Wedding Etiquette Forum

Anyone around?

Re: Anyone around?

• Squirrly did you read the 5 random facts thread the other day?  My parents were told they were having another boy when my mom was pregnant with me, so they were very surprised in the delivery room to find out they had a daughter. 

That was 27 years ago though when ultrasound technology was way less advanced.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I just googled that Shettles guy, what a weirdo. One of my friends is waiting to find out the gender until the birth I don't think I could wait. I think from the moment I find out I'm pregnant, I'm going to want to know ASAP. Although, there is always that chance that the doctors see it wrong. How common is that these days? I know equipment has gotten a lot more advanced. I'm just thinking about how my mom was told the wrong gender for both me and my brother.
  • dnb, I'm pretty sure Brittny isn't the right way to spell anything.  :D 

Ciara, I don't see any reason that a co-worker's child's name should influence you at all.  I don't want to duplicate family names or very close friends, but that's it.  I was named for family members, and ones I don't think are all that nice, actually, so I personally have a thing against naming a baby for somebody else.  I prefer they get their own name.  H thinks I'm crazy, but he's ok with it.  It eliminates a lot of names, though. 

Our last name is also a bit ethnic and ends in a vowel, so it makes a lot of names sound really ridiculous, too. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Edmund is after DH grandfather who in actuality is DH's hero. He passed away in 2007 and DH misses him terribly. Michael is after my moms long term boyfriend who was absolutely hilarious and part of the family even though they were never married he also passed away in 2007 from a staph infection that he got from a sore due to being a quadriplegic. After we decided on the name I realized Michael is also my dads middle name so it just fits.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • I worked in a district that had twin girls with the names Pleasure and Precious.  Want to take a guess at what their last name was?  It was Cox.  I couldn't even make that up.  Try teaching a class of high school kids and calling one of those names out!  I've also seen names like Orangejello, and Shithead (pronounced Shuh-theead).  Not to mention a ton of other names that were just a whole lot of consonants with a vowel or 2 thrown in for pronunciation.  Ohh the joys of inner city teaching!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My parents didn't find out if my brothers and I were boys or girls.  They let slip once that if my brother had been a girl the name they picked out was Rebecca Mae - so when we wanted to irritate him we called him "Becky" LOL.  
  • My name was supposed to be Christopher.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • dnb- Wow. I feel bad for those kids. I've seen plenty of weird names at my old job since I had to ask for ID's for every transaction. Several of my favorites were Long Wang, Zoltan Kiss, and Parable Song.
  • I didn't see that one, dnb.  My mom didn't even have an u/s with me, and only one really basic one with my sister, but we're both older than you.  :D 

The pics these days are crazy!  I haven't posted any on here, but I do HAVE them.  I don't think I've even put them on FB, which I probably should, I suppose.  I just don't want to be THAT pregnant girl, ya know? 

aMrs, I freaked out and checked the link twice before I saw that you said "also".  :)  I LOVE allrecipes.  It's my favorite online recipe site.  There are tons of things on there I want to make, but I need a kitchen cleaning crew on hand if I'm going to make very much. 

My SIL is KU right now too - 3 months ahead of me.  They're waiting to find out.  I can't comprehend not wanting to know as much as possible about what's going on inside you.  I'm too type A for all that. 

As for how often they're wrong. . . it's pretty rare.  If they're at all unsure, they'll normally tell you a %, I think.  But the pics are so clear that as long as the baby cooperates and doesn't have its hands in the way or legs crossed, they can usually identify the proper parts - male or female. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • DNB - A friend of ours teaches for Cleveland Public Schools.  Some of the names and spellings her students have are just so bizarre.  She often has stories about breaking up fights and stuff too - which we find hilarious b/c she is about 4' 11" tall and 100 lbs dripping wet.
  • Squirrly - A friend of ours compared not knowing the sex of the baby to going into battle without a plan.  We thought that seemed appropriate :).
  • H's favorite story of mine from teaching is when we had 2 kids with the same exact name in elementary school.  Common last name, not so common first name so I always thought it was an odd coincidence.  One got sick in school so they called his mom to pick him up.  The nurse made a mistake and called the wrong mother, so when they realized what happened both mom's were at the school.  Turns out the kids had the same father, had knocked up both women with a year of each other, and neither had any idea about the other.  Yep, cops were called that day.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • At first I didn't want to know. We went shopping to try to start a registry and I couldn't pick anything other than the carseat and stroller. Everything else pissed me off so much that I just had to find out so that we could start buying stuff and I didn't go completely crazy.
  • I used to send letters to all the incoming freshmen girls at the school I coached at about volleyball tryouts (they start July 15, which is well before school starts, so it's hard to get freshman without the letter).  The school would give me a list & I'd scan it to turn it back into mailing labels - spell check would do a number on those names.  There are some BSC parents who took leave of what little sense they had while signing the birth certificate.

Then again, we have a friend who is half serious about wanting to name his child Bat Man.  Fortunately for the as-yet unconcieved child, his wife is way too cool for that.  :D 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• I could never not know what I was having.  It would creep me out to know I had something growing inside of me, but not what it was.  It seems to alien-like for me to say "we don't know what it is."  

One of my aunts did the 3-D ultrasound, and it was actually pretty freaky.  Talk about alien looking.  

And I also love Allrecipes.com.  If I don't have a recipe in our family cookbook I turn there and am never disppointed.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh, man.  What a stand-up guy!  Did he ever see either of his kids?  I'm guessing no. . .

Ciara, yeah, I can see that.  I knew already that we wanted to find out, but our walk arounds at Babies R Us so far have been fruitless because of the lack of gender info. 

FYI - Amazon has WAY better prices on the strollers/carseats that BRU carries. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Come on now my DH wanted to name this boy Optimus Maximus. That is one of the craziest I've heard.

I'm hoping that this ultrasound on Tuesday isn't a 3-D ultrasound because I'm with you on the fact that they are creepy.
  • wow, dnb, that is nuts! Sounds like a real winner of a dad.
    I agree that I would be really weirded out by having a person growing inside of me without knowing what it is. I'm pretty sure my FI and I will have trouble picking names though, because I am more into less "traditional" names (not way out there or anything, just more unique, but spelled correctly!) and he is much more into the traditional type. We will have to learn to compromise (I think it mainly stems from the fact that he comes from a family where the most outlandish name is Sandra, and that is his grandma. Then there is me, Brita, with my brothers Kai and Soren, so just a LITTLE different. :P)
  • On a completely off baby topic, can I just say that I think Baked Salt & Vinegar chips are one of the greatest things in the world.  They are the reason I ate a salad for dinner and worked out today.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Allrecipes.com is my favorite site for recipes as well.

I have mixed feelings about finding out the sex of the baby before the birth.  I hate surprises, but that's one thing I'd be ok about not knowing ahead of time because I know that I'd be getting a baby either way.  Now if the doctore told me I was having multiples, there's no way I would wait to find out.  Of course, I'm nowhere close to being ready to get KU so it's a moot point right now.
  • The carseat I bought on cyber monday for $140 is $200 on Amazon. The stroller I want is $200 on Babies R Us and $190 on Amazon. I don't have to worry about buying the stroller though because that is what my MIL is getting us for Christmas.
  • Better Optimus Maximus, than Optimus Prime... 

You two are not helping me baby fever.
  • My baby fever is cooled off for probably another 2 and a half years now unfortunately.  We'll see though.  I'm definitely not giving H the easy way out by getting KU before he leaves for deployment though.  I want him to suffer through every bout of morning sickness and pain I get.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Our u/s so far have all been both.  They start off regular and can "convert" to 3D whenever they want.  I think it's pretty cool.  I'm not bothered by the "alien" concept - babies don't develop into normal looking babies all at once, so it doesn't really creep me out.  I can see how it does, though, for a lot of people.  I'm just much more, "Cool!"  We had one where you could see inside the baby's skull too, to it's brain, and the head looked very much like it had the huge alien eyes or like a cracked open walnut.  I joked about that one for awhile. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_anyone-around-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:28dd0e5c-f663-4570-bbdd-7927a822ed5cPost:269db7c7-9680-42c0-9b6e-27ebc89e5af1">Re: Anyone around?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone around? : Hmmm, that looks promising. MissySue, I think I would try a crumbed topping (butter, sugar, cinammon maybe add some chopped pecans) towards the end of baking instead of the Ritz Crackers.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am sorry, I realized that she didn't really need to PM it to me. And I walked away from the computer for awhile due to a phone call. I will definitely go with that version. I am c&P it now.
  • Um... EW - I was looking on Amazon for TCOYF since I want to read it and talk to H about going natural for a year before we start TTC.  As a related link was Basal thermometers - New or USED - ICK.
  • I am very selfishly dreading going off the pill.  I love knowing exactly when AF will come, and how long it will last.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loopy, just go read thebump.  That'll fix you right up.  :D  If only the newbs who think we're evil could see that mess. . . we're just barely on the JV squad for snark. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• I definitely do not have baby fever. I am excited to have kids, but am not planning on any honeymoon babies or the like. I want to graduate law school first, because I really can't imagine being pregnant at the same time, that would be hellish. Every time I see babies at the store, park, etc. I coo and fawn over them, which makes my FI tease me that I want a baby right now. In actuality, I just like babies! Don't want one now, but I like them. A girl I graduated high school with got married at 18 and now, at 22 or 23, has 3 daughters, all about a year or so apart. I cannot imagine that kind of stress. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my 6 month puppy!
  • Used definitely ick!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards