Kentucky
Options

Question from a Virginia Bride

Hey!  Im from the DC Area boards, but FH and I are interested in honeymooning somewhere in KY!  We really liked the Lodge at Glendorn in Pennsylvania(http://www.glendorn.com/), but they are booked full for the week we'd want (our wedding is July 3, 2010, and we would like to honeymoon July 4-8).  Do any of you know of any other similar destinations in Kentucky that we could check out?  We would prefer a lodge like this one, but a nice B&B might be alright.  We want to stay away from hotels and cities.  FH also really liked the options for hunting at Glendorn.  Thanks!!!
"This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Question from a Virginia Bride

• Options
    edited December 2011

You could look around the Red River Gorge area, it is a beautiful area, or around land between the lakes, Barren River Lake State Park. 

If you're interested in hiking or anything like that Red River Gorge is THE place to go, you also can't go wrong with the Mammoth Cave National Park

• Options
    edited December 2011

What about Gatlinburg? Somewhere like this: http://www.whisperwoodretreat.com/

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank y'all so much :)  I'm gonna go look into these right now!
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Land Between The Lakes would be my suggestion.  Things to note:  Pretty much everywhere along the lakes is dry, so you'll need to take beverages with you if you want them.  I think the Kentucky Lake area is a big nicer than the Lake Barkley area, but only a bit.  There are a number of privately owned resorts, both big and small, plus Green Turtle Bay, and the three state parks - Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and Kentucky Dam Village. 

If you do decide on that area, I went to college down there (Murray State) and would be happy to give you a semi-local's opinion of whatever accomodations you're interested in.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you squirrly!  I haven't had the chance to look into it yet, but when I do, if I have any questions, I'll definitely message you :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that There are lodges in some of the state parks this website shows some. http://parks.ky.gov/reservations/rooms/I know cumberland falls has a lodge as well as natural bridge. You may also be able to find some cabin rental places.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cumberland Falls!  I love it!  We actually almost mini-mooned there, but are going to just stay in Louisville. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards