Maine

recently engaged/clueless

i just recently got engaged(yay me)  and we are trying to plan out, or at least make an outline of what we would like for our wedding. We want an outdoor wedding and a nice reception. Problem neither one of us know much of anything about weddings  let alone places as to where to have one! im trying to stay close to home, which is turner maine... can anyone give me any advice ata ll??? thank you

Nicole

Re: recently engaged/clueless

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations! We'd love to hear details about the proposal :)

There really isn't one good place to find all this information online. We did a lot of Google searching, actually. I would suggest going through some of the girls' bios on this message board (clicking their screen name or their link to their bio in their signature) to see where everyone else is having theirs. There are some great places!

Let's see, what's close to Turner...you could check out Lost Valley, Sunday River and The Bethel Inn Resort. We looked into the Martindale Country Club and they had great prices, but they are under new ownership so not sure what it's like now. The Turner Highlands Golf Course does weddings at their restaurant too. My aunt and uncle got married at the Hilton Garden Inn in Auburn and it was really nice too. They had the ceremony outside on their patio overlooking the river.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck! Don't hesitate to ask us any questions because we love to help!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I found the link to The Maine Bio. It's outdated, but has a big list of wedding sites, plus other vendors. http://sites.google.com/site/mainebio/

And here's a link to a past post where people introduced themselves and said where they were getting married. Might give you some ideas!

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_lets-other-1
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    it was the cutest proposal... we have a brook in the back yard and me patrick and hannah ( our 16 month old daughter) were all outside in the garden. He asked me if i wanted to go down to the brook so hannah could play in the water. I said yes and off i went and he stayed behind to help hannah walk ( shes still unsteady on her feet) when he got to he water Hannah had the ring in her hand and tugged on my pants and gave it to me..... i was completly surprised and i cried.. it was so cute!
  • edited December 2011
    aw, that is super sweet!  Congrats!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the knot!  Like Minimin said "google, google, google"!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    congrats! like everyone else we did a lot of googling. after we got a list we just drove down the coast to look at teh places in person before we wasted their time with questions. good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dmartineau1dmartineau1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Nicole, I live in turner as well. We just picked our site and were looking for the same thing as you basically. We plan on having about 80 poeple at the wedding and are on a budget of about 10,000 for everything including the honeymoon! We chose Maple Lane golf course in Livermore. it is beautiful, not too far away, a great price, and you can do the ceremony and reception right there. All you have to pay for is the price of food..seriously! They have prices starting at 13.99. Also they have 3 suites that you can use for the weekend.

I agree with the other girls though, i did A LOT of googling and searching on this site. The only problem with looking on this site is they dont have much for areas north of Portland. Asking around and keeping your eyes open is your best bet:)
  • edited December 2011
    Love that proposal story -- so cute!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    That is so sweet. You have to make sure to tell your daughter when she's older!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hey!  I'm from Greene, so I'm very familiar with the area.  There are actually a lot of affordable places in Turner.  The Highlands have a really nice wedding site, and Lost Valley is always a classic.  If you aren't into the wedding stuff, I would go with a place that will do a lot of the leg-work for you, as opposed to renting a tent and doing everything yourself.  Most places have a coordinator onsite and they will coordinate all the vendors, meals, etc. for you.  Many places even have decorations you can  use!  My second word of advice?  Use this site often.  It was a lifesaver for me in the beginning, especially trying to find vendors.  Best of luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards