Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Need some ideas

We are having a small wedding. (probably 20 total guests) We have chosen a ceremony only at Le Jardin in Sandy (it's way prettier than the pictures. Check them out!) We decided that instead of paying a caterer, or the extra $150 to bring in our own food, we'll rent the clubhouse at our apartment complex. We will save a lot of money doing it this way and can decorate it with our colors, balloons, etc. There's a pool table, a TV, sound system, kitchen in it. I'm looking forward to using the space for a small post-ceremony get together.

I am struggling to come up with an idea for food though...I want to have a small cake and maybe some cupcakes for everyone (favors?) But what else? This will be January, so grilling may or may not be an option. I considered making sliders in the kitchen and a put it together yourself type set up. Or a pot luck style thing. What other fun ideas do you guys have?

Re: Need some ideas

• Salad, bruscetta, veggies & dip, fruit salad, and tea sandwiches are all quick & easy to whip up. You might want to consider having a local restaurant do the food. A lot of places have catering menus, though for 20 that might not even be necessary. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't have a potluck reception.  You should be hosting your guests, not asking them to provide food.  

What time of day are you thinking of having the wedding?  If it's during a meal time, you need to serve a full meal (it doesn't have to be a sit down, plated meal, but it needs to be enough food to fill people up).  I like PP's suggestion to get some trays of food from a restaurant, especially if you're going to have a full meal.  It's just a lot of work for you to do on a very busy day.
  • You can order sandwich platters through a local restaurant, or even subway, or get cold cut platters at Costco if you want to do a casual lunch. Costco also has platters of appetizers. Some nice things might be stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, fruit and veggies with dip, cheese and crackers, and maybe mini pizzas.

Other ideas for a full meal would be trays of pasta from either Pizza Hut or a local Italian restaurant (probably 2 choices - spaghetti and meatballs, and maybe a pasta primavera or fettucini alfredo), plus salad and garlic bread. Or a taco bar. There are lots of fast-casual places that can do that. Even Chipotle might cater with burritos and tacos.

I'd lean towards anything cold or room temp, OR something you can have delivered hot or heat up in the oven quickly. But don't go overboard with using the oven - you don't want to have to do too much work on your wedding day.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Italian, Mexican, Chinese, and Mediterranean restaurants are usually great options for large portions of food that can be served in trays for a big group--and it's usually very affordable. 

I'd look into something like that.  

Don't do potluck; as folks have already said--it's rude.  
  • Thanks for the super ideas!

We're doing more of a lunch/brunch thing. I will check out the costco options. All that can be replated to something fancier and no one to be the wiser. Wink It will be only our closest friends and family and nobody is picky there.

My only thoughts on pot luck was to have one of the guys bring some middle eastern food (since it feeds a lot, is way tasty, and my fiance is from Jordan). But probably too heavy for that time of day.

You guys all rock, and thank you so much for your kickin ideas. I'll check out some restaurants too for platter ideas :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_need-some-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:bb42d963-db8b-408e-84fb-fb7412bcd6a9Post:12c90f1b-cb60-411a-8206-15604ad68450">Re: Need some ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can order sandwich platters through a local restaurant, or even subway, or get cold cut platters at Costco if you want to do a casual lunch. Costco also has platters of appetizers. Some nice things might be stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, fruit and veggies with dip, cheese and crackers, and maybe mini pizzas. Other ideas for a full meal would be trays of pasta from either Pizza Hut or a local Italian restaurant (probably 2 choices - spaghetti and meatballs, and maybe a pasta primavera or fettucini alfredo), plus salad and garlic bread. Or a taco bar. There are lots of fast-casual places that can do that. Even Chipotle might cater with burritos and tacos. I'd lean towards anything cold or room temp, OR something you can have delivered hot or heat up in the oven quickly. But don't go overboard with using the oven - you don't want to have to do too much work on your wedding day.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Great ideas! I also love your sign off picture. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards