Chinese Weddings

*mchong18*

Hey there,

I noticed your post about needing the perfect wedding date for your family, but can't seem to post a reply.

I got married this past May, and I don't get on the boards much anymore, but i did have the exact same problem.  I think it took my family maybe 4 or 5 months to finally pin down an date we were all happy with, and I know what you mean about it stressing you out and feeling down about the whole planning process... a few of us last year experienced the problem, and in the end it worked out perfectly for us all, so please don't let it get to you!  In the end, all that matters is that you both are married.

I had to just keep telling myself that they wanted what was best for us - my husband's family isn't Chinese, and it took some understanding on their part too to be supportive as well.  My family was pretty particular about what we had to do for the wedding and it was definitely not a "stress free" experience planning, but I wouldn't have changed a thing!  I wanted our families to have their special day too since I was the first to get married.  Just remember to pick your battles - the date thing seems as serious to your family as it was to mine, and it'll be much better in the long run for you to wait it out.  I feel like my family noted my patience and made some other parts of planning easier as a result (they must have felt bad for me!) lol

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and to remind yourself and your FI that things will work themselves out.  :)  Best of luck and congrats!

Re: *mchong18*

• edited December 2011
    Oh, and not to scare you about waiting 4 or 5 months on a date!  LOL  They were in no hurry to find me a date, and in the end I just let them go at their own pace, so I'm sure it'll be much sooner for you!  :o)

My DH and I did have a season in mind for when we wanted to get married (spring), so if you told your family that, maybe they'd be able to narrow something down for you -- hey, you gotta have at least a little say! :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards