October 2012 Weddings

How long is your reception? (sorry so long)

Our venue gave us 5 hours to have a ceremony and reception, which I think is pretty typical. However, our caterer suggested that we may want to add an extra hour, because we are having a buffet and we are inviting 165 people.

So, after giving it some thought we went ahead and got the extra hour. That cost us an extra $230 with our venue and an extra $75 (I think) with our DJ. So, we're talking around $300 for the extra hour.

Well, now I've started working on a timeline and I'm a little concerned that it might be too much time. We have since decided to do a first look photo shoot which will save us time with pictures. We are not doing a garter toss/bouquet toss either.

Here is my timeline:
Wedding – Day of Timeline 

8:00 a.m. Wake up, eat breakfast and shower

11:30 a.m. Leave for hotel

12:00 p.m. Arrive at hotel and eat lunch

12:30 p.m. Hair & make up

3:00 p.m. Desiree arrives – Pictures of dress, accessories, shoes, dresses on hangers

3:15 p.m. Get dressed (Pictures of putting on dress)

3:30 p.m. Leave hotel for Bellevue

3:45 p.m. Arrive at Bellevue

3:50 p.m. Bride and Groom First Look Photos & Other Bride & Groom Photos

4:20 p.m. All Other Photos

-         Bride w/ BM’s, Groom w/ GM, Entire Wedding Party, Pictures w/ Parents, Picture w/ Officiant, Picture w/ JBM/JGM, Helthall Family, Vinju Family

5:00 p.m. Nana arrives for guest book/favors/gifts

5:00 p.m. DJ starts playing music – guests begin to arrive

5:30 p.m. Ceremony Begins

6:00 p.m. Reception Begins, Bar Opens, Appetizers Served

6:05 p.m. Bride & Groom pic w/ “Just Married” sign

6:10 p.m. Bustle Brides Dress

6:30 p.m. Bride & Groom/Bridal Party Announced

6:45 p.m. Bride & Groom First Dance

6:50 p.m. Father/Daughter Dance & Mother/Son Dance

7:00 p.m. Dinner Buffet Opens (Bride & Groom/Bridal Party/Parents eat first)

7:15 p.m. Bride & Groom Make Rounds

8:00 p.m. Toasts

8:15 p.m. Dancing

8:45 p.m. Cut the Cake/Desert Table Opens

9:00 p.m. Desiree leaves

9:00 p.m. Dancing Continues

10:45 Last Call for Alcohol                        9:45 p.m. Last Call for Alcohol

11:00 p.m. Bar Closes                                  10:00 p.m. Bar Closes                                         

11:30 p.m. Reception Ends                         10:30 p.m. Reception Ends

With the extra hour we have about 3 hours of dancing time. Without the extra hour (in the red) we have about 2 hours of dancing time. I sent this to the caterer to see what he thinks, but am waiting to hear back.

What do you ladies think is sufficient? How long is your reception? I don't want people to leave early b/c it's too long and waste the $300. (Again, sorry so long.)

172 Invited. image
130 Accepted. image
42 Declined. image
0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How long is your reception? (sorry so long)

• Canadian weddings are usually a little different than American weddings. I've never been to a wedding that had a set end time. They usually go until all the guests are gone - somewhere between midnight and 1 am.

Guests will start arriving at our venue at 6 pm with dinner starting around 6:30 pm. The last "event" will take place around 10-ish (bouquet toss) and then it's just dancing until guests are ready to leave on their own. No grand exit - have never been to a wedding that had one.
    Anniversary
  • I think you should add the extra hour unless you can't add it to your budget. It seems like the dancing would be cut short by starting at 8ish and ending at 10:30.

Mine is a little on the long side, but that's because we are eating fairly early.
    5:30 dinner
    speeches, first dances, etc. in between
    11:15 last call
    12:00am reception ends
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing our ceremony at another location then moving to the reception venue.  We initially had a 5 hour block of time for dinner and dancing.  Of that, the first hour was a cocktail hour.  That left 4 hours for a plated meal, dances (we aren't doing a garter/bouquet toss either) and it just felt really tight to me.  So we added an extra hour as well. Since you are having your ceremony at the same location and that is factored into your 6 hours, I think you were smart to add the extra time.  The $300 seems like a modest cost to me.  While I'm sure it would have still been very nice as a 5 hour event, the extra hour might give you some extra time to relax and enjoy the party.
    Photobucket
  • achiduck - Canadian weddings sound like fun! We aren't doing a grand exit, but we are required to have an official end time.

Anyway, thanks ladies. I already feel better about the extra hour. I don't want to feel rushed, but I just didn't want people to feel like it was too long. I know they can leave when they want, but I didn't want it to just be FI and I hanging out for the last hour lol.

172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
  • our reception starts at 6 and dinner is served at 6:30.  we figure dancing will start around 8ish (after dinner there are speeches and cake, then our first dance) and we will leave around 10 because we aren't really into dancing and stuff.  since most of our guests are older or work the next day (Sunday wedding) they prob won't stay late.  The DJ is booked until midnight,
  • We have a 5 hour block that includes our ceremony and reception.  I'm really thinking of adding an extra hour because I feel like it would be a little tight, especially since we aren't doing a first look.  It's a bit more expensive to add that extra hour for us though.  It's an additional $10 a person for the bar, plus $500 for the hour with the venue, plus $75 for the DJ.  We won't make that decision until our final meeting at the end of Septemeber.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Our ceremony and reception are at the same venue.  We get:

However long we want for the ceremony - Our is 6 - 6:20 or 6:30-ish
    An hour for cocktails - 6:30 - 7:30
    A four hour reception - 7:30 - 11:30

I think it's $6 per person per hour to extend the reception, so we're not doing that.  I think 11:30 (give or take) is a good end time, so I don't think it'll be a problem
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our ceremony is at 1 at our church. It will be about an hour long.

Then we have the famous "Catholic gap" that I've experienced at every wedding I've been to.

Cocktails start at 5
    Dinner is at 6
    Dancing will start around 8 and end at 11:30
    We have to have all guests out of the venue at midnight.
  • We are having a 4 hour reception. I really want to add the cocktail hour, but it's $15 dollars extra per person. Waaayyyy over the budget there. Luckily we start and end early, so there will be plenty of time for an after party,
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • we have it for as long as we want... we are doing ceremony/reception at the same place
    so I am getting dressed there... showing up for around 2 pm. doing FIrst Look photos, and cermony is at 4... dinner at 6... and closing everybody out by 2 am so 12 hours in total...

we are canadian lol
  • Ours is 6 hours, including reception and cocktail hour.  I think you're good with the extra hour and it sounds like that's about the average.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_how-long-is-your-reception-sorry-so-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:ea08fc5d-0234-47f5-b51c-75f8f20a38d1Post:3bed696a-e3e7-4540-b0a3-3b7353541e0b">Re: How long is your reception? (sorry so long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Canadian weddings are usually a little different than American weddings. I've never been to a wedding that had a set end time. They usually go until all the guests are gone - somewhere between midnight and 1 am. Guests will start arriving at our venue at 6 pm with dinner starting around 6:30 pm. The last "event" will take place around 10-ish (bouquet toss) and then it's just dancing until guests are ready to leave on their own. No grand exit - have never been to a wedding that had one.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize you were Canadian. I realize this makes no sense, but it made me smile! I spend an extended week-end with a bunch of gal pals in south Texas last week - and one of my friends is from Canada. I adore her. My kids adore that I came home mixing 'y'all' with 'eh'.
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Ours is a total of 4 hrs for the ceremony and reception.  We are starting at 4:30 and ending at 10:30.  I don't remember how much it would be to extend it, but not $300!  Our friends can make their way to the local bars and we will most likely head back to the hotel!

I think given the price for yours, and it's only 4 hours for the "reception", I would extend yours.

• Ours will be 4 or 5 hours depending on when people leave. It starts at 6 and I think it will be winding down between 10 and 11. We are required to have everything cleaned up and be out by Midnight. We're doing no cocktail hour when guests arrive they can get in line for the buffet and sit down and eat. The WP will take pictures for about 30 mins and then we'll be announced and have our special dances. After that we'll go right over to cut the cake since the guests will be ready for it then. We only have our photog for 4 hours all day. So I want to get all the photo ops done and then just party down!
  • We are having a 5 hour reception including the cocktail hour, which seems to be the norm from what everyone has said.  Some people will always leave a wedding early but I'm sure plenty will stay the entire time (open bar and dancing!)
  • I think it might be prudent to add the extra hour.  165 people is a lot of people to put through a buffet line and you've only allocated an hour and 15 minutes for dinner.  How many buffet stations are there?  Will people be able to get through the line and eat in that amount of time? I wouldn't want people to be rushed through dinner.  Personally, I think you should add the hour and maybe leave a little leeway on the dinner end time/dancing start time.  If it's in the budget, a longer party is always a good thing!

My cocktail hour starts at 6 and the reception ends at midnight, with last call at 11:30.  My ceremony is at a different location (church).
  •  I agree, 1 hour for people to get through the line and eat before you start the toast is very tight, I would give people until 8:30. Then maybe you can do the toast and then the cake cutting and then start the dancing?
  • Our reception doesn't have an end time (I live in Ontario), but the dinner starts at 6:30....and it'll probably go until 11-1am I'd say.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 95 Invited
    image 70 Are ready to party!
    image 10 Will be missing out!
    image 15 Are MIA!
  • Thanks everyone!! That's very helpful.

And for those who asked, there will be two buffet lines. One on each side of the room.

172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards