Getting in Shape

Anyone incorporate heavy lifting into their routine?

I've lately heard heavy lifting to be all the rage to torch fat in women. For those who have done or currently do it. What exactly is your routine and do you supplement it with cardio?

I'm hoping to lose 20 pounds, but my goal is more to look good in my swimsuit on our honeymoon - the number isn't what I'm that worried about. I'm starting to think heavy lifting may be a good option, but want to hear about it from real individuals!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

Re: Anyone incorporate heavy lifting into their routine?

• edited December 2012
    Heavy lifting (the definition of which varies, but I guess for females any weight that you can't lift for more than 8-10 reps is "heavy") should be part of your exercise routine because functional strength and muscle mass are crucial to good health. Whether it "torches fat" depends on how much you have to lose, as well as on what and how much you eat in addition to lifting. If you are just starting out with weights, however, you should see some immediate "beginner's" results which will taper off as you adapt. Eating at maintenance should allow you to build some muscle (unlike many men, who have to eat at a surplus to build visible muscle) but after a while you may find that you have to cut calories to see marked fat loss.

I lift once a week, dance (Irish step) twice a week and do yoga 4 times a week. I don't do steady-state cardio. This is my "maintenance" routine but to get to where I am (a lot of muscle, fairly lean for my body type) I lifted weights and did interval cardio 2-3 times a week each.

If you're looking to look better fairly quickly, especially in your lower half and core, you may find isometric exercises beneficial. My legs and abs respond better to isometrics (planks, wall sits, yoga poses that you hold for a set time) than to regular contraction-based exercise (squats, lunges, crunches). I haven't done squats in years - and I used to be able to squat my own body weight - because yoga is enough for me to maintain my leg muscles. In fact even though I stopped squatting, yoga helped me to build even more leg muscle. Give it a try and see how it goes.
  • I go to Jazzercise to stay in shape where half of the class is aerobics and half is strength training. I find that it's a full workout, but every now and then I do my own exercises at home. I prefer to do a lot of reps with lighter weights (5lb in each hand) rather than trying to bulk up. I've found that doing a side stretch side to side with a weight over head really strengthens the abs. I also do planks, reverse planks, and side planks and try to hold them for a minute each. There are also plain ol' crunches too. Good luck!
  • I run at least 4 miles and do crossfit 5 days a week (4 mile run roundtrip to crossfit)--so it's a good combination of aerobic and anarobic cardio and strength training.  Most workouts consist of weights with low reps/high weight, followed by a WOD (workout of the day) that usually includes fast quick lifts and body weight strength moves like pushups, box jumps, pistole squats, etc.  I wouldn't say I've seen any big weight loss, but I am a lot stronger and feel like it's good to have a balanced routine.  Most important to actually losing weight is eating--no matter how much I work out, I don't lose if I'm not watching what I eat, and focusing on low fat/high protein.

I think that if you've never lifted before in a routine where you actually reach your max, you'd probably be happy with the results.  Most of the heavy lifting routines I do are 5 reps at 65% max, 5 at 75% max, 3-5 at 85% max, and max reps at max weight.  
  • manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_anyone-incorporate-heavy-lifting-into-their-routine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:aefe8ff1-b8a9-4797-be92-d2f88c914362Post:d7b0c9d9-b80e-4882-8da1-316f3eb2f3b2">Re: Anyone incorporate heavy lifting into their routine?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I run at least 4 miles and do crossfit 5 days a week (4 mile run roundtrip to crossfit)--so it's a <strong>good combination of aerobic and anarobic cardio and strength training.</strong>  Most workouts consist of weights with low reps/high weight, followed by a WOD (workout of the day) that usually includes fast quick lifts and body weight strength moves like pushups, box jumps, pistole squats, etc.  I wouldn't say I've seen any big weight loss, but I am a lot stronger and feel like it's good to have a balanced routine.  <strong>Most important to actually losing weight is eating--no matter how much I work out, I don't lose if I'm not watching what I eat, and focusing on low fat/high protein.</strong> I think that if you've never lifted before in a routine where you actually reach your max, you'd probably be happy with the results.  Most of the heavy lifting routines I do are 5 reps at 65% max, 5 at 75% max, 3-5 at 85% max, and max reps at max weight.  
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly what I bolded! Losing weight is 70% diet and 30% exercise. You have to eat a clean diet if you want to see changes and when working out you have to have a good mix of cardio and weight lifted. Crossfit is a great mix of that! I lost 25 pounds in 5 months from eating a strict paleo diet and going to crossfit 3-4 times per week. And I have now maintained that weight loss for over a year by eating 80% paleo diet and going to crossfit 2-3 times per week. </div>
  • When I started heavy lifting, I lost about five pounds in a month, without cutting calories. After that, it stabilized. I love heavy lifting. Before, I was lifting like five pounds and wondered why I couldn't see a difference. Now I actually have muscle ( and no, I'm not bulky at all. In fact, I'm smaller all over). As far as routines go, I just started doing the same exercises just with heavier weights and progressed over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards