Virginia
Options

Do churches have strict policies for ceremonies if you don't belong to them?

I am episcopalian, and my Fiance is catholic, however neither of us really practice, let alone go to church regularly.  I would like to have the ceremony at an episcopal church, but I don't want to have him convert.
I'm also happy with the ceremony at the same place of the reception, however I would like a reverand to officiant.  I have 2 in mind that i grew up with, but one live in Florida, and hte other in DC.  Is it uncouth to ask them to travel to VB to perform the ceremony in a non-church setting, or in a different church?  Figured I'd get some of you opinions, before asking them directly.  Thank you!

Re: Do churches have strict policies for ceremonies if you don't belong to them?

• Options
    Yellow+BelleYellow+Belle member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would contact any church you're considering and inquire about their specific requirements. Different churches might have different requirements.

I don't think it would be impolite to ask, but I would, at a minimum, offer to pay for their travel expenses (and hotel, if needed) on top of any reasonable donation or fee.
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

A lot of churches will require you to be a member of the church in order to get married there, and many may not want you to bring in an outside officiant to perform the ceremony.  Becoming a member might be as easy as attending services for a few months, and may not require your fiance to convert.   But you'll have to ask the specific church you are looking at. 

DSC_9275
  • Options
    asams01asams01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am actually dealing with the same thing right now. I am catholic and my fiance is Lutheran, however neither of us are members of a church. I checked a couple of churches and most of the catholic churches required atleast one person to be a member of the church. A family friend of mine is a member of a Methodist church and I spoke with them today and since neither of us are members there is just a fee. Still waiting to hear back if I can have someone from outside of the church to marry us, since my Uncle is a Deacon, I wanted him to marry us. My advice is to just call around. From what I have heard many churches will just have a fee if you aren't a member of their church, which is usually way less than the charge for a ceremony site elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Good call.  Thanks for the input!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards