July 2012 Weddings

Brazilian Blowout

I am planning to get one for the first time in May so that hopefully it will last until my wedding bc my FI will kill me if I spend $250 on my hair twice on top of getting it done for the wedding!  Who has had one?  Did you love it?  How curly is your hair to naturally?  How long did it last?  Did it cut down your styling time a ton?  
:)AJ Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Brazilian Blowout

• I've had it done.  What are you doing to do to your hair?  is your hair kind of wavy/curly with a little frizz?  This is what my hair is and it took the frizz out and made it much easier to flat iron/blow dry in the morning.  If you don't flat iron it it will be slightly wavy.  If you get it done well it should last 3 months.  And i believe they say you can wash it soon after but I would wait to wash it.

I must say that I preferred japanese straightening (which leaves hair pin straight which i didn't mind).  This lasts until you cut it out of your head.  So you may see curly/wavy roots but it takes mins to straighten that.  If you have a good hairdresser they should also have no problem giving you curls the day of the wedding.  I did japanese straightening for 3 years and those were the best years of my life (hairwise).  But like I said that's if you want to have wash and go hair.

It's best to go to a place where you know people who have gone or you can read their reiews.

weddingcake-1
  • I've done the Brazilian once, but then switched to the Global Keratin because it's much better for your hair.  I loved it, but I'm not doing it before the wedding because I'm going to have my hair in curls that day and it does make it harder for curls to stay.  I never used the products they said to afterwards because I get a flaky scalp from any shampoos, conditioners or styling products that are designed to straighten hair and mine still would last 3-4 months.

My hair is more on the wavy side than curly, but I'm also 90% gray (started going gray at 20) so my hair is more coarse.  For the first 1-2 months, all I have to do is blow it out for it to be straight.  The last 3-4 months, I might have to flat iron it a bit in some spots where my hair is curlier, but definitely cuts the getting ready time a lot.

Like the PPs said, a lot depends on how curly your hair is to begin with as well as how good the person is doing the treatment.  Japanese straightening is more damaging to your hair, but it does give that totally straight look, but you won't be able to get it to hold a curl to save your life.  If you can wait, there are Groupons all the time that are much less than $250 for these and that way you're not out as much money if it doesn't take so well to your hair.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I had it done twice, and I plan on doing it again before the wedding, but more like a month and a half before because I wnt my hair to regain some of the volume.

My hair is not super curly, but is very frizzy/wavy and very fine so it really did make it wash-and-go easy. I loved it. It definitely took a lot of the volume out of it, though, so if you're planning on doing something with volume for the wedding, realize it won't take quite as well. Your hair will also not hold curl very well.

For me, it's worth it because I don't want to be worrying about my hair on my honeymoon and I think my hair is going to be all-up for the wedding anyway, so I'm not that concerned about missing the curling/volume aspect. Plus, if you're doing it on the timeline you suggested, you should regain some of the volume/curl holding capabilities.

USE THE SHAMPOO THEY RECOMMEND (sulfate free). It's not just a sham.  The first time I used it and the second time I didn't. I noticed that the blowout didn't last as long the second time when I used normal shampoo.

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My hair is extrememly curly, coarse and thick.  I'm half african american if that helps explain my hair texture.  Even if it just shortens my day to day styling time and helps with frizz I will be happy.  I am so worried about my hair being super frizzy for my wedding even if its up bc it will be really humid here in July.  Thanks for the input.  I plan to use the shampoo & conditioner they recommend after for sure.  Its actually part of the price of getting it done.  I only wash my hair one time a week anyway bc of my hair type so hopefully it will last for a at least 8 weeks for me.  Thanks again for the input!  :)
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a little late to this thread, but I've gotten 2 Brazlian Blowouts since October and I can't recommend them enough.  Yes, they're really expensive.  But they have saved me SO MUCH TIME getting ready in the morning, so to me, it's been worth it.  I plan on getting another one a month before my wedding.  I really notice it starting to fade at the 3 month mark, but I wash my hair about every other day.

My hair is long and thick and was really wavy to curly.  I'm half Puerto Rican so I also have coarse, frizzy hair.  The smoothness of the Brazilian is unbeatable.  It takes about a month for the volume to return.

Let us know how you like yours!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards