Catholic Weddings
Options

Billings question

Is there a way to know for sure that you ovulated with Billings since there aren't temps to confirm?  Can you reach a normal peak and dry up without ovulating?  I been using Billings for 6 months now (used STM before) and never had an issue before.  

I'm 7 days late based on my usual LP but I got a BFN when I tested 2 days ago.  Is it possible that I just didn't ovulate?  

Thanks for any advice :)     
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Billings question

• Options
    edited December 2012
    It might be that you didn't ovulate or that you were delayed.  When I started taking vitamin D, it lengthened my cycle by about a week, so I definitely thought I had gotten pregnant.

When I was having annovulatory cycles, I could usually tell because (TMI Alert) there was never "slippery" type CM.  It would just be damp pretty much the whole way through.

The actual date of ovulation is usually determined by having a significant change from slippery to dry.

You might check out ovulationmentor.org.  My OB/GYN (A Billings expert) recommended it to me.  You fill in information and it chooses the sticker for you.  The only things I don't like is that it assigns you a username which you cannot change, and it has a couple of glitches (like, if you have sex two days in a row AND you have any fertile-type sensations, it doesn't always let you enter both and then it "yells" at you).  I found it really helpful in figuring out where my peak was (also, we got pregnant on the first cycle that OM observed a peak).
    Anniversary

• Options
    I know nothing about Billings, but from my general NFP knowledge, I think it is possible to show some "peak" signs without getting to ovulation. This can happen in women with PCOS.
  • Options
    I don't use Billings, but I use Creighton, which is also CM only. I have had cycles where I "peaked " without ovulating, as evidenced by ultrasounds. I have PCOS, so I suppose I prove Riss' point :

• Options
    Thanks for all the input.  So if you "peak" without ovulating, does your period not come until you peak again with an actual ovulation?  I've never had a cycle like this before.  I hope I haven't developed PCOS.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I had a period every month even without ovulating.

Edit: Also, you can have variations of polycystic ovaries without actually being diagnosed with PCOS.  Talk to your OB if you have concerns.  I know that I was seeing issues with my chart and found an NFP doc in town and with an ultrasound she confirmed that I hadn't ovulated in at least a month (back in June).  It might at least put your mind at ease!
    Anniversary

• Options
    You can definitely have "periods" with anovulatory cycles. In Creighton, you can have mulitple peaks, though my understanding is that Billings cannot.

I second contacting an NFP doctor. In the mean time, the recommendation on TB is always to test once a week until something happens (AF or BPF) or until CD60. At that pooint most OBs (some may go to 90 days) will do a progesterone challenge that, for most people will force a period (or point to other issues). With charts, an NFP doc (or NFP friendly doc) will have a better idea of when/if you ovulated and may be more proactive in figuring out what's going on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about PCOS...sometimes you just have an anovulatory cycle.  However, if this starts to become a trend, then perhaps you should see an NFP doctor, just to get peace of mind.  Keep us posted Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards