New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Seeking DJ recommendation please

Hi,

I'm getting married at The Surf Club on July 22, 2011 and am looking for a DJ in the area. 

Does anyone have any recommendation for a great DJ?  We definitely have a group that likes to party and dance the night away.

Any referrals would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Seeking DJ recommendation please

• Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We used Alex from Jimmy Dee and were thrilled with the job that he did.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used DJ Bri Swatek/ Spinning with Style and he did a great job!

Also, check out some bridal shows coming up in Westchester. It will give you a chance to meet a few DJ's and get a sense of their personalities.

Monday, Jan 10 - Crowne Plaza in White Plains

Wednesday, Jan 12 - Lake Isle Country Club in Eastchester

Saturday, Jan 29 - Westchester County Center in White Plains

Thursday, Feb 10 - The Radisson Hotel in New Rochelle
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DJ Victor Vargas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I plan events for a living and two good companies we use are:
    Hart to Hart Entertainment - (516) 921-6008 x-25 Ask for Mario Simone
    AK Entertainment - 631-752-5118 Abe Isaacs

Good Luck with all of your planning!!!  :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW - thank you everyone for all your recommendations and immediate responses!!  That's great!

@TerriandJoe - thank you for the listing of wedding shows, I've never been to one but that seems like a great idea.
  • Options
    sdomi639sdomi639 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where can I find a video or something on victor vargas?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome!

Remember, most girls here will be referring their own DJ's. That's a lot of recs for you to sort through.

Bridal shows give you a chance to meet with a bunch and get a gage of their personality. The five minutes you spend with them there will give you a chance to decide if they are someone you want to spend time meeting with.

GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_seeking-dj-recommendation-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:350848ae-6384-44c3-8543-9a18737e3edbPost:d60d3275-0acc-42e1-90e1-fd57f6b5056a">Re: Seeking DJ recommendation please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where can I find a video or something on victor vargas?
    Posted by sdomi639[/QUOTE]

i believe you can go right to his website & he has pictures(my wedding is some of the photo's) and videos

<a href="http://www.djvictorvargas.com/djvictorvagas.com/Welcome.html">http://www.djvictorvargas.com/djvictorvagas.com/Welcome.html</a>
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_seeking-dj-recommendation-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:350848ae-6384-44c3-8543-9a18737e3edbPost:584bef0d-ca95-4b19-bd0b-94ab7ec3ae97">Re: Seeking DJ recommendation please</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're welcome! Remember, most girls here will be referring their own DJ's. That's a lot of recs for you to sort through. <strong>Bridal shows give you a chance to meet with a bunch and get a gage of their personality. The five minutes you spend with them there will give you a chance to decide if they are someone you want to spend time meeting with. </strong>GL!
    Posted by TerriandJoe[/QUOTE]

So true! There was a DJ company that was pretty popular here for a while - it seemed everyone either went with this company or Jimmy Dee - and I met them at a bridal show. I was SO turned off at their lack of interest in my husband and I as potential clients when we tried to approach them that they were immediately taken off the list.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_seeking-dj-recommendation-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:350848ae-6384-44c3-8543-9a18737e3edbPost:3364cfb9-eebc-464a-a2f2-b58228b6ba5d">Re: Seeking DJ recommendation please</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seeking DJ recommendation please : So true! There was a DJ company that was pretty popular here for a while - it seemed everyone either went with this company or Jimmy Dee - and I met them at a bridal show. I was SO turned off at their lack of interest in my husband and I as potential clients when we tried to approach them that they were immediately taken off the list.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

I agree with Kristin and Terri about that part!  Meeting them is KEY!!!!  I ended up booking the first dj i met at a bridal show over a year before my wedding...i was just at the show for ideas...hadn't even started the process.  Unlike Kristin, i had the same felling about Jimmy Dee (and Alex) that she had about this other company.  He had no interest in either me or my friend who ended up going up to him separately later in the show.  I deleted them quickly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    tstegertsteger member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I am using Ryan from The DJ Company....he is great!  And a little cheaper than Jimmy Dee
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend either Ryan from the DJ Co or Paul from Big Apple Entertainment.

But I agree, meeting the person is key. It's all about whether your personality jives with theirs and whether you feel they will be the right person for your crowd.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second The DJ Company. They have been great so far and I thought their pricing was good for what they offer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we used jamie from dancetime entertainment. he was awesome, his prices reasonable. couldn't have been happier! 
  • Options
    GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm from NJ, but a friend of my had her reception at the Poughkeepsie Grand and her DJ was timreynoldsdj.  He did a great job setting moods; subtle during dinner, rocking later on.  What was impressive is how little equipment he used.  A couple of tall very thin speakers and yet it seemed like the music was coming from everywhere.  It was pretty cool.  I have no idea on cost, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have never been to a bridal show and had no idea how helpful they could be.  If it wasn't for everyone's response I probably wouldn't have ended up at one.

Thank you!!

@psichick - We're getting married at the Surf Club too :)  Did your DJ provide music for the ceremony and/or cocktail hour?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Sound Sensational. The DJ's name is Stevie V. He works for K104. You should check out his website. He has high energy, and hypes up the crowd!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_seeking-dj-recommendation-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:350848ae-6384-44c3-8543-9a18737e3edbPost:d5e7e0ab-3276-460c-8ac2-59fa37484d45">Re: Seeking DJ recommendation please</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never been to a bridal show and had no idea how helpful they could be.  If it wasn't for everyone's response I probably wouldn't have ended up at one. Thank you!! @psichick - We're getting married at the Surf Club too :)  <strong>Did your DJ provide music for the ceremony and/or cocktail hour?
    </strong>Posted by LeyLey82[/QUOTE]

Most DJ's will include music for cocktail hour in your package. You usually just need to let them know if you want it. And also since their packages are usually based on a 5 hour day (1 hr cocktail hour + 4 hrs recp) if you need more time you might have to pay for an extra hour or whatever time you need. But most include music for cocktail hour.

GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're planning on meeting with The Dj Company tomorrow (weather permitting!) and I am going to call a few others recommended on this board.

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice.  I've lurked on some of the other Knot boards and this board is so much more friendly!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards