Christian Weddings
Options

Christianity and yoga... what do you think?

I'm struggling with something ... I would kind of like to do yoga as a way to switch up and diversify my fitness routine (which already includes cardio, weights, and spinning), but as a Christian, I'm not sure if it is morally acceptable to practice yoga because of the Hindu spiritual aspect of it. I feel like my foundation in Jesus is solid and that I could do yoga without any negative spiritual outcomes, but I don't want to risk it, and I don't want to dishonor God.

What do you all think about it?

Re: Christianity and yoga... what do you think?

• Options
    rbtrumpetrbtrumpet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    there are different kinds of yoga.

I used to go to one where it was heavy meditation and focussing on your shkaras (sp??).  I felt uncomfortable goign to that one.

I go to class now where we focus on flexibility and strength, we have a "rest" period at the end where we are encouraged to "allow our bodies to absorb the workout" - but that alone is not really spiritual.

I say go - find one you like and you're comfortable with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got Rodney Yee's "Yoga for beginners," and there is nothing spiritual about it!  It's just the stretches and other moves, along with some breathing exercises to help you relax and focus.   Also, the yoga on the Wii Fit is just stretches.

I don't think you need to worry much anymore about that.  Yoga is such a popular exercise in itself, it's easy to find a class or video solely focused on that, especially at a gym or rec center, as opposed to a purely yoga joint. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about both?! Something that you ladies might like...http://www.yoitsyoga.com/
    My mom (and I) absolutely love this way to worship while getting the benefits of yoga poses. I am still waiting for them to make another DVD!
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not all yoga classes are "spiritual" anymore. Many of the ones offered at local gyms are just classes that are offered for fitness purposes.

I really want to try it out too, but I don't see anything wrong with a class that doesn't involve other spirituality.
  • Options
    wihltsabowwihltsabow member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I like pilates a lot more anyway. I think it's more of a workout and less "just stretching". :)
    ~Weeds are just flowers without an invitation.~
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did yoga for a bit.  It wasn't spirtual at all, except for the little namaste at the end.  I think there are classes that are strictly exercise oriented.
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Yoga. It does NOT have to be a Hindu practice, but a means of exercise. In fact, you could use it in your own way and make it a time of stretching, relaxing and praise or meditation.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You need to do what you are comfortable with, but I believe you may be overthinking this. 

I have been to many yoga classes and none have been 'spiritual' and there is no meditating.  It's all about stretching and working your muscles.  However, I highly recommend pilates.  It's like yoga, but I believe it gives you a better workout. 

Honestly, your safest bet would be to find yoga classes offered at a local gym or fitness club.  Lots of times the instructors teach everything from cardio to Zumba to yoga and everything in between.  I highly doubt you'd get a lot of 'spiritual' meditating.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE Yoga. I choose to ignore any sort of spiritual aspect if I am in a class. When the teacher encourages me to be one with the earth, I try to medidate on my faith and the Lord. I really think Yoga has helped me medidate on my faith and I love doing it for that reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards