Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Adults only wedding--how to word it on response cards?

Due to space and budget limitations, we have decided not to invite children to our wedding. Any advice for how to word this on the response cards/invitation so that there is no confusion, but still tactful?
Thank you!!!

Re: Adults only wedding--how to word it on response cards?

• Options
    Address your invitations to the people you are inviting.  If people RSVP with additional guests (adult or children) you will need to call them and explain that you are only able to host the invited guests.

It would be rude to call out who isn't invited on your invitations. 
  • Options
    Just address the invite to the adults.  If you have a wedding website you can list it there.  If anyone RSVPs with their kids just call them.  We had an adults only wedding and the few people that did ask about their kids were very understanding when we said no.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    abt87abt87 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    You could say:

___ of 2 seats reserved in your honor. 

That way it says only two seats are reserved for them. Address inner and outer envelope to the adults you are inviting. 
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Adults only weddinghow to word it on response cards?:[QUOTE]You could say:___ of 2 seats reserved in your honor.nbsp;That way it says only two seats are reserved for them. Address inner and outer envelope to the adults you are inviting.nbsp; Posted by at842205[/QUOTE]

Be careful with that. It can lead to substitutions if an adult can't make it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_adults-only-wedding-how-to-word-it-on-response-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f07897a2-52cf-4de3-af21-1bfdb4f723eaPost:a9f4d17d-def8-4d48-a5ab-14b2aadc31c9">Re: Adults only wedding--how to word it on response cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know many consider it poor etiquette, but the first line of my reception card says, "Adult Reception",  followed by info on when and where the reception will be held.  I don't have the time to deal with calling people who mistakenly think their children are invited to the wedding.  My sister used the same approach for her wedding 2 years ago, and this cleared up any confusion and saved a lot of aggravation on her part.  <strong>I did not hear of anyone griping about poor etiquette for her wedding.</strong> Good luck!
    Posted by sjsekerak[/QUOTE]

<div>Just because they didn't say it doesn't mean they weren't thinking it. It is still rude. </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, you could also do:</div><div>
    </div><div>Mr. Smith ____accepts  ____declines</div><div>Mrs. Smith ____accepts _____ declines.</div><div>
    </div><div>Same idea as the PP who said 2 seats in your honor, but this is more specific. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_adults-only-wedding-how-to-word-it-on-response-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f07897a2-52cf-4de3-af21-1bfdb4f723eaPost:3e85897e-3974-4851-84c6-d8029026f98b">Re: Adults only wedding--how to word it on response cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Adults only wedding--how to word it on response cards? : Just because they didn't say it doesn't mean they weren't thinking it. It is still rude.  OP, you could also do: Mr. Smith ____accepts  ____declines Mrs. Smith ____accepts _____ declines. Same idea as the PP who said 2 seats in your honor, but this is more specific. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

I like this! politely stealing ;)
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Adults only weddinghow to word it on response cards?:[QUOTE]I know manynbsp;consider itnbsp;poor etiquette, but the first line of my reception card says, quot;Adult Receptionquot;,nbsp; followed by info on when and where the reception will be held.nbsp; I don't have the time to deal with calling people who mistakenly think their children are invited to the wedding.nbsp; My sister used the same approach for her wedding 2 years ago, and this cleared up any confusion and saved a lot of aggravation on her part.nbsp; I did not hear of anyone griping about poor etiquette for her wedding. Good luck! Posted by sjsekerak[/QUOTE]

That hardly makes it the appropriate approach.
  • Options
    Good luck! I addressed my invites with the adult names only and they called my mother...who is nowhere on the invite...to let her know they they will be bringing their babies and children...to my 6pm reception where I know there will be drinking. Now I have to buy more chairs and food. They didn't even ask, they just stated they will be bringing them. She tried to explain to them that it will be going late into the night and there will be a lot of drinking...they said they would still bring there kids...this has happened with 3 families now, all with multiple kids, all under 8 years old, some toddlers and even infants. Lovely.
  • Options
    jandd421~Ugh! That sucks.

I just wrote "Adults only, please." on my Save the Dates, website and will on the invites too. Who doesn't get that?
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Adults only weddinghow to word it on response cards?:[QUOTE]jandd421Ugh! That sucks.I just wrote "Adults only, please." on my Save the Dates, website and will on the invites too. Who doesn't get that? Posted by krisstyle12[/QUOTE]

That's a 'knock you upside' the head rude way to state it.
  • Options
    My concern now is I will have to get more tables, purchase more chairs to rent and also get more food for all of my unexpected additional guests...we also had adults write people in. Can't wait till this is over!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_adults-only-wedding-how-to-word-it-on-response-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:f07897a2-52cf-4de3-af21-1bfdb4f723eaPost:de23164a-ea74-43e3-b4e9-d5118acdd545">Re: Adults only wedding--how to word it on response cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My concern now is I will have to get more tables, purchase more chairs to rent and also get more food for all of my unexpected additional guests...we also had adults write people in. Can't wait till this is over!
    Posted by jandd421[/QUOTE]

Just because people responded that their bringing uninvited guests does not mean that you need to welcome them.

Call up the guests and explain that you apologize for the confusion but the invitation was only to the couple on the invitation and not their children.  If they're wanting recommendations for a local sitter you're happy to give recs.

That their over-stepping their boundaries is not a license to grant them the request.
  • Options
    I think this is a nice solution - however, will you handwrite each guests' name - leave space for 2-4 lines of guests names per RSVP card and leave 2 blank for couples vs adults with college-aged "children" who will be included? Or ask your printer to print a unique card for every set of guests? That may run the risk of printer errors and doesn' offer flexibility if your list changes between the time you order and when you send invitations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards