Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Veil...Or No Veil?

What does everyone think about the tradition of wearing a veil? My mom believes that I should wear a veil because of the significance of what it stands for...although we disagree on what that is =). Personally, I don't really want to wear a veil. I prefer to wear my hair down with flowers or feathers. Are any of you girls skipping the veil?

http://dancningonadaydream.blogspot.com

Re: Veil...Or No Veil?

• It is a personal preference. I haven't quite decided if I am going to wear a veil or not. I may wear the veil for the ceremony and switch for the reception, but I seen some really cute hair pieces that I wouldn't mind wearing for both!!!! It is a hard decision. I think when I go to get my dress altered the first time I am going to take both & see which one I like the best!
  • I absolutely love the idea of wearing flowers in your hair on your for your wedding.  That being said I am personally wearing a veil but only because I found one that I fell in love with.  I am not wearing a blusher though.  My FI said he thinks it looks creepy lol.  I think whatever you want is perfectly fine.  You should choose whatever makes you most comfortable. 
  • To each her own.  The thought of NOT wearing a veil seems impossible to me.  I'm very much a traditionalist, with my dress being practically a ballgown. 

Here's where veils come from: The Greeks and Romans first used them to ward off evil spirits.  In the Middle Ages, it was used to hide the face of the bride in a prearranged marriage in case the groom changed his mind.  The tradition began in America when a young man saw a beauty behind a lace curtain, and when they got married she wore a veil to commemorate the way they met.  In the Jewish tradition, the veil comes from Genesis, where Rebekah uses the veil to cover herself in modesty. 

So what does the veil mean today?  It's hard to say.  At least for me, a bride who wears a veil is a traditional or romantic type.  But each person has different reasons for wanting a veil.
  • It is a personal preference and a lot of ladies are choosing not to wear them, but do either a flower or fascinator instead. I am pretty traditional and always envisioned my dad flipping the veil over, etc and that is exactly what I had. We had a full Catholic ceremony, so it meant a lot to me.

But if you don't want one, don't wear one. With that being said, I would still experiment and try a few on with your dress. You never know, you might actually like the look. Or you could go with a birdcage veil that is small and fun.
  • i'm wearing a birdcage veil with feathers, but I think that just flowers or just feathers looks great, and if thats what you want go for it! I will be taking off the birdcage for the reception
  • My mom really wants me to wear a veil and brings it up all the time.  I keep saying no.  I am wearing nothing on my head.
    Married 10/2/10
  • I was planning on NOT wearing one, but now I think I want to.  I know FI would like it, and I LOVE the pics of brides outside with their veils blowing in the breeze.  Since we're having an outdoor ceremony in the spring, that is something that could be very doable.  I think I would take it off for the reception though.  I'd wear headbands for that.  And maybe with the veil, but I'm not sure how it would look.  I should figure that out at my hair trial.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • i wore a veil and headpiece... i took the veil off at the reception
    i loved how the veil gave it a "bride" vibe.... i did not cover my face though

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • I'm just wearing a couple jeweled hairpins. I've never been big on veils. Seems like a waste of money for me. Plus, I cannot stand things on my head for long periods of time. So I'm going with simple jeweled pins.

I do think that it is a personal preference thing. If you wanted one, I'd say go for it, but you don't. And that's fine, too. Find some feathers or flowers that you love, and go with that. The most important thing is that it is your wedding dy and you want to be comfortable.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am wearing a veil for the ceremony, then taking it off and probably putting a silk flower in my hair for the reception.  I like the extra drama and elegance that a veil adds to walking down the aisle, but don't want to be tripping over it all night.
  • I wore a veil--but that doesn't mean you should.  I think this is totally a matter of individual preference.
  • Okay when I saw this I laughed. 

I HATE veils. I always have. It stems from when I was getting my first holy communion and the veil kept coming out so the woman in charge GLUED IT TO MY HEAD. Took four days for that glue to come out. Never wearing a veil again. I also hate the symbolism behind it. But that's me. 

I also have both a Mother and a FMIL who love the things. I've been able to avoid the discussion so far but they keep sending me wedding ideas (including veils) and I know I'll have to deal with it at some point. 

It's your day. You don't want a veil, say no.  Your call, and your call alone. I love flowers and headbands. I also like the idea of having a hair piece I can wear on romantic dates years after to remember the day. Can't really do that with the veil. 
    Wedding planning land is not friendly to feminists.
  • I'm still on the fence about a veil.  I feel like they are really fussy (for me) but then again, when do you get to wear a veil and get away with it?  Otherwise, I'm wearing ivory flowers and ivory pearl bobby pins in my hair.
  • Wore a cathedral length veil pinned at the nape of my neck under my updo.  I felt like having nothing in my hair was really boring.  I totally got the 'bride feel' as soon as I put on the veil.
    Do the creep.
  • I hate to say this, but Adrini, that story made me laugh, sorry.
    Both moms wanted me to try them on as we were dress shopping, so I did to appease them, however, when I got to the shower that my FMIL was hosting, she had a veil for me to wear, agh!  My hair looked great that day, I didn't want to cover it up, but compromised by wearing it while we opened gifts.
    It is totally a personal preference, but I hate the idea of a veil too.
    Probably because the facial attribute I most like about myself is my hair, so covering it up would feel much less pretty to me.  And veils just seem so old-fashioned, sort of like the tradition of the father "giving" the bride to her new husband.  But still, I have seen some gorgeous veils, so if you like them, go for it, if not explore other options.  I'm doing flowers.
    As my fiance is fond of saying, "Just Relax....."
  • Wear what YOU want!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_veilor-veil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:33d48dbd-4851-407b-9e30-ae1f8b4f0215Post:03af86eb-1f5c-41ad-8ab9-dd2e1baad365">Re: Veil...Or No Veil?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom really wants me to wear a veil and brings it up all the time.  I keep saying no.  I am wearing nothing on my head.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

Lol sounds just like my mom..I feel ya.

<3 <a href="http://dancingonadaydream.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow">http://dancingonadaydream.blogspot.com</a>
  • I wasn't planning on wearing a veil, but I agreed to try one on with my dress to appease the consultant and my mom, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'll be wearing my hair up with a flower for the whole day, and will wear the veil as well for the first look and photos, and the ceremony. Then it's coming off for the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm actually wearing two veils... A fingertip one for the ceremony and a birdcage for the reception. I love them, and know I probably won't get a chance to wear one again. You should wear what you want, and if anyone tries to fight you, tell them to shove it. Nicely, of course. :-p

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    135 Invitedimage 105 Ready to Partyimage 30 Missing Outimage
    RSVP Deadline: 9.30.10
  • I wore a veil and a headband in my updo, but my veil came out from underneath my updo (I didn't want to pay all that money for a beautiful updo only to have it covered up by my veil). So it never went over my face or over my hairdo. Plus, I removed my veil after we came into the reception and had our first dance.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_veilor-veil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:33d48dbd-4851-407b-9e30-ae1f8b4f0215Post:0ff26a23-cc86-437f-8e83-5a883d44f190">Re: Veil...Or No Veil?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate to say this, but Adrini, that story made me laugh, sorry. [/QUOTE]

<div>It's funny in retrospect but it was not pleasant at the time. ")</div>
    Wedding planning land is not friendly to feminists.
  • I did not wear a traditional veil.  I did not want to wear one.  I wore a little blue birdcage veil and I wouldn't change it for anything.  If you don't want to wear a veil don't. You can see it in my sig pic. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_veilor-veil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:33d48dbd-4851-407b-9e30-ae1f8b4f0215Post:a58b4290-ce5d-4796-b698-cf1629b2c07b">Re: Veil...Or No Veil?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay when I saw this I laughed.  I HATE veils. I always have. It stems from when I was getting my first holy communion and the veil kept coming out so the woman in charge GLUED IT TO MY HEAD. Took four days for that glue to come out. Never wearing a veil again.
    Posted by Adrini76[/QUOTE]

DEAR LORD. Are you serious. That is one wacked out woman. How scarring, I wouldn't wear one either.
  • I think it's totally up to you.  I think flowers are equally as traditional as a veil and can be extremely beautiful.  Plus, it is so romantic to have your hair down.

I seriously considered not wearing a veil myself, but for me it was hard to get the "bride" feeling without it.  Otherwise, I just felt like I would feel like I was super dressed up but not necessarily a bride.  That's just me, though.
  • At first I decided definitely no veil, but then I thought about it... when will I ever be able to wear a veil again? Never.  So, I bought a very simple one off Etsy.com for $14 and I'm going to wear it for just the ceremony.  I have a cute flower clip that I'm going to put in my hair also, so that'll be there for the reception to still have something interesting going on.

Anniversary DS was born 11/30/12... so in love :)
  • I'm wearing a veil.  It's a mantilla.  There's no blusher, I'm using it for purely aesthetic purposes.  Well, actually, it's practical too.  It's actually of a soft enough material that I could use it as a wrap if it gets cold at the reception.
  • do what makes you happy!  i'm wearing a gele.  it's a headwrap like the one in the sig photo.  i'm been practicing on how  to tie it just right.  i'm sure i'll get help on the big day. 
  • I've never been a big fan of viels. I think they're extemely old fashioned. Also, the dress I chose has a very detailed back, so I didn't want to cover that up. I'll be doing either silk flowers or an antique clip for my hair.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • The dress I purchased in March (shortly after I got engaged) is a tea-length lace gown. For an outdoor wedding, I'm not sure a veil looks quite right on a dress of that length. Assuming I am still able to wear the dress (goal is to lose weight, and I worry it might make it insanely expensive to alter), I will probably wear flowers in my hair. My FMIL and own mother don't understand why I wouldn't want a veil.
  • I didn't wear one, as I'm not a fan of the symbolism either.  Moreover, I don't like the sensation of fabric lightly brushing against my skin because it makes me feel itchy and gives me the heebie jeebies.  My hair was in a chignon, accented with crystals with a twist-in base.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards