Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

new to the knot community! need help on my small wedding

Hello Ladies,
I am pretty new to this community postings on the knot. but I wanted to say I love your advices that you ladies give to other knotties..... but i have one question I hope you can help with: My wedding is August 18, 2012 and I am having 60 guests at my fiance's church in fort worth I am having a ceremony then afterwards cake and punch there but my fiance was thinking about a reception....we don't know any affordable reception venue in fort worth, arlington, and dallas.

Should we do a reception after the ceremony or a party that night for all of our friends who couldn't make it that day?

Re: new to the knot community! need help on my small wedding

• Joe T. Garcia's in FW is a very popular place for a small wedding reception. Also Reata could be a possibility although I have no idea of the cost. It is generally thought to be poor etiquette to invite anyone to the reception that was not invited to the ceremony. You could however host an after party after dinner if you want to keep the party going.
  • thank you i'll check into that....I know I feel bad but my fiance wanted to do a wedding after party but I wasn't sure if a wedding after party really exist.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-knot-community-need-small-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:67f0479a-753f-4385-a4c0-afc3fc37102cPost:72576a02-c445-4a18-b6ee-e72426ee6f53">Re: new to the knot community! need help on my small wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]thank you i'll check into that....I know I feel bad but my fiance wanted to do a wedding after party but I wasn't sure if a wedding after party really exist.
    Posted by soonjwheeler818[/QUOTE]
    A friend of mine had a wedding after party. But everyone who was invited to the party was at or invited to the wedding. <div>
    </div><div>I think if you wanted to do spread through word of mouth that you might go out to X bar after the wedding and see if people would join. However, I think in this situation even that is questionable.</div>
  • My fiance wants to have the wedding after party at Victory Tavern in Downtown Dallas. I don't think some people want to drive that far to Dallas.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-knot-community-need-small-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:67f0479a-753f-4385-a4c0-afc3fc37102cPost:015bb979-0151-4a39-a8f4-7a0a5cdc1f44">Re: new to the knot community! need help on my small wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance wants to have the wedding after party at Victory Tavern in Downtown Dallas. I don't think some people want to drive that far to Dallas.
    Is he thinking like a party with invitations and renting out a room? <div>Or just "We're going over here after the wedding join if you want!" </div><div>
    </div><div>If it's the first, it's starting to sound like a tiered wedding which is generally considered to be against etiquette.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-knot-community-need-small-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:67f0479a-753f-4385-a4c0-afc3fc37102cPost:015bb979-0151-4a39-a8f4-7a0a5cdc1f44">Re: new to the knot community! need help on my small wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance wants to have the wedding after party at Victory Tavern in Downtown Dallas. I don't think some people want to drive that far to Dallas.

<div>We did something a bit similar.  After our reception ended, a bunch of us went to a bar that we liked to go to.  It was spread by word-of-mouth, and we didn't invite anyone who wasn't invited to the wedding (although some people found out and came).  Some of the WP also hosted an "after party" at the house of one of the ushers.  Now, none of this usher's roommates had been invited (we didn't know them very well), but they were at this party, and were told to invite anyone they wanted, but that was their right as hosts of the party.  And H and I ended up not even going.</div><div>
    </div><div>But as Stephie said, please do NOT invite people to this afterparty who are not invited to your ceremony and reception.  It's rude.</div>
    Anniversary

• Also check Los Vaqueros in the FW Stockyards. Very affordable.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_new-knot-community-need-small-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:67f0479a-753f-4385-a4c0-afc3fc37102cPost:015bb979-0151-4a39-a8f4-7a0a5cdc1f44">Re: new to the knot community! need help on my small wedding</a>:

You're right, that is quite a distance to ask guests to drive. If you aren't wanting a large reception, I think cake and punch (maybe even in a gathering room of the Church) to receive guests after the ceremony to mingle would be nice; then head off to any bar of your choice. Let it be your guests who make the decision to not attend the 'reception' so as to not commit a major breach of etiquette by not inviting some to all of the festivities.
    Some people see it as 'I was good enough to see them get married, but not good enough to go to the party' or vice versa.
  • I understand. My fiance just wants to party with everyone else at the Victory Tavern but now he wants a limo that night and he asked me how do I feel about that? since we won't have a limo after the wedding and that the limo will be me, him, and few more people who want to go....I think that would be too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards