Snarky Brides

gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it

Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:9c0bd03d-acaf-457d-9d2f-680d886bf29f">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : Did you put the same disclaimer on your status?  That could have prevented this whole thing.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

I know when my friends put a disclaimer to not read I close my eyes until I have scrolled their status off of my screen so as not to be offended.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:91cd927a-b16c-4a9f-b17a-678d4e8be876">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : I know when my friends put a disclaimer to not read I close my eyes until I have scrolled their status off of my screen so as not to be offended.
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]
    Me too.  I can't chance it, you know?
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I just hide people from my news feed if they post political stuff that I disagree with. It makes my life very happy.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I might add that plenty of conservation-even very conservative people do not see the issue your friends way. My brother is a Priest, bona fide and while he is 100% against the church ever accepting gay marriage, he believes it is NOT a matter for the state to decide the gender of person you marry. He also firmly believes abortion is stone cold murder (like me shooting someone) but again thinks it should not be legislated. Go figure.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:2c52f9c2-7f76-45b4-b898-20184bcba937">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just hide people from my news feed if they post political stuff that I disagree with. It makes my life very happy.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why you didn't respond to my praying-to-guns-in-school-protesting-abortions-and-reinstate-the-literacy-test tirade. 

• I do the same Sarah, with those people and the ones that insist on putting bra colors/numbers/locations of purses in their status. All hidden.
  • Wow, a lot of people are really upset about this! I agree with those who are saying that you should distance yourself from her - it's one thing to have opposing viewpoints but it's another to disrespect another's views. And I would expect to be able to put up viewpoints on facebook and have all sides of the issue brought up, but since I am only friends with people who respect me, as I respect them, I would not expect to be "attacked" in any way. If she attacked you, you don't need to be friends with her. By the way - if you want to try to put up a little argument on your side of things, especially about the "bad christian" comment, have her watch "For The Bible Tells Me So". It's an incredibly powerful documentary that advocates for the right to be gay AND a christian!

Good luck, I hope that you see no more drama from this!Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:9230c4cc-e598-42d7-95de-4c5a92f7dc3b">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : I was wondering why you didn't respond to my praying-to-guns-in-school-protesting-abortions-and-reinstate-the-literacy-test tirade. 
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a good rant. You should add something about how Obama is a Muslim who was born on Mars, but he also sacrifices to Cthulhu.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:fa08222e-51e1-4139-b111-197c5d2300e7">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : That sounds like a good rant. You should add something about how Obama is a Muslim who was born on Mars, but he also sacrifices to Cthulhu.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Oh duh, I forgot the best part.  You must be on my admin's email distribution list, too.

• OP, instead of sitting there smiling while your friend bashed Democrats you should have said something then.  If you really believe in something, it's not difficult to stand up for it.  You've allowed her to make comment after comment and just got angry which does no good. 

One of my best friends turned into a Bible Thumping Sarah Palin Republican after she married her husband (even her Republican parents are appalled) yet she knows that I oppose almost everything she now believes in and I know where she stands.  We know better than to make it personal.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • mkrupar good point. i never thought of it that way. I have decided just to exclude her from those posts if I feel so inclined to talk about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • she said this:

"I wasn't trying to start a debate, just stating my difference of opinion, and I guess I made the wrong assumption about your beliefs. Sorry."

so I am happy with that. maybe hse isn't as rigid as I thought...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:c95820bc-31fc-4d1b-9a47-9ec1895d388c">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]she said this: "I wasn't trying to start a debate, just stating my difference of opinion, and I guess I made the wrong assumption about your beliefs. Sorry." so I am happy with that. maybe hse isn't as rigid as I thought...
    Posted by lilcassers[/QUOTE]

So if she apologized, and you're happy with it, what's the big issue?

It would not appear that you're happy with that.  Just saying.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:c95820bc-31fc-4d1b-9a47-9ec1895d388c">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]she said this: "I wasn't trying to start a debate, just stating my difference of opinion, and I guess I made the wrong assumption about your beliefs. Sorry." so I am happy with that. maybe hse isn't as rigid as I thought...
    So what have you learned from this experience?
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • she apologized 5 min ago.........
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First, that's why I don't put anything like that out on FB for the world's idiots to comment on.

Second, if a close friend of mine called me out like that, I don't think that there is much that she could say to make it better.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:a40184d1-6e05-405a-bf16-70f8f6b258f9">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]she apologized 5 min ago.........

Oh, well that makes more sense then.  My bad, yo.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:4a154c63-8741-4720-a369-634d25f9fadf">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : So what have you learned from this experience?

I feel like I'm in school. :-) 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:2d5410ae-4c15-43fe-a6bc-1fb46146e18f">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : I feel like I'm in school. :-) 
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]
    Haha!  That was my point.  I'd love to know if OP is learning from this or if she's just going to go on upsetting people and being outraged that their responses.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • I'm sorry OP.  I really can't get it up for your plight.  If you're going to open yourself up for that kind of jabbing on Facebook when you know you have conservative friends who will comment and disagree, then that is just really fucking stupid.  It's like you wanted to get all up in arms about this, which I don't understand... I just like being in a good mood as opposed to feeling angry, I guess.  I support the gay community's right to marriage too but I'm not going to be Facebooking about it.  There are other ways to be an advocate than to be a Facebook whore.  Kinda reminds me of those "change your profile picture to a cartoon for child abuse awareness" deals.  Pretty dumb.

I'm glad your friend, or whoever the hell she is apologized.  Hope you all can move on from this and that you've learned that Facebook is not a soapbox for lame-ass drama.  Cheers!
    panther
  • I consider my Facebook rants a fail unless I have AT LEAST one person come flying in with technoclaws raised for verbal shreddage.  Life would be horrifically boring if everybody agreed with me, or didn't but was perfectly pleasant and non-confrontational about it all the time. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:7d5b07a3-a6bd-4a55-b061-f4a774ebcf0b">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : Haha!  That was my point.  I'd love to know if OP is learning from this or if she's just going to go on upsetting people and being outraged that their responses.

Totally agree. So OP got an answer for Betrothed?
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:6ba8f187-3950-49de-93c9-a29071ac5898">gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just annoyed because I never make remarks to my friends about stuff they stand for.Posted by lilcassers[/QUOTE]

But you did. You just stated that you posted about it on fb. And you clearly judge your friend for her opinion just as she appears to judge you. The lack of respect is obviously going in both directions here.
  • This is exactly why I don't normally bring up certain things with friends (gay marriage, abortion, religion, politics, etc). Hot button topics can make people flip out. I'd rather just respect that another person is allowed to have an opinion, no matter how misguided I might believe it to be, and skip the argument. 

OP - I agree with your stance on gay marriage, but you are setting yourself up for all of this. Basically what you are saying is that you think this way and you don't want to hear anyone elses' opinion unless they agree with you. She sounds like she was being kind of harsh by saying that you can't be a Christian with those beliefs, but something tells me that you baited her into saying that in some way.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think the take way from this was best stated by AATB:

"Facebook is not a soapbox for lame ass drama."

Bless you. Maybe someday when a few more people get this and a few less need to be hidden from my feed to not start inter-friend dramas, I will reactivate my page. Or WTH, delete half my list and start over!

• I fully admit to not having read any of this thread, but HEY it's lilcassers! Decided to give this board another go around, huh?

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:6acec98d-8a8e-4359-aa78-e25b2ff1a0c6">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]I fully admit to not having read any of this thread, but HEY it's lilcassers! Decided to give this board another go around, huh?
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Please to be 'splaining.

• edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gay-marriage-rant-dont-read-very-conservative-dont-agree?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6a0225ef-55c6-4279-9875-10473eb046d2Post:792a2a74-a18c-4a5c-9eff-92a11e902660">Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: gay marriage rant-- don't read if you are very conservative and don't agree with it : Please to be 'splaining.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Well J&K, back in the wasteland of SB, before it was inhabited by wonderful ladies again, there were many crazies and b-zillas here. Lilcassers used to come in at the end of threads where people were trying to coax the OP out of some terrible wedding planning idea and be like "OP, I totes agree with you and you do what you want IT'S YOUR DAY don't listen to these hateful bitches." Because she's a nicer person than the rest of us, you see. It's like friends <em>letting</em> friends drive drunk, that sort of thing.

The end.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Good story!!

And....oh.  Special. 

• I guess I interpreted her rant to be more hurt that she would be called a bad Christian, which is essentially an attack on her personally, than frustration that someone disagreed with her.  There is a difference between someone disagreeing with your beliefs and someone saying, essentially, that you're a bad person to believe that way.  That being said, if I post something controversial on FB,  I make sure to hide the post from people I am certain would be offended. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards