Second Weddings
Options

Cross your fingers for us.

So, we'd all but decided to wait for a year to buy a house. Our lease is up this month, but with my partner's travel for work, we didn't expect to have time to look for a house and just figured we'd renew the lease. But this weekend at Lowe's we got to talking about buying again. So while he was on this trip he had his mom, who's a realtor, pull some listings for us. 

She called me up this afternoon to go check a listing out with her. It's a fixer-upper in a good neighborhood, much bigger than I thought we would find. It's got a big deck, a fenced in yard for our dog, and it would save us almost $400 a month vs. renting. We'd planned to look for a starter home, but this is a home we could really grow into as we renovate.

I sent him pictures and he put in a bid.

It seems too good to be true, and it may well be, but I'm still allowing myself a tiny bit of excitement. 

Re: Cross your fingers for us.

• Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Buying a home is one of the most stressful and yet WONDERFUL things! 

Good luck!
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!!
  • Options
    coralee715coralee715 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. It is stressful, but buying is a direction we really need to go in. In our area, foreclosed properties go for a lot less (monthly mortgage) than good rentals do. So buying, although it's stressful, would really help long term with our financial goals.
    Plus, I'm a very competent handywoman- I can do anything but electrical and plumbing myself. 

We put in our bid last night. They accepted another offer, but ours is the back-up bid. 
  • Options
    calo1983calo1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    good luck
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *fingers crossed* Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fingers crossed for you!  
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck and happy hunting!

But remember, $400 off rent is very different than $400 in your pocket.  Houses eat money in maintenance, upgrades, and repairs--none of which you have to do when you're renting.  And since it's already described as a fixer-upper, you can already bet you'll be spending some of that money you've saved!

...that said, I'm really glad I've got my house!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Understood. I expect maintenance regardless of which house we choose. However, the real savings comes from being shielded from inflation. The cost of everything, including rent is going up. We will be paying a hundred more dollars a month than last year, and I expect it to continue. With a mortgage, I continue to pay the same, and over 20 yrs, that'll be significant.

The house we bid on, we probably won't get. We're the runner up bid. But when my partner gets home, we're going to keep looking.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards