June 2012 Weddings

has anyone else...

Ok, so we got engaged a couple of weeks ago. Now we get all the time that we're too young I'm 23 and he's 24 (we're obviously waiting until June of 2012) but when we tell people that we're waiting they act all like appalled because it's such a long wait! Has anyone else experienced this?  

Re: has anyone else...

• I have. My fiance and I are both 19 and people think we are too young. We're not getting married until 2012 so that we'll be done with school and by then we'll be 21. Personally, I think people need to mind their own business. If we want to get married this young and think we are ready for it then no one else should have a problem with it. Even my parents (and his) are perfectly fine with this. Don't let it bother you though. Tell them to kick rocks and mind their own business! It's all about you and your fiance and what you guys want to do! 
    Marrying my soldier 06.08.12
  • I have people that ask why the wait, but when I explain that I have to finish college first, they all understand.  And either way, it wouldn't let it bother me.  You just focus on your big day and what is best for you and your FI. 
  • I think that you should just ignore them. If you're truely in love and know that you want to spend the rest of your lives together then that's all that matters. I get I am too young and I am 25 my FI is 28. So just ignore them.
    *Future Mrs.W* Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got married at 18, and to be honest yes I was too young. Neither of us understood what we were getting into. However this time around I think both of us are better off and we understand what we want.
    If they are giving you grief then just let them know that you appreciate their concern however it really isn't their decision. 
  • My fiance and I have been together for almost 7 years. We are both 22 and still in college (we also go to different schools that are a few hours apart).  I get the weird looks when I tell people the date (I actually had a lady laugh at me when I went to a bridal show) but I know that we are doing the smart thing and waiting. We are waiting until 2012 because I will be done with school and hopefully getting a job! Just ignore those people because only you can make those decisions about your life!
    I hate waiting but it will all pay off in the end!

Marrying my best friend June 2, 2012Laughing
    December 17, 2011 The Future Mrs. Gaines Wedding Countdown Ticker ExerciseMilestone
  • edited August 2010
    Hello,
    I have also had people laugh at me. It really is irritating. I will be done with school in a year and a half and he just got a job so we are wanting to have money saved and I want to be out of school. I have had someone tell me that there is no reason for me to even be engaged if I am waiting two years. We have been together 5 years so we know we want to marry each other, it's just about waiting for the right time. I like the long engagement. We have already been engaged for almost three months and I can not believe how fast it has went by! I'm glad it gives me more time to plan and enjoy being engaged! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I have been together for almost two years. I'm 23 and he's 26. I also get weird looks when telling people the date but I know that we're doing the right thing and waiting. I'm finishing school this semeser and start teaching 2011. I did not want to stress the wedding during my first year teaching, I've heard it's very stressful. I'm also having a big wedding, so saving for two years will allow me to have the wedding I've always wanted. The decision is up to you and whatever makes you happy, enjoy your engagment as much as you can. Happy planning :)

June 2012-July Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Venue imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I get it every time I say anything! We're purposely having a long engagement to save and because we have a child toegther it just makes more sense. But every time I try to explain it to a family member, they're like "why didn't you just wait to get engaged until next year"... uhm, because I was constantly being hit on in class and it looks really weird shopping for wedding stuff w/o a ring! :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do! My family doesn't want us to wait, they want us to get married next summer instead. His family is the opposite though they want us to wait because we are so young (were 19).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got that for awhile, but then again we got engaged back in November of '09. We had set a date (May of this year) and started planning when we decided it was more beneficial for me to go back to school than fund a wedding.  I actually had a woman ask if we were worried that we would break up during the long engagement... I almost died laughing!  If you need to get married in order to not break up then you shouldn't be together in the first place.  All a wedding is is the PUBLIC announcement of your love for religious, family and legal reasons... you don't need to be married to be completely in love, so what's the rush?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:2ecf0950-7821-4fb1-b98d-dad20124bfa3Post:06bc6e17-7fd5-47e0-9132-b9afdc2757e8">Re: has anyone else...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I have been together for almost two years. I'm 23 and he's 26. I also get weird looks when telling people the date but I know that we're doing the right thing and waiting. I'm finishing school this semeser and start teaching 2011. I did not want to stress the wedding during my first year teaching, I've heard it's very stressful. I'm also having a big wedding, so saving for two years will allow me to have the wedding I've always wanted. The decision is up to you and whatever makes you happy, enjoy your engagment as much as you can. Happy planning :)
    Posted by melissa852[/QUOTE]
    I think this is really smart...I am going into my 4th year of teaching and I know if I had anything else to do my first year I would have ripped my hair out!  We are actually waiting becuase I am in grad school and will be changing grades this year, so there is no way I could ever plan a wedding!  Good luck with your last semester and getting a job!
  • Im sooo glad I have this "forum" for us girls that are "waiting soooo long". I get the question all the time of why im waiting. Well, im saving money and enjoying my engagement (you technically, only get to enjoy it once in your lifetime). I am 23 and my FI is 25, we really arent in any rush, plus I will finally be finished with Nursing in May 2012, so thats why we are also waiting. Good Luck girls, and thanks for the support. -Katie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:2ecf0950-7821-4fb1-b98d-dad20124bfa3Post:c372055e-d5cb-4213-939b-eab0d4210462">Re: has anyone else...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have. My fiance and I are both 19 and people think we are too young. We're not getting married until 2012 so that we'll be done with school and by then we'll be 21. Personally, I think people need to mind their own business. If we want to get married this young and think we are ready for it then no one else should have a problem with it. Even my parents (and his) are perfectly fine with this. Don't let it bother you though. Tell them to kick rocks and mind their own business! It's all about you and your fiance and what you guys want to do! 
    Posted by neyav[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. My fiance just proposed to me the 9th of this month and we are both 19. Everyone gives us the lecture "You are only 19, go out and experience the world first" but my fiance and I will graduate from college and we will be 21 as well.
  • <p>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_anyone-else?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:2ecf0950-7821-4fb1-b98d-dad20124bfa3Post:50fd8d3e-3e26-49cf-81a9-deb15a6d33e8">Re: has anyone else...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: has anyone else... : I think this is really smart...I am going into my 4th year of teaching and I know if I had anything else to do my first year I would have ripped my hair out!  We are actually waiting because I am in grad school and will be changing grades this year, so there is no way I could ever plan a wedding!  Good luck with your last semester and getting a job!
    Posted by lindsers85[/QUOTE]

Thank you :) I've heard the first year teaching is very time consuming, which is what led me to my decision. I'm actually kind of nervous, I'm interning for 5th grade  :/ I also think you made a great decision waiting for grad school. It takes a lot of time off your hands being a teacher and a student. I can't imagine having to plan a wedding at the same time. Best of wishes in grad school and this upcoming year!!!</p>
    June 2012-July Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Venue imagePlanning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I have been together for 6 years. We started going out when I was 16, therefore by our wedding (June 9, 2012). Basically all of our friends have kids but we don't (not that there is anything wrong with kids) but I feel like our friends are putting some unnecesary pressure on us... well me maybe. They always ask, why are you guys waiting so long... blah blah! ughh sometimes its sooo aggravated!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards