Not Engaged Yet

Elope count: 1... and we're not even engaged yet.

So I was just at the visitation for my BF's aunt.  It was difficult, she's always been like a second grandmother to him.  I never met his grandma, so she was the closest thing I've known, so it's been pretty difficult.

The visitation was really casual, it was just a big room of people standing around talking.  Overall, pretty comfortable.  Except for the part where nearly every single person we talked to asked us why they weren't invited to the wedding.  When we told them that we aren't even engaged yet, they freaked out and wanted to make sure that they were invited when we do tie the knot.  Some of these people BF just met tonight.  And at a funeral visitation! Really?!

We talked seriously about running away to Maui. 

EDIT: Rereading this, I probably overreacted. Oh well. It was aggravating at the time.  But I'm in a bad mood and want to complain. In addition to the funeral tomorrow, I have to have an allergy test.. which involves being stuck with a huge amount of needles to see what makes me feel like dying.  Sounds like a flawed system to me.

And I'm getting a huge Sarah Jessica Parker mole zit on my chin.
B'awwwww Cry

Anniversary

Re: Elope count: 1... and we're not even engaged yet.

• paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Oh no. You did not overreact. My bf and I threaten to elope all the time. And just might. Families are nuts.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, that's not awkward AT ALL.

/sarcasm

Sorry it was such an overall crappy day. Frown
    Anniversary
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry. I don't think you are overreacting either. If your BF doesn't even know these people and they are accusing you of not inviting them to your non-existent wedding they are the crazy ones. I don't blame you for wanting to elope.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    That's really sucky! People can be very insensitive.

PS I threaten to elope...um...daily (and I'm not engaged either)! It's to the point now that I've said it so many times, I don't know if I even want a wedding anymore.
    He pretty much had me at "hello".
    -- PS I agree with whatever Jeana said --
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry people are so sh*ty...

If it makes you feel better, it could be worse...

I was at my grandmother's viewing two years ago, and as it happened, I was the only adult grandchild there without a significant other (one cousin was married, another was there with her FI, my brother's there with his long-time GF). I got grilled by more than one person that day as to why I wasn't settling down. More than one person pointed out that my "clock was ticking" (I was 24, for Pete's sake, not 40).

Best exchange of the whole day? A conversation with an older (less tactful) distant relative during the second round of calling hours. My younger cousin (9 yrs old) had been sticking pretty tight by my side that day, and she was listening to this entire conversation as it goes down. I'm not sure if he was trying to be funny or just has no tact, but my cousin inadvertently threw down for me. :)

ODR - "Don't you have a boyfriend or a husband or something around here somewhere?"
    Me: "No, not lately."
    ODR: "Well hell...you might as well become one of those crazy cat ladies."
    YC: "Actually mister, she likes dogs."

::ODR walks away very confused, I highfive YC::

Upside to this entire story? I met my FI one month later. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• edited December 2011
    I don't think you're over reacting. BF and I get that chatter at any family event once enough alcohol has been consumed no matter the event and it always seems to be at the most awkward moment (ie, in line at a wake or IN a bathroom stall)
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • atlcatloveratlcatlover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was rather newly engaged no one would butt out and mind their own business.  It was ridiculous.
    When I threatened to elope they knew I was 100% serious and figured if they wanted a wedding to come to they needed to stand down.  While they didn't butt out completely they knew better than to question anything from that point forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards