Rhode Island

Hair and Make-up references

I'm getting Married in October this year, have everything else in motion, Venue: Cranston Country Club, Florist: The Flower Girls, Photographer: Keri-Rae Photography, DJ: Lou Paz, Dress: David's Bridal, Cake: Sin Desserts, and Tuxes: Men's Wearhouse. But I have no idea for hair and make-up, I'm kind of new to Rhode Island (moved here in October 2011) So I don't know where to even start for looking at hair places. I don't have a huge budget for hair and make-up. And I have 1 maid of honor and 4 bridesmaids, and I was wondering what the etiquette was for getting their hair and make up done. Does the bride pay for that or do they pay themselves? Any help would be useful. Thank you!

Re: Hair and Make-up references

• edited March 2012
    I am using Simply Beautiful by Kristin Greene for hair and makeup - she comes highly recommended on this board.  I think she is fabulous, she makes little goody bags for everyone after they've gotten ready and she travels to where you are getting ready.  Sara Faella & her glam squad, Skinplicity are both highly recommended, along with Sam C. who does hair.

I told my girls that they have the option of doing hair, make-up or both, but that they would be responsible for paying.  All but 1 wants to get their hair done, 2 will be getting make-up.  But I'm fine with them looking different, all do their make-up everyday so I'm not worried about that and the 1 girl who's not doing her hair, has short hair, so I don't think it'll be noticable in pictures.

IMHO, I think if you require the girls to get hair/makeup done, you should let them know wayy in advance and give them the option of picking where they go to get it done.  If you want them to do what you want, I would offer to pay at least a portion of it, if not offering to pay the whole thing (maybe as their gift?).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sarah Rebello - Hairstylist
    Jan Simone - Makeup Artist
    Both are excellent and they travel to you.
  • I used Lynda Williams of Formal Hair Design and Jennifer Hodge of Spectrum Makeup.  Both were absolutely amazing!  They were a pleasure to work with, had fabulous communication, were friendly, and made sure everyone was happy with how they looked.  I paid for everyone's hair and makeup, but I've been in weddings where that didn't happen.  If you absolutely want them to get it done, I think you need to pay for it.  If you are giving them the option, but not "requiring" that they do, you don't necessarily need to pay for it.
    Married July 2011; TTC since April 2011
    HSG and CD3 B/W - normal; SIS - one fibroid not impacting uterus; Several SA - low numbers across the board
    Moving right to IVF with ICSI
    ER: 8/17/12; 13R, 11M, 9F
    ET: 8/20/12; 2 "beautiful" embies transferred and 1 frobaby on ice
    Beta #1: 8/31/12 - BFP at 89!
    Beta #2: 9/3/12 - 315
    Beta #3: 9/10/12 - 6,109
    1st U/S: 9/24/12 - One little bean with a strong heartbeat!
    It's a boy!
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Blog: Project Make a Baby
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am going to my salon in Newport for everything - the day of. I am getting hair and makeup. I asked the girls ahead of time what they wanted, gave them prices and they would be responsible for paying. the Moms too. although, I might pay for my mom's hair and makeup. I have a mismatch of services - some are getting hair only, makeup only etc. I told them they can do whatever they want. I use RaNew salon and spa in Newport and they are very good. they also do facials, waxing, nails, etc.
  • I am getting my hair & makeup done at my salon (Albert Joseph Hair Studio) in Cumberland. They are a great group of girls and i never had anyone say anything bad about them.
    As for the BMs, I gave me the option of going with me or going on their own. A few decided to go do their own thing, but those who are going with me I am giving them some money (gift card) towards their hair and makeup.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I used Sam C for hair at the reception and I used Sara Faella and her glam squad for both hair and make up for my girls and my family. Sam is really affordable and while she is not a pro by trade, she is very talented. However, she does not have a website so pm me if you are interested. As for Sara, she is one of the few make up artists in the area that offers different types of make up applications including air brush (which was important to me b/c of my skin type and lengthy wedding ceremony). Her pricing is listed on her website along with a faq and a link to her custom couture hair accessory line. Her glam squad charges a less expensive rate too.They travel to you or you can have your hair and make up done at the salon or studio in Providence or Westerly. Sara and her glam squad are currently offering free make up classes every Monday night so its a good opportunity to meet with her and the glammies.

http://www.sarasglamsquad.com/

https://www.facebook.com/sarafaella/photos

• Ditto Sara Faella, she is awesome to work with and really well educated/skilled.   Her girls, Sara's glam squad, are great too!
  • I'm using

Rates are good and work is amazing!
  • Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions. I'll be looking into all of them! thank you all so much! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards