Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

How did you choose a bakery?

We're planning our next trip to Pitt and the big thing on the list for this trip is to find a place to do our wedding cake.  How did you go about it?  Should we go to a couple places and tast first?  Or is it better to look through their books and find a design you like first?  Right now I have 6 places that I want to look into, but going to taste cakes at 6 places will put me in a sugar rush that I'll never come down from!  And how long did you spend at each place when you were trying to make a decision? TIA!

Re: How did you choose a bakery?

• Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we only taste tested with signature desserts-i knew their dessert buffet (including the wedding cake) was so affordable that it didnt matter how it tasted (though i knew from other girls that it was good!). we were there for at least an hour and ate half a cake in that time!

i know that from speaking to those that did tastings at bethel bakery that it seems they give you like the tiniest taste ever and didnt sit long with the couple. maybe it was a fluke and a one time kind of thing though? who knows.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We actually only tasted from one place - Cakes by Tammy.  She was on the recommended vendor list and I didn't feel like going to multiple places since we didn't have much time when we were visiting.  I had to send my mom to meet her, and she probably spent 30 minutes talking with her.  She gave my mom two 6-inch cakes (in flavors of our choosing) for us to try.  We loved them and immediately booked her.  I kind of wish we had tried more though, just to eat more cake :)  I would recommend tasting and see which ones you like best, then worry about the design.  But it depends on what is more important to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    218 invited image 137 accepted image 81 declined image 0 haven't said image
    RSVP Date 7/30/2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree...pick the baker first, then pick the design.  We went with Cakes by Tammy--she was super outgoing/friendly, prices were extremely reasonable, cake was good, and she can design just about any cake you want.  We tasted Bethel Bakery, their cake is extremely good, but price was important to us, so we went with Tammy. Each place was about 20 minutes. 
  • Options
    reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We only tasted one bakery, and it was a local one. I didn't even know it existed (yet had been in the same spot for like, 30 years) and one day wedding cakes in the window caught my eye. I drove that way on a regular basis and that was the first time i saw the bakery.  DH doesn't like cake, but i got a sample anyway.( the bakery makes a 8" round of the one you are most interested in and you get to take it home. mine was vanilla cake with rasp. filling.)   After one bite DH goes "Thats the best cake I ever had. thats the one." so, why keep looking?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only tried one place and that was Cakes by Tammy. I knew from the good reviews on this board and experience with her previously that that's what I wanted.
  • Options
    NJSLNJSL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much!  To us taste is most important, and we don't want to spend too much on the cake so I'll definitely check out Cakes by Tammy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We tasted cakes with a couple bakeries.  In the end, we decided to go with Moios.  Tony was reasonably priced, and the quality is excellent in his bakery.  I've bought a lot of cakes and cookies there in the past, and everything has always been delicious!!!  Our wedding was this past Saturday, and the cake was fabulous!! Everyone loved it, and Tony did a beautiful job!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second Moio's bakery.  I am getting my cake and cookies from them. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Signature Desserts is awesome. Their cakes and cookies are to die for! I was a little overwhelmed when they pulled out the "package deal" because my fiance and I are working on a very tight budget. As soon as I saw the list of items in the package, I felt like we'd have to keep looking for something cheaper - then she went over the prices. They are so affordable and offer a huge variety of options. Our first cake tasting was our only cake tasting. We can't wait to meet with them again to pick out our cake design!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards