Connecticut

wedding dress shops in CT

Hi all,
Anyone have any good/bad reviews of wedding dress shops in CT? I'm looking to schedule an appointment for the weekend of the 23rd-24th (hopefully Sunday if I can find a place that's open), and am hoping to find a bridal salon with great variety and decent prices (I'm aiming for my budget to be between $1000-2000). I'd like to stay in central CT to start with and am thinking about Stylish Impressions in Farmington and Davids Bridal in Manchester.
Also any tips for what to wear (undergarment-wise) or bring (do you need shoes/heels)?
Thanks!

Re: wedding dress shops in CT

• I bought my dress from Bliss Bridal in Cheshire. They are amazing there.

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I cannot recommend Bliss Bridal in Cheshire high enough.  They are really absolutely wonderful there!  And a very nice selection as well.

I also had a really nice experience at the Wedding Embassy in Oakville.  Also a wide selection.

Those were my top experiences when shopping around, and they were miles above the rest in terms of experience and selection
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bring a strapless bra and don't worry about shoes.  I could barely walk in 1/2 the dresses barefoot because they were too long - I would have killed myself trying to do that in heels. 
  • I shopped at the wedding dress in Portland and Mariellas in rocky hill. I had great experiences at both and purchased my dress from the wedding dress. The wedding dress carries designers, like essence of Australia, that aren't carried in other CT bridal shops.
  • davids bridal to me is a discount store they sell the same gowns in all the stores i went to try on my what i thought was my dream wedding dress there the sample was so torn up in side and the material was so so. if you want a dress that has been seen before then i would recommend them but if you want something unique one of a kind i would go to a local bridal shop.

bridal bells in kensington/berlin mill street has lots of dresses in both regular sizes and plus sizes. her gowns are all under 1500 and she carries designers such as morie lee, jasmine, aveena mia solano she also sells discountinued dresses those most likely are samples i have not been there yet but its the first place on my list ( i am plus size and she has lots to choose from)

another place i would reccoment is brides to be its in glasonbury they only sell brand new sample gowns off the rack no waiting for your dress to come in they carry sizes from 0-30  they carry couture gowns as well as regular gowns some of the deisgners they carry are the same gowns you can find at klinefelds in nyc for 10,000 but at brides to be they have them anywhere from 200-2,000  i found a dress i loved it was form fitting material was light weight it was a halter and i hate halter styles but the halter was snap on and we were able to see the dress on me with straps. some of the gowns are last season or 2 but they do have a huge slection

another place is http://www.beautifu lbride boutique they are in plainville my cousins wife got her gown there and it was stunning she said they were really nice and worked with her well.

my sister in law got hers at mariellas in rocky hill her gown ended up being from there atic gowns ( gowns that are on sale she got hers for 500 and with alterations viel and shoes she only spent like 1,200
  • I had a great experience at The Wedding Dress, in Portland.  They will have dresses within your price range.  It's a small shop and very personal, with only 1 or 2 brides in at a time.  That was the first and only place I looked! Wear a strapless bra... I don't think you need to worry about shoes, I tried all of my shoes on barefoot.  You'll stand up on the pedestal to see the way the train looks so I don't think heels are necessary. Good luck!

• Another recommendation for Bliss Bridal - Jessica is so wonderful, and their dresses are within your budget!
  • I loved my experience at the Wedding Embascy in Watertown, Megan the owner is fabulous to work with. I did end up getting my dress at Stylish Impressions because their selection was a little larger, I worked with Diane the owner and had a fabulous experience. I also did my alterations with Evette who works thru them and she was AMAZING!!! I have heard good things about Bridal Bliss as well! Goodluck!
  • I loved mariellas. I didn't bring shoes and they gave me a strapless bra/corset thing to wear. The salesperson was extremely sweet and patient. Plenty of dresses in your budget
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought my dress at Mariella's.  I have gotten bridesmaids dresses from there in the past and thought they were great so I knew that I was definitely going there.  My budget was $1500 and my dress ended up being $950 so they definitely have dresses within your budget.  I will also let you know that if you plan on having your BM's get their dresses there then they will give you and the girls a little discount. 
  • Another shoutout for Bliss Bridal in Cheshire- loved them even if I didn't buy my dress from them.   It was the first strore I went to and I felt no pressure to get a dress at all.  They said since I just started looking it was more what not to wear rather than say yes to the dress.  Mother and daugher run and they are so sweet!

Bridal Bells in Berlin is also great.  She has lots of dress and like a previous poster said she has no dresses over $1500.  Bought my dress there and Barbara is great!

June Siggy Challenge: Fav. Engagement photo

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just left the Wedding Embassy in Oakville (Waterbury).  My bridesmaids and I just picked out their dresses, and Megan the owner, was so incredibly outgoing, helpful, not pressuring, and it was just a great experience.  I already have my wedding dress, but I'm probably going to get my alterations done there.
  • Venture out into Newtown, to Julie Allen's. It's a motherdaughter team, and they're amazing at what they do.
  • Ask for Melanie or Lauren!
  • Another Bliss Bridal shoutout.  I got my dress there, they are awesome!
  •  I had a wonderful experience at Ragtime Boutique in Watertown. Friendly staff, very helpful seamstresses available for questions, wonderful prices, and lots of customizable options.
  • I second Julie Allen Bridals in Newtown! They are wonderful there and have a great selection. I didn't actually end up getting my dress there but I am using them for alterations and bought all my bridesmaids dresses there.
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited January 2014
    i ended up getting my dress at bridal bells in berlin Barbabra was amazing i came in with pictures of what i thought i wanted would look good on me and i went the total opposite direction. i got a mori lee gown style 3098 in ivory with a second strap.

she carries all the normal regular size samples but she also specalizes in plus. when i say plus sizes i mean she has true plus sizes in 16s 18s 20s 22s 24s 26s 28s 30s and lots of variety to try. a lot of places i called when making appointments had what they called plus sizes 14s and maybe 1 or 2 18s or they had only one dress in the store.

this was the first bridal salon where she had over 15 samples in plus sizes that i could try on.
    we also got my maids dresses there and it was a great experience 4 of my maids live out of state and that was not a problem they called in there measurements and deposits over the phone.

if you are plus sized and want to have that great dress experience and find your dream dress go to bridal bells.

• I ended up getting my dress at Alfred Angelo in Manchester. It was a great experience and in the price range you're looking for. The girl was knowledgeable and helpful and really wanted to hear what i wanted. However, when we went back for Bridesmaid dresses the girl we got was un-interested, un-helpful and sort of rude. So it really depends who you get there but the prices are good! 
  • I just went to Eldivaz Bridal Fashions in Hartford. I had a very good experience there, the owner was very helpful and friendly, she didn't pressure me at all. I believe all the dresses are under $2,000. It is a small store and I went on a weekday and was the only bride there which is what I looking for!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards