Pennsylvania

Invite questions

First, are Save the dates necessary?   I think they are cute and would be fun getting it but I don't want to spend more money when it's not essential.  We were talking about it last night and FI thought maybe we could send the invites out a little sooner (like 3 months in advance  vs. 2) instead.

Also, we were talking about invitations and I think it's crazy to spend a lot on them only for people to throw them out after the wedding.  I would like it to be nice, but paper is just not important to me as far as the budget is concerned.

I know people have done a lot of DIY but as much as i love crafts, when i try do it, it looks like one of my kids in my class did it. So I was thinking of doing the Michael's/ AC Moore invites and printing them on our printer. 
Here comes my next question,  do you think it's worth doing it that way when you consider the cost of ink (i'm not sure how much printing them would use- we're inviting about 130pp) and some mistakes included i'm sure, or is it more cost effective to just go through a cheaper site to get them done?   

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invite questions

• edited December 2011
    For Save the Dates, I say only do them if most of your guests are out-of-town and need to budget for flights, hotels, etc.  100% of our guests were out of towners, so we sent them.

If there are a few family members elsewhere (like CA or something) just send them a save-the-date.  They aren't needed for local people.  We also sent out our invites 3 months early.

**note:: my husband just saw me type this and said he thinks they should go to everyone, even if they're just postcards done by Vista Print (they're free!) mailed out -- weekends fill up fast, so he said do them, even if cheaply, to get the word out.  Mind you, save the dates never have to be as formal as invites.

For printing, we printed our own -- it was REALLY time consuming.  To get the tiny paper to print correctly, etc. was a huge headache.  If you get the kits they are easier than what I did (which was buy paper at Papersource and then try to get it to work)  But if you really don't care too much about them, you could get nice paper (like cream resume paper), print 2 or 4 on a page, cut them apart, and then put them in colorful envelopes.  That seems like the least headache involved.

Honestly, I'm with you - don't stress it.  Most people throw them away (you mom may keep it, but that's it)
  • edited December 2011
    hi:)

I agree with the save the dated. We not doing it because to me is a waste of time and money.

As far as invitations. My friend bought the kits in Michael`s and followed the directions. She said it was A LOT of work and it was VERY time consuming. I have a meeting with a girl who does the invites tonight, so will be able to see how much does it costs. i found a great website www.zazzle.com that has A LOT of great invitations. Check it out! I think the prices are good too. I might used it as well, depends on this girl`s prices tonight.

Good luck,
    Beata
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Play getawayPlay getaway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks !

wow, 

I don't know how this

got so big.and cant

figure out how to change it 

but, i was suggested

by someone else to

check out  

theamericanwedding.com 

for invites as well,

might help you too!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Save the dates are usually only necessary when your date falls on a holiday weekend. I think you are on the right plan with sending yours out a little further in advance. I'm sure word will also spread through the family by word of mouth so don't stress.

Pop onto the DIY board http://tinyurl.com/62b6q67and Invites and Paper board http://tinyurl.com/69hre3k. The knotties there have turned ready made kits into really beautiful invites so you will find a ton of inspiration.

I would also recommend signing your email up to Vistaprint.com. It's becoming a very useful tool for the budget bride! They regularly send out free item and sale item emails. Simply use their software to create your designs or upload your design file. 
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    We didnt do STD's, and we only had 14 people not come to our July wedding. As far as invitations go, we did our own from michael's and didnt have any problems. We saved probably over 150 bucks and took us about a week to get them all done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards