Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Groupon?

Hey ladies. I was just curious if anyone out there used a Groupon for a honeymoon? Or just to travel in general? FI and I don't really have a specific place that we want to go, and we have a somewhat modest budget. What we want is to really just get away somewhere nice for about a week, preferably out of the country. I've looked at the groupon getaway deals, and some of them seem really great. I'm a bit skeptical about this though, so i was wondering if anyone out there had done this, and if so how did it turn out?
135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: March 23
Wedding Countdown Ticker
April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses

Re: Groupon?

• Options
    Our friends did one of those deals to The Landings in St. Lucia (we had to back out of the trip).  They used our travel agent who booked the Groupon deal with the resort.  Our TA was definitely wishy washy about those deals- telling us that they tend to either be new resorts or new management.  Sure enough, 2 weeks before the trip, The Landings was no longer part of Rock Resorts.  Our friends were freaking out, but, our TA worked with the new management to get everyone upgraded.   In the end, they loved the resort and raved about the service-- so much so, that they want to go back!  It worked out in their favor.  I guess it is just a gamble and whatever you are comfortable with.  (I can pass along our TA's info if you'd like it.  Just PM me.)  Good luck!
  • Options
    We just bought a living social deal for Niagara Falls, but aren't using it for another month. The booking process was easy enough though! I'm also interested to see how it all pans out; the package we bought included some "extras" and I'm curious to see how they fulfill everything.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think as long as you check reviews for resorts (use tripadvisor.com, etc) and read the fine print (is flight, airport transfer included? is it only valid certain dates and sun-thurs, etc). you can find some good deals.

I also recommend Travelzoo.  We just booked an anniversary vacation for Sceptre Tours via Travelzoo and have actually learned that some of our friends have used Sceptre Tours in the past and had a wonderful experience.
  • Options
    We've bought a few of the travel Groupons.  In fact, our upcoming trip to Roatan (countdown in my ticker) is a Groupon deal.  As long as you research the hotel/area, read all the fine print, and ask any questions you might have in the 'discussion' section, they can be a great deal.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I second travelzoo. We scored an aweseome deal to Cabo a couple years ago and I've also found great hotel deals on there when traveling.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've never bought a groupon travel deal but have done quite a few with Travelzoo and found AMAZING deals. Make sure you read the fine print and also check out the locations own website and see if it is indeed a great deal.
  • Options
    We used Groupon for a resort called The Terranea in CA. The website for the hotel looked great and we were already heading out the CA for a wedding so we figured why not stay a few extra days. The rooms at that place go for $500+/night and we got them for $195/night, so we figured we would be back in some corner by the garbage cans or something. Not at all! We had an ocean front room that was AMAZING! We had full use of the resort - pools, hot tubs, spa, fitness facility, walking trails along the bluffs, private beach, etc. The staff was so friendly, the rooms gorgeous, and those "cheap" rooms became the highlight of our entire trip. In fact, it was so beautiful that is where my bf chose to propose! I will be checking out Groupon and Living Social before I go anywhere now, the deal could not have turned out better. Obviously check out the hotel reviews ahead of time. But don't be scared away by the low cost. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards