New York-Western

Need help finding venue

I'm moving to Watertown, NY this spring and  I will be planning our wedding somewhere niether one of us has lived/visited..intimidating..yes! I would like to have my short list for venues when we get out there.  Any ideas or input would be very much appriciated. Here the critera...

We do not want a cookie cutter typical banquet hall wedding.  Something unique, near water or rustic, Ceremony, reception and lodging all in one spot.  As all of our guest will be coming from out of state we will be having a "destination" type wedding,  we are looking for somewhere that will be unforgetable for everyone guests included.  Somewhere that helps plan activites for guests would be great..  somewhere that has somethings on site..don't want to have to rent everything from the ground up. Also, actual location doesn't matter because everyone will be traveling to begin with, within an hour or two of airport would be nice. To give an idea what we are looking for...I really like the idea of the stone tavern farm and hurd orchards but sadly either no or not enough lodging.  Thanks for any help!

Re: Need help finding venue

• edited December 2011
    I dont know of any venues in particlur (i believe there is an inn called something with queen in its name) but have you looked at niagara on the lake?  

Also, in lake placid which is more in the adirondacks you could look at the whiteface club or the mirror lake inn. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am also currently searching for a venue and your criteria is almost identical to my list! I don't know how far out from Watertown you're looking since Hurd Orchard is much closer to me here in Rochester. I've been looking all around the finger lakes (if you're familiar with them, I've concentrated between Canandaigua and Cayuga Lake) and can tell you that it is very hard to find a "rustic" venue that also has tons of lodging. A few have a moderate amount (30ish rooms) and several have a small amount of rooms that wouldn't fit more than your wedding party. Since I feel your pain, I'll give you all the details I've collected:

On Canandaigua Lake
    • Bristol Harbour Resort- BEAUTIFUL lake view, adirondack-lodge style great room for reception or larger "modern" hall, 31 hotel rooms, 2 cottages, 9 condos
    • Bristol Views B&B- Great lake view, 4 rooms, but since you rent the whole place for a wedding, you could crash more on the couch, floor, etc., has an established tent site, so you would have to rent everything, but he does lots of weddings and you pretty much just order a package from the rental company
    • Morgan Samuels Inn- Near the town of Canandaigua, looks and feels like an English country estate with tree-lined drives and beautiful countryside views, 6 rooms, again a tent site
    • Inn on the Lake- Don't know how many rooms, but is a full service hotel. they have multiple ballrooms, but the best site is on a tent on their lawn right on the lake, it's their own seasonal tent so you don't have to deal with rentals
    • Filligree Inn-no lake view, but nestled in a beautiful narrow valley between two mountains, 4 suite, a tent site, but they take care of the rentals

On Keuka Lake
    • Esperanza Mansion-BEAUTIFUL lake view, covered terrace and adjoining historic ballroom, 20 room inn plus 8 mansion rooms

On Seneca Lake
    • The Inn at Glenora-BEAUTIFUL lake/vineyard view, covered terrace with "rustic"-y reastaurant (think exposed wood beams and stone fireplace), nearby waterfall for pictures 31 room inn plus a cottage
    • Belhurst Castle- Again, beautiful view and gorgeous historic castle, has many rooms, but I don't know specifics since I have heard so many mixed reviews of the service, I have not seriously considered it.
    • Geneva on the Lake- Not "rustic," but more european/Italian and also has multiple rooms, I do not know specifics, except that it too has a beautiful view
    • Chateau Lafayette Reneau Winery & Inn- The most beautiful vineyard/ lake setting, small inn, small (100 max) rustic banquet room

On Cayuga Lake
    • Buttonwood Grove Vineyard-Lake view, cute pond ceremony site, a few cottages
    • Taughannock Farms Inn- Beautiful lake view, 145 guest banquet room overlooking lake, 22 room inn
    • The Barn- actually south of Ithaca, gorgeous, fully equipped, restored "banquet barn," no lodging but does allow RVs and camping on site, if you want to get really "rustic"

Other places you might want to check out:
    • Fontainbleau Inn- Right on Cayuta Lake just south of the finger lakes, great exposed beam ballroom with tented patio, an adorable stone chapel also on site
    • The Lodge on Echo Lake
    • Onteora Mountain House
    • The Inn at Silver Maple Farms -  either 30 rooms or capacity for 30 people 

Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies! Your wedding venue criteria sound a lot like mine! I'm not sure if you are at all interested in Western New York but I am getting married, having my reception, and staying at Beaver Hollow Conference Center in Java Center (about 45 minutes southeast of Buffalo & an hour and 20 minutes southwest of Rochester). For me it is perfect, outdoor and indoor aspects, a lake, lots of rec activities for guests to do during non-wedding time, bonfire after our reception, and ample accomodations. They have about 90 guest rooms and can accomodate over 150 people. So far I have been nothing but impressed with the staff who have been super friendly and helpful! Good luck and happy planning!
  • degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not much help because a lot of what I would say has been said. But if I was you I would also like to suggest you try the Central Ny and capital/albany broads. Watertown is in Northern NY about 1 1/2 from Syracuse, 2 1/2 from Rochester, 3 from Buffalo, 3 from Albany. The adirondacks is not far at all. I believe you are about a 15 min from one of the borders of the park. You could try Finger Lakes, Saratoga/Lake George, or adirondacks, Lake Placid/Saranac Lake, any of the lakes. Good Luck!
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • skidoogurl07skidoogurl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shirley we are also interested in Beaver Hollow. Do you have any recommendations or how has your experience been so far?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards