Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Piercings/tattoos at the wedding

Do you have any facial piercings, and will you wear them at your wedding? If you have tattoos that could be visible, are you taking any extra efforts to either show them off or cover them up?

I have two piercings in each ear, and my nose is pierced. I usually don't wear earrings in my second holes anymore, and I think I might not at our wedding either... but still debating that.

I'm also not sure about my nose. I like the way it looks on me but it's really not important to me either way. I'm trying to decide if I'll look back on the pictures and still like the way it looks, or regret it. Or if I won't notice it in pics at all.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Piercings/tattoos at the wedding

• Options
    I have a number of tattoos that were visible (in my wrists and my back) and I made no attempt to cover them up. They are me, Im not ashamed of them or my choice to have them so I saw no reason to cover up. We have a number of pics where my tattoos are visible and I dont even think twice about it - I just see me.
  • Options
    I'm kind of a believer that the way you look is the way you look and the tattoos and piercings, especially the ones you mentioned, wouldn't look horrible. They'd look like you, and that's not a bad thing...is it?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I am covering my tattoo that would be visible in my wedding dress. My dress is strapless but I am wearing a lace bolero with it. I am covering the tattoo because the ceremony will be in a Catholic church. I would wear the jacket anyway though, because I would feel a bit naked without it.
    It is really up to you in regards to the facial peircings. Personally, I would probably take it out because a nose ring isn't something I would plan to keep into my 50s or 60s, and I would like our photographs to look somewhat timeless.
  • Options
    I also have two holes in each earlobe and the cartiledge of my left ear pierced.  I always wear earrings in each hole, but I usually stick with small studs for the 3 additional holes and either studs, danglies, or hoops in the 1st holes.  I'll probably do the same for the wedding just because it would be weird not to wear earrings in all my holes when I always do.  As far as the nose piercing, I think if you keep a small stud in it rather than a hoop it wouldn't be tacky.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    I have a tattoo on my shoulder.  I didn't try to cover it, but the veil pretty much hid it during the church ceremony.  

I also believe in you are who you are, and you should look like yourself at your wedding.  
  • Options
    I absolutely think that tattoos should be uncovered. I would consider taking the nose ring out if it isn't a big deal to you though. Only because my friend has a small stud in her nose that looks adorable on her, but in pictures can be somewhat distracting. Like, sometimes it's just this strange sparkle on her face, and other times it looks like it could be a mole. It's cute in person, I just think it looks odd in some pictures.
  • Options
    I used to have an eyebrow piercing. If I hadn't been forced to take it out a year ago, I would have for the wedding. Because I knew I would take it out eventually. 

I have 2 holes in each earlobe and will probably wear 1 set of earrings. I also have 2 cartilage piercings that I will wear earrings in.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I kept my nose stud in for the wedding.  I've had it for 7 years and it just seemed natural to leave it in.  Plus, it's not hugely noticeable. 
  • Options
    My only tattoo wasn't visible, so I didn't have to worry about that, and I didn't have my nose ring in.  Well actually by that point I think I had pretty much stopped wearing the nose ring altogether since I couldn't wear it to school and just gave up wearing it on weekends.  I do agree though that every now and then the light can hit a nose ring in an odd way and make a big sparkle on your face, but it certainly wouldn't be a huge deal.

I really miss my nose ring :( It was cute. But now I think the hole is all the way closed up.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I have a tatoo on my chest, and it'll be visible.  It's about two inches by one inch, above my sternum.  I wasn't planning on it being in the wedding, but the dress I loved and bought has a deep V neckline and outlines it perfectly, so yea, it'll be showing.  
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I plan on leaving my industrial in and having my hair up.  I have a blue bar for it and I was considering making it my something blue.

I don't understand why someone would put make up or a shawl over a tattoo, but piercings like nose or lip I always see as temporary.  So it is really up to you if you want to keep it in.  I don't think you would regret taking it out, but leaving it in you may.

Are you taking engagement photos?  That could be your "test."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_piercingstattoos-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b633dc07-c62c-470a-b8e3-8ddfa4e5503aPost:5854eb8d-35c9-466f-a925-9a1a24548d6a">Re: Piercings/tattoos at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]. I don't understand why someone would put make up or a shawl over a tattoo, but piercings like nose or lip I always see as temporary. Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

It varies by religion and priest, but some churches prefer you cover tattoos. Some churches also do not allow strapless or low cut gowns.
  • Options
    Well, yeah, in that case by all means.  I meant when someone assumes that big white dress = fancy fancy fancy and their tattoo is suddenly not worthy.
  • Options
    I totally agree that you should look like *you* on your wedding day. I actually can't think of any photos of me where I've noticed my nose stud since I always wear tiny ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have a tattoo on my foot. When we did shoe shots, I didn't mind that the tat was showing. It's visible in a few pictures.
  • Options
    I have the tiniest silver stud in my nose and never considered taking it out. I wear it at work, so to me it's no big deal. One of my tattoos was visible on my upper back. I love all of my body art, so covering up wasn't an issue for me. One of my bridesmaid's has several tattoos that showed in her dress and I love the photos.
  • Options
    I don't post a lot in here, but I also plan on keeping in my nose stud. My MOH and bridesmaid both have tattoos which are beautiful. They have both offered to cover them up, but I don't mind at all. I am probably the only one in the wedding party without a tattoo!
    ~Erin~
    proud pagan
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes on the tattoos.

I have both nostrils and my septum and have worn them for 7-8 years now... I still can't decide if I'm wearing them or not. You think the sudden pinpoint of light on the nostril is bad, the septum hanging out of your nose is way worse.... but they are still "me".... I just don't know yet. Also debating on natural make-up and nails (I'm usually pretty colorful) so the decision might sway the piercings.....

Photobucket
  • Options
    The title of this post had me imagining having piercers and tattoo artists at the reception.  It'd certainly be a favor no one would ever forget.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_piercingstattoos-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b633dc07-c62c-470a-b8e3-8ddfa4e5503aPost:58f21ed3-02c5-42e4-a4a0-4204abd19c77">Re: Piercings/tattoos at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]The title of this post had me imagining having piercers and tattoo artists at the reception.  It'd certainly be a favor no one would ever forget.
    Posted by ThePinkSuperhero[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my reaction to the post title was "No, you should NOT force your guests to get matching tattoos of your monogram and wedding date."  Yes, was fairly certain that wasn't going to be the question, but it's still the first thing that popped in my head.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I have one tattoo on my left shoulder.  I am actually covering it during the wedding, for me... but more for my mother.  It was the only thing she asked about.  I'll will still be "me" with it covered.  Hell, no one sees it anyway since I stopped wearing tanks.  At times, I forget it's there, so I am fine with it not showing.

But everyone is different.  If you want it to show, go for it. 
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    FI and I each have two upper ear piercings, and plan on leaving them in.  I will have had my tongue pierced for 10 years at he wedding, so I'll leave it in.

One of my tattoos will be covered by my dress.  I've been pondering my other one though...

(that was brand new, it's not bright like that now.)  I'm debating on covering it with a big bracelet.  Partially because I don't want it to detract in pictures, and partially because I want a haute couture bracelet :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

• Options
    I have two holes in each earlobe, I wore pearls in both.  Since you don't care either way about your nose piercing and if think you might take it out permanently in the future, I would probably take it out on wedding day, too.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I wouldn't cover or take anything out. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    2 of my 4 tattoos will be visible. One is a flower on my foot, the other reads "Bello Amore" & it's on the inside of my arm under my elbow. I got it for my FI (we're both Italian). I definetly want to make sure to get some good pics of it.

One of my BM's has about 20 tattoos. She asked me if I wanted her to cover them & I said definetly not! They are part of who she is & since I love her-I love them!
  • Options
    My nose is pierced and I have several visible tattoos. I'm not going to be worrying about covering any of them or taking the piercing out. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I am going to be keeping my small nose stud in and wearing earrings in the two lobe piercings that I have in each ear. I agree with previous poster that they make up who you are. Two of my BMs also have piercings and one has tattoos and they will not be covering any of them. If I had more noticeable piercings, I may take them out for the wedding day, but I plan on keeping my nose stud for quite a while.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards