Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Turning into a nightmare.

So, among other issues is this one.

My mom and sister can not stand each other. Full-out disowned, will never speak again level. My sister and I are close - she's my MOH. My mother and I have a strained but intact relationship. I am Switzerland. I am not happy about it but that's how it has been and will remain.

We're having a small wedding, and my only bridesmaid is my maternal grandmother. So my wedding party = my sister and grandmother.

My mom and grandmother live next door to each other and see each other very regularly, nearly daily.

I'm stressed about having my mom and sister in the same building for my wedding, but with 60 guests and the knowledge that it's my wedding day, they have both agreed to just avoid each other.

Now, it's time to plan the rehearsal dinner. I've never really known what all goes into that, and now that I'm looking it up, I'm supposed to have the officiant and his spouse, the attendants, and our "close family." (And out of towners, but we have none.)

Well, close family clearly involves my mother, though she has no formal role in the wedding. I just realized that this means putting my mother and sister together in a group of only maybe 10-15 people, and that could be a freaking catastrophe.

I can't not invite my mother. She's my mother, and she lives next door to my grandmother, who's in the wedding party.

I can't not invite my sister. She's my MOH.

What do I do? Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Turning into a nightmare.

• Options
    You shouldn't let your mother and sister put you in the middle of their problem. Once you remove yourself, they will be forced to deal with each other - or not - but it won't be your problem any longer. Invite your grandmother, sister and mother to the RD and expect them to behave like adults.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Even if it's 10-15 people, and they might feel awkward, they don't have to talk or acknowledge each other.  My parents did this for my sister's graduation dinner a few years ago.  My mom sat in one corner, my dad another, and they avoided each other all night.

Things are better now where they might actually say 'hello' to be polite, but I still know that they will behave themselves for my sake for the RD and the wedding.
  • Options
    I think you ought to invite them both.  It's not mandatory to accept an invitation to attend the RD so perhaps one of them - or both - will simply choose not to attend.
  • Options
    Thank you guys. This is very good advice, and I feel slightly better about the whole situation. FH more or less said the same thing.
  • Options

If they are mature adults you shouldn’t have to worry about this. They should be able to be in the same room without arguing. They don’t have to sit next to each other or even talk. You just need to sit down with both of them and explain that it is important for you that they both are present.

• Options
    I'm having the same issue with FMIL en My FFIL's trophee wife. Naturally the two can't stand each other... FMIL keeps on making childish remarks towards the trophee wife about prep school and the trophee wife keeps making accusations towards FMIL. Still we're obliged to have them on the wedding and just hope that they will both realise and know that this event isn't  about their arguement but about the day that their son and 6-year older step-son gets married. 
  • Options
    Send out the invitations and step away from the middle... A little Prayer wouldn't hurt either...
  • Options
    Honestly, they SHOULD be able to live with each other for one day. They are their for YOU, not for each other. Invite them both and if there is a problem, walk away. Don't let anything stress you out on your special day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards