Wedding Etiquette Forum

East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend

Click to see it bigger - if I drag the corners to make it bigger on here, you can't read the text.

Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend

• Click to see it bigger - if I drag the corners to make it bigger on here, you can't read the text.

• My sister lives just outside DC and she says the lines everywhere are crazy long.  Hopefully the accumilation will be on the low side of what they are saying.
  • Damn, I can't tell if I should be buying liquor or am totally screwed. Either way, off to the liquor store!

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Best. Idea. Ever.

We're supposed to catch the top end of it and I'm all GRRR about it.
  • Yessss! I'm in the liquor store belt.

Really, though, I'm already stocked up with a couple of bottles of wine, or else I would have hit the liquor store. The grocery store today was crazy crowded, but I was impressed that they managed to keep the checkout lines moving. Only time I've ever been in that Pathmark when every cash register line was open.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Yes, must have liquor, not milk or toilet paper.  I'm glad we're all stocked up so that we can avoid the grocery/liquor stores!
  • Sarah - totally OT, but have you had Casapulla's subs?    A guest was to FedEx some down for us today, but I'm not sure it they were able to because of the storm.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • So if you're in the screwed category, can you still hit the liquor store?Tongue out
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:f6f2e238-20ce-40ca-81f0-8923b3d0108f">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sarah - totally OT, but have you had Casapulla's subs?    A guest was to FedEx some down for us today, but I'm not sure it they were able to because of the storm.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

No I haven't! Where would I get them? I am always up for trying new and delicious food.

The Thanksgiving subs at Capriotti's in Newark are some of my favorites.
    imageimage
  • I just love how everyone who was completely panicked yesterday was stocking up on milk, yogurt, eggs and frozen goods. What are these people going to do if we lose power? All their food will go bad and they will starve!!! Or...starve until Sunday night when the plows come through...

I will be sitting here staring out the window until 10:30 when Dh will brave the blizzard home. I am not excited about this and it just fuels our wanting for him to get a different job.
  • Mr. Arb is still at work too - he has no idea when he'll be able to head home, and he's on call this weekend too, so if there are power outages and servers go down, he's going to be working non-stop.  I'm not looking forward to this at all
  • oh crap - I'm in the "totally screwed" belt.

I'm actually in denial about the whole thing.  I'll let you know how that works out for me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:baaec1b9-852a-47ea-9a4b-3cc245d5347d">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend : No I haven't! Where would I get them? I am always up for trying new and delicious food. The Thanksgiving subs at Capriotti's in Newark are some of my favorites.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

I love the BOBBY  !!!!!  It's my favorite all time sub.  

The orignial Casapulla's is in Elsmere, but they have a few other locations. Our guest is cousins with the one who runs the Rehoboth Beach location. When he found out I was from DE he got all excited and he said he was going to have his cousin FedEx them down for us.. Along with Herr's and Tastykakes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think we need to have a pow wow arbs, we can drink ourselves silly while our husbands work. I already told Scott if he can't get home safetly just get a hotel room and put it on the credit card.
  • Hmph. I'm in the "hit the liquor store" category now, but we're going away to NH for a ski weekend. Maybe I'll hit the liquor store for some post-ski provisions?
  • Is it not snowing in PA yet?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:1377667f-48d4-4323-81b4-777af8d9f58e">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just love how everyone who was completely panicked yesterday was stocking up on milk, yogurt, eggs and frozen goods. What are these people going to do if we lose power? All their food will go bad and they will starve!!! Or...starve until Sunday night when the plows come through... I will be sitting here staring out the window until 10:30 when Dh will brave the blizzard home. I am not excited about this and it just fuels our wanting for him to get a different job.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

If it's cold enough to snow and have ice, it's cold enough to keep refrigerated food cold.   One thing I do is put bottles of water in the freezer.  A full freeze stays cold longer.  Not only that it will keep the refrigerator cold when the power is out.  You can always take out the frozen bottles and use them in a cooler.   Limit your access into the refrigerator and it will not get warm.

Living here I go through a lot of power outages,  I've never had a problem and we live in 80 degree weather.  You should be fine up there with regards to keeping food cool.   You on the other hand will have a problem keeping warm.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:e7ce98e7-3702-4d69-8d10-8446093c211e">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think we need to have a pow wow arbs, we can drink ourselves silly while our husbands work. I already told Scott if he can't get home safetly just get a hotel room and put it on the credit card.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

I'm debating on telling mine that too, if they're keeping him until 6 like usual.  He's leaving from Annapolis today, so there's plenty of places around him.  I guess it's just a matter of waiting it out for now and how quickly it progresses
  • Arbs, I hope your H makes it home okay. You guys should be able to snuggle at home together for the weekend and play BRB like the rest of us.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • edited February 2010
    This is also the best weather forecast I've ever seen.

http://www.accuweather.com/video-on-demand.asp?video=1671939093
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:d4b5b087-5508-4ad5-834c-72ae1cd9906d">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend : I love the BOBBY  !!!!!  It's my favorite all time sub.   The orignial Casapulla's is in Elsmere, but they have a few other locations. Our guest is cousins with the one who runs the Rehoboth Beach location. When he found out I was from DE he got all excited and he said he was going to have his cousin FedEx them down for us.. Along with Herr's and Tastykakes.

Yay for talking about a totally local food like the Bobby on a national forum! We should get TR in here and see if she's had one.

I'll have to head down to Rehoboth and check out Casapulla's. Sounds yummy to me.
    imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:84af742b-0528-4b0d-80bc-8ba2b48eb37a">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it not snowing in PA yet?
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]

Not in Philadelphia. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:84af742b-0528-4b0d-80bc-8ba2b48eb37a">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it not snowing in PA yet?
    Posted by arbolita[/QUOTE]

Not yet.  The snow isn't supposed to start until 5...at least that's what the weather man says.
  • sarah - they have a few in the Newark area.  Red Mill Plaza, Glasgow, Hockessin..

• We are getting lots of heavy snow in Indianapolis right now.  We are supposed to get about 5-7 I believe......
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:37939154-ecad-4d0f-8137-19db28638887">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]sarah - they have a few in the Newark area.  Red Mill Plaza, Glasgow, Hockessin..

Mmm, better and better... :)

ETA: Ooh, the Glasgow one is in the People's Plaza. I go there to see movies all the time.
    imageimage
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:68c83688-3f1a-424b-98b2-6e13479d8cb6">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend : Yay for talking about a totally local food like the Bobby on a national forum! We should get TR in here and see if she's had one. I'll have to head down to Rehoboth and check out Casapulla's. Sounds yummy to me.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

I'm here!  I just had a Bobbie for lunch too, YUM.  I loooove Casapulla's chicken steaks, they're the best.  There used to be one on 202 in Wilmington when I was younger, it's got to still be there.

I think Capriotti's actually started in Nevada or something.  EDIT:  I am totally wrong.  Started in Wilmington.  They just have a bunch of locations out west, too.

Grotto's is another thing we can brag about :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_east-coasters-should-storm-this-weekend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d60fc103-97e5-498e-b013-9a4ac82d6183Post:9ac91a19-f94d-49eb-995e-d06d3d99d034">Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: East Coasters - What you should do about the storm this weekend : I'm here!  I<strong> just had a Bobbie for lunch too, YUM. </strong> I loooove Casapulla's chicken steaks, they're the best.  There used to be one on 202 in Wilmington when I was younger, it's got to still be there. I think Capriotti's actually started in Nevada or something.  EDIT:  I am totally wrong.  Started in Wilmington.  They just have a bunch of locations out west, too. Grotto's is another thing we can brag about :)
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

I'm soooo jealous of you right now.. You have no idea.   The bread down here sucks.  Deli meat is not the best either.

eta - I heard if you show a DE license at the Vegas location you get a discount sub.  Now I do not have a DE license anymore.  But my VI license and my passport both have Delaware on it as my place of birth, I wonder if that would work?

• Grotto pizza?  YUM.  Whenever we're down at the beach we always drive into Delaware so we can get some
  • lynda - Good to know :) I had no clue fridges/freezers could keep the food cold that long. My one concern with a power outtage is keeping our chinchilla warm. She's bounced back and then some from her crazy sickness a few weeks ago, but if it gets below 60 in here she's going to be in trouble.

Arbs, last I checked we're only supposed to get 4" in the dc area before midnight, then it will get really bad. Hopefully they can get home before it hits. If its any consolation the beltway is perfectly clear and cars are flying right now.
    At least this time Dh threw a shovel in his car...we are not paying another towing fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards