Iowa-Quad Cities

wedding planners?

So im thinking of getting some help from a wedding planner but cant find any that are not so expensive.. anyone have any sugestions?

Thanks
Teesha =D

Re: wedding planners?

• If you want someone who will help you plan your wedding start to finish will be pretty expensive, unfortunately.  A great alternative is to hire a day-of coordinator to be your go-to person on the day of your wedding.  Most wedding planning companies have those options.  If you'd rather have someone help you every step of the way but without the large price tag you could try asking around to other brides you know or any family members that might now someone who can do it for a reduced price or as a family favor (my future MIL has a cousin that is a wedding planner and she's helping us out for no charge!).
  • I'd be happy to help you out as much as possible! I can give suggestions, get you in touch with the vendors, etc. :) Let me know what you're looking for!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A lot of venues (esp. hotels) have wedding or event planners as part of the staff who work with you as part of the rental agreement.  I think Blackhawk hotel in Daventport and the University Club of Moline both have a staff planner.  You'd probably get less personal attention, but they would know exactly what that particular reception hall needs and where to get things.  
  • just dont try to go to the blackhawk if you are gay. they wouldnt even return my phone calls.  same with the Raddison in Davenport. As soon as they found out we were a gay couple, all the dates that were available magically booked in an hour time frame. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ifisifis member
    First Comment
    wow, really? that is horrible! thanks for the info, i know i will not take my business there. i hope you found a better venue.
  • That seems really strange to me! I'm part of the Quad Cities CVB & we're members of the IGLTA and I believe Hotel Blackhawk and Radisson are too. I've known many same-sex weddings at Hotel Blackhawk and the General Manager just married his partner earlier this year. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience! Let me know if I can help you find a wedding/reception site and/or an officiant! Our offices have a lot of contacts and resources.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-quad-cities_wedding-planners?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:93Discussion:e98c6cdc-9f67-4ab6-bed2-42a020703bb0Post:91dc4723-6458-4fac-b790-2df2f9de9e63">Re: wedding planners?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That seems really strange to me! I'm part of the Quad Cities CVB & we're members of the IGLTA and I believe Hotel Blackhawk and Radisson are too. I've known many same-sex weddings at Hotel Blackhawk and the General Manager just married his partner earlier this year. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience! Let me know if I can help you find a wedding/reception site and/or an officiant! Our offices have a lot of contacts and resources.
    Posted by JoanerMarie[/QUOTE]

We found a venue who was more than happy to take our business, but thanks for the offer. I thought about making formal complaints,but decided against it.  What really gets me is the Raddison, they flat out lied to us.  After our dates were suddenly "booked" at the Radisson, we had a girl friend of ours call a week later. Guess what? Those dates were available again!  The Blackhawk not responding to us could be more of just bad business, not discrimination, but I whole heartedly believe that the Radisson discriminated against us. Looking back, I wish I would';ve contacted the civil rights commission. Instead, we've opted with letting all our relatives, business associates, and friends know about the Raddison so they can avoid giving them business. When the sales rep found out it was two guys, she just stared at us and made her assistant deal with us. We got a two minute tour of their facilities.

On the other hand, places that I contacted that were accomidating and willing to work with us were:
    River Music Experience
    Best Western Steeplegate Inn
    The Lodge.

We ended up going with another venue, who has been great, and after the wedding I'll let you know who it is, and also about all the other great vendors that have been excellent to deal with .
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks! That's really disappointing to hear & I agree about contacting the civil rights commission.  Well congratulations to you and your fiance and let me know if you need any welcome packets for your out of town guests! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards