June 2012 Weddings

Officiant Vent

We've been struggling to find an officiant because we want a civil ceremony only, performed by someone acting in a civil capactiy (rather than someone like a Unitarian minister who will perform a civil ceremony, but is still an ordained religious official). PA doesn't have JOP, they are called "district magistrates" and the ones in our area don't seem keen on performing a ceremony outside of the court house.

So our wedding planner has been looking for someone for us and she just sent me the info of someone...an "ordained" minister from...Dudeism. As in, the religion of The Big Lebowski. WTF?! Unless there is other information she isn't telling me, I highly doubt he is legally able to perform marriage ceremonies. 

The state of PA doesn't recognize ordained online officiants either. I don't know what my planner is thinking!

Re: Officiant Vent

• what is wrong with a minister who will perform a civilian service? what is the difference if they are religious or not as they would do it your way
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh my god I just laughed out loud. Dudeism? I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, that's just ridiculous! Do you have a friend that can get ordained online and marry you? That's what we did. FI's SIL's brother is a close friend and is very outgoing and funny and is very comfortable speaking in front of people. All he had to do was go online (not sure about the specifics of that part) and then file the request with the county and BAM- he can marry people. It's crazy. Does PA allow that?

Maybe try your local board too and ask those knotties? I know in our MN board I've seen lots of officiants names passed around. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My FI and I are both ex-Catholics (and atheists). Both our families are very unhappy that we are having a secular ceremony, so if we had ANY minister perform the ceremony, even a completely civil one, it would just cause more fighting. "oh so you won't have Father Smith do your wedding but Rev. Jane is Ok with you?" And ordained online ministers aren't legal in the state of PA.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards