Jewish Weddings
Options

First Rabbi Meeting

My FH and I are meeting with our Rabbi this week to talk about our wedding.

Any questions that I definitely should ask him?

Re: First Rabbi Meeting

• Options
    lachlomlachlom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What, if any, religious requirements does he require you use in the wedding? Does he require you to cover up(assuming you are wearing strapless or sleeveless) for the chuppah, and if so, to what extent? 
  • Options
    ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ask him to talk you through the service.
    Are you planning to exchange rings - if so, there are certain things you'll be saying
    Is secular music allowed (if you want it).
    Will he be explaining things to your guests along the way or should you create a program?

- We met with our rabbi several times in a counseling capacity, too - so we talked about the wedding only a little - most was spent on the marriage itseld.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some rabbis have particular requirements about the ketubah--traditional text, Liberman clause, who can witness--so ask about that so you make sure you're on the same page and so you know what kind of ketubah to get.  

I agree with PPs generally, too.  When you ask the rabbi to talk you through the service, make sure you ask about whether he views something as optional or required when he officiates.  I found it really helpful to read through relevant parts of Anita Diamant's The New Jewish Wedding before we talked through the ceremony with our cantor. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_first-rabbi-meeting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:b97fa615-1dbc-4bea-893c-f2ab231a6d72Post:8c91ec98-a70f-4413-9371-d9fde9debb72">Re: First Rabbi Meeting</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some rabbis have particular requirements about the ketubah--traditional text, Liberman clause, who can witness--so ask about that so you make sure you're on the same page and so you know what kind of ketubah to get.   I agree with PPs generally, too.  When you ask the rabbi to talk you through the service, make sure you ask about whether he views something as optional or required when he officiates. <strong> I found it really helpful to read through relevant parts of Anita Diamant's The New Jewish Wedding before we talked through the ceremony with our cantor. 
    </strong>Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

This. That book was so incredibly helpful! Definitely pick it up and have a read. It will give you some great ideas, too, about how to make the service more modern and personal (if that's what you're looking for).

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would ask the rabbi to walk you through what s/he does for a typical ceremony.

I would want to know what traditions s/he feels must be included, and which ones s/he is willing to allow open to interpretation.

We had a more egalitarian approach to our traditions and I wanted to make sure that whomever we used as a rabbi was open to that.

And I agree with everyone else, Anita Diamant's book is extremely helpful!

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards