Tools brushes are a great starter set.  Professional brushes cost between $15 and $50 per brush.  I think if it's something that you're going to do every day... and you really love make up... then eventually upgrade your brushes.  One at a time.  The most important eye brush you can have is a blending brush.  I have three... one synthetic and two natural fiber. 

When you apply eye color, you can do it three different ways.  One--sweeping.  That's probably what you're doing now.  Sweeping color puts a sheer wash of color.  Two--patting.  Patting or pressing color deposits more color.  Three--buffing.  Doing little tiny circles.  Each motion deposits more or less color, and by experimenting with how the different application changes the same shadow, you can see what you need to do to properly blend.

This is how I typically apply eye shadow, and I learned this from one of the most talented MUAs that I've worked with at Ulta.
    1. Apply a light colored shadow all over from lash line to brow bone using the sweeping motion and a large shadow brush.
    2. Using a crease brush, apply your crease color (something about 2 shades darker than your lid color) in a windshield wiper motion into your crease.  Basically, outline the top of your eyeball.  Stop a little farther than halfway (don't go all the way to the inner corner)  Don't worry about blending at this point.
    3. Using your shadow brush (the first brush you used) apply your lid color from your lash line up to the crease
    4. If you need to do more blending, do that at this point.  Take either the large shadow brush, or a clean brush and buff around the entire eye area, paying special attention to the crease.  You shouldn't need to blend TOO much, because since you applied the crease color before the lid color, it should blend it for you.

Now you can stop here, or if you want more drama...
    5. Take a small precision brush.  Taking an even darker color, draw a sideways V along the outer corner.  Blend with blending brush.  Take that same color and the same brush, and line your lower lash line.  Don't take it past your iris unless you're doing a super dramatic smokey eye.

Line your eye, apply mascara, you're done. 

If you have issues with your eyeshadow staying on during the day... put an eyeshadow primer on before you put any eyeshadow on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011

If you're still having trouble... come into Ulta on a Sunday and I can show you.  I work there every Sunday, and we teach people how to apply stuff all the time.  That's what makes us different from Sephora.  We also don't work on commission. 

We do events all the time too with different makeup artists.  Our big ones are every fall (September) and every spring (April) we have a company-wide beauty event.  But we do mini events throughout the year.  The next one we're doing is on Saturday Dec 4th with Benefit.  I won't be there because I don't work on Saturdays and because I have a wedding to go to, but the events are good ways to try new stuff and learn from some really talented makeup artists.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
  • edited December 2011
    um... i call gtg @ ulta so recovering can give us a makeup lesson.  :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'll go!!!!!!!!! That sounds fun :)

• edited December 2011
    YOU. ARE. AMAZING.

Sorry I didn't get back to you til now- I was in OH on a road trip, and had limited internet access.

THANK YOU FOR THE TIPS!  Seriously, you helped me out so much.  Can you tell me which brushes I should be using, in total, for everything?  The ones I really need?  I know there are some that I need to get because I don't have.

The eyeliner brush looks like a wisp- a really tiny paint brush.  The eyeliner I use is waterproof- once it's set, it doesn't move- and that's why I use it, since everything else I sweat off, lol.

Now, my dr did just change my meds, and the sweating had decreased drastically, so I may be able to change to other items now.

I am going to try everything you said tomorrow :)  And I also call a GTG at Ulta!  LOL!
  • edited December 2011
    If you go to http://www.urbandecay.com/categories/tools.cfm and look at the shadow brush, blending brush, crease brush, and liner brush.... those are the basics.  I'm not saying you have to get Urban Decay brushes.  I actually think natural fiber brushes are easier to start out with, but they have the best pictures of brushes.  I also like their multi-tasker brush for smudging eyeliner and using shadow for eyeliner underneath.  And doing the V on the outer corner.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011

Posy Palette Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards