Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Cancun-ing it up! Any resort suggestions?

My fiance and I are getting married in early September, 2012. It's kind of in between seasons, so we're not super positive about where to go, but our budget is screaming Mexico!

We love the clear ocean & white sands of Cancun... but aren't 100% set on it. We're thinking the Riu Palace in Cancun since it's within our budget even for a suite or junior suite. We've stayed at the Riu in Cabo and LOVED IT so we're comfortable with Riu resorts.

Anyone have any other suggestions in Cancun or perhaps another area of Mexico? We want ALL INCLUSIVE!

Re: Cancun-ing it up! Any resort suggestions?

• Options
    We stayed at the RIU Palace Riviera Maya in Playa Del Carmen and it was amazing. It was about an hour south of Cancun. Much more reserved and not as party hardy as Cancun.

• Options
    We loved the Riu Palace. Very nice and clean.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the input! Does anyone know if the Riu or Riu Palaces offer honeymooners a private dinner on the beach? If so, is that an additional cost?
  • Options
    RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Don't know about RIU Palace but the Sun Palace does.  You also get $1500 resort credit to use for excursions, golf or spa services.  We've been there twice and love it!  It's also adult only, which is a big plus.
  • Options
    We are also considering going there however, it doesn't look like they have a swim-up bar, which is really important to me, haha

Any Sun Palace booking tips? Was it affordable? It seemed like the Palace resorts were a bit pricer than Riu, Dreams, Secrets, Etc
  • Options
    LOL MOST of cancun isn't partylike at all.  get out of senor frogs and the clubs and you'll see that :)

• Options
    Yea, we definitely don't expect to see club-like atmosphere 24/7... especially in September (nowhere near spring break season). Still, a swim up bar is a must, I mean come on! haha
  • Options
    i agree. swim up bars are the absolute best! and there are some great restaurants in cancun-not only mexican but seafood, italian, thai, steak etc...
    if you find yourself in cancun and want to go to a spa the one at the royal sands is outstanding.
    the royal cancun always gets great reviews. i haven't stayed there (or any AI in cacun as we stay at our timeshare resort) but that, le blanc, secrets playa mujeres (about 25 mins north of cancun) get good reviews. there are many others too but i dont recall hearing any good or bad reviews on them.

• Options
    RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cancun-ing-it-up-any-resort-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:fcbdbed6-35dd-45de-be41-1ff6af5531a4Post:eae1bc58-2b4f-40ab-8f8a-9b404f1d2dab">Re: Cancun-ing it up! Any resort suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are also considering going there however, it doesn't look like they have a swim-up bar, which is really important to me, haha Any Sun Palace booking tips? Was it affordable? It seemed like the Palace resorts were a bit pricer than Riu, Dreams, Secrets, Etc
    Posted by Nikki71[/QUOTE]

I hear you on the swim-up bar! :-)  But to be honest, last time we were in one, it occurred to us a lot of people spent the WHOLE day there--um what about bathroom breaks?!

If it helps, they stock your room with liquor and there's a huge jacuzzi in the middle of the room.

I looked up a week-long stay over Labor Day and it came to $2500 for 2 people.  They still have the $1500 resort credit offer.  We've used that for couples' massages, excursion to ruins, private dinner on the beach and the dolphin experience.  I'm not sure how much those other resorts you mentioned are.  Another thing to keep in mine with the Sun Palace is that you get access, food and drinks at all the other Palace Resorts so you can mix things up.  Also, lots of Trip Advisor reviews report getting an upgrade when they mention their honeymoon.  We've been upgraded both times without even asking.
  • Options
    Ooo, thanks for that info! Yea, $2500 would be within our budget ad the resort credit is definitely a plus! It's on our list! :)

Oh, and I hadn't thought about people not taking bathroom breaks on a pool day... now I'm going to be worried haha
  • Options
    Ditto Bezlu.  Dh and I just got back from Sun Palace a week ago.  It was awesome.  They do have a swim up bar in one of the pools.  We checked out the Moon Palace and Isle de Mujeres Palace when we were there as well.  The island one has a swim up bar as well.  Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.  I just wrote one on there.  
  • Options
    Royal cancun was amazing! Review and pics in link above my siggy pic.
  • Options
    Where are you looking to find the info for "Sun Palace" ?
    Crista the DIY Bride Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    droberts504droberts504 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We've stayed at both cancun palace and moon palace. They all had the swim up bars but we are going back to moon palace for our hm because it had more restaurant choices.
  • Options
    If you go to www.tripadvisor.com and then type Sun Palace into the search box on the top right, it's the first resort that comes up.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards