New York-Hudson Valley

Married Ladies....

Everyone has been a great help during all of our wedding planning. Now that our day has come & gone I need to get to work on changing my name.  What do I need to do first?  TIA.

Re: Married Ladies....

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    When you have your marriage license back, you first go to the social security office. Then you have to wait to get a new card in the mail, but once you have that take the new card and your marriage license to the dmv, where you can change your license, title, and registration.

At the same time, you can call up any credit card companies and banks and whatever else. Some need to see your marriage license but others don't.

If you got a passport within the last year you can change your name on that for free, as long as you send it in with your marriage license within a year of when it was issued.

Oh work is important too, you'll need to contact your hr dept so that they update everything, including your payroll name.
    imageimageimage
  • lauraNkieranlauraNkieran member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Do I need to wait till I have the new SS card to update things at work?  Or I guess I could just contact HR huh lol
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You do need the SS card, but I would contact them anyway. I know at our company we have a 30 day enrollment period after life events in case you want to enroll your husband under your benefits coverage.
  • edited December 2011
    i have been very bad the only thing i have changed over so far was my drivers licence, i have yet to change the name on my ss card and i guess since it hasnt been a yr i should change my name on my passport also,all my bank accounts are in my maiden name also.thanks for posting this it kind of reminded me of what i have to do LOL
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_married-ladies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:5c2f1cf1-385d-49d1-ab81-5e3090f8fcd4Post:0e83db99-c5f8-4bef-9fe6-f574ff42714d">Re: Married Ladies....</a>:
    [QUOTE]You do need the SS card, but I would contact them anyway. I know at our company we have a 30 day enrollment period after life events in case you want to enroll your husband under your benefits coverage.
    Posted by SandDD[/QUOTE]

I didn't need mine, so I guess check with your employer. I only needed to send them a copy of our license as well as one form and that was it. I believe I changed my name at work before I even went to the ss office.
    imageimageimage
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_married-ladies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:5c2f1cf1-385d-49d1-ab81-5e3090f8fcd4Post:0f18387e-afd5-436c-87a9-b33ade3c80bc">Re: Married Ladies....</a>:
    [QUOTE]i have been very bad the only thing i have changed over so far was my drivers licence, i have yet to change the name on my ss card and i guess since it hasnt been a yr i should change my name on my passport also,all my bank accounts are in my maiden name also.thanks for posting this it kind of reminded me of what i have to do LOL
    Posted by Jenni83[/QUOTE]

How did you change your license without your ss card having your new name on it? Just curious, but I was under the impression that the ss card must be done first because the dmv needed it.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_married-ladies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:5c2f1cf1-385d-49d1-ab81-5e3090f8fcd4Post:9d818f47-cc35-46ff-b1a9-f5fbebbec045">Re: Married Ladies....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married Ladies.... : How did you change your license without your ss card having your new name on it? Just curious, but I was under the impression that the ss card must be done first because the dmv needed it.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

you do not need your ss card to change your licence or your name at work, all you need is your marriage licence.i believe dmv had a record or your ss number from you when you reg with your maiden name
    when i went to dmv all i gave them was my old licence,and my marriage licence and ,i also changed my name with my employer with only using my marriage licence,the only thing i couldnt do bc i didnt change my ss card was put my tax return in my married name i had to do it in my maiden name.
    edited December 2011
    Well timing is everything ... I had something else to fill out for HR so I emailed the woman.  I can't change anything at work till my SS card has been taken care of.  I'm going to double check that the SS office in YO is open on Friday (I'm off for Good Friday) and hopefully I'll get it taken care of then.  I know if I don't do it now it will never get done lol
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_married-ladies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:5c2f1cf1-385d-49d1-ab81-5e3090f8fcd4Post:eee66070-e8db-4255-913d-32c0e0eb6f36">Re: Married Ladies....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Married Ladies.... : you do not need your ss card to change your licence or your name at work, all you need is your marriage licence.i believe dmv had a record or your ss number from you when you reg with your maiden name when i went to dmv all i gave them was my old licence,and my marriage licence and ,i also changed my name with my employer with only using my marriage licence,the only thing i couldnt do bc i didnt change my ss card was put my tax return in my married name i had to do it in my maiden name.
    Posted by Jenni83[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, I guess I didn't show it to them. I think I had read on a lot of boards here that you had to do your ss card first, so that's just what I did. I guess either one works first!
    imageimageimage
  • ssagessage member
    edited December 2011
    I have been married for 5 months and haven't really changed anything!

I changed over some credit cards but really, those are no big deal and you can do them whenever...most i did online and didn't require any documentation.

I have yet to do my benefits at work but will soon with the baby coming...

I have not changed my SS and will not change my license, registration and title on my car until my birthday in September when my license is up for renewal.  I just bought a new car a week before the wedding (ugh) and my friend who is an insurance agent recommended that for the license, etc.

I do know someone at work that has been married for 9 years and hasnt' changed her SS yet and has yet to have a problem
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    A co-worker of mine is married about 13 years and hasn't changed her SS card.  The woman we dealt with when getting our marriage license said everything has changed drastically since 9/11 so I'm guessing that's why people married before that haven't had issues.  Besides - how often DO you have to show your SS card?  Oh well, getting itall done tmro!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards