Asian Weddings

Traditional Korean Reception Ideas Needed!

I read the post about ducks as cake toppers, and I'll have to search Ebay for that one. Does anyone know of any other Korean traditions for a reception? or ceremony for that matter. I was hoping to find something in lieu of the boquet/garter toss.

Re: Traditional Korean Reception Ideas Needed!

• edited December 2011
    I'm not sure- but I'd certainly be interested to find out. I'll do a little research too. I've never been a fan of the bouquet/garter tosses so we'll just be skipping it. But if I had a substitute, that'd be even better! haha. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    There were a few things actually on this topic on the knot.  I think I googled korean wedding traditions and found the knot page on it.  
  • edited December 2011
    I think a lot of the traditions you'd find are very old. I think the one I know of is paebak...Sorry for the spelling. That's the bowing ceremony to the parents and they throw the dates and chestnuts that you catch in the skirt or sleeve of the wedding hanbok. At least I think that's the ceremony...I can't really think of any others off the top of my head.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out this website if you would like to incorporate the traditional ceremony on top of your wedding ceremony.http://mybridestory.blogspot.com/2008/12/introducing-pae-baek-ceremony.htmlbut you would have to professional place that would set it up for you and you would need to rent the clothes and etc.  and FYI, it is not cheap.  I was going to incorporate that into my wedding but it just became too much.  So, this is what I'm doing for my upcoming wedding.I am changing into traditional korean outfit after the ceremony and when they announce the couples for the reception, I will be entering with the outfit.  And for being traditional, we will be visiting each table and thanking them with a bow.  we are still doing the bouquet and garter toss because there isn't anything to replace them except the traditional ceremony with the clothes, etc.  Let me know if this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you! You have all been very helpful. :)
  • edited December 2011
    We had duck favors (ceramic ducks that were purchased form the town where we got married -Guanajuato Mexico).I wore a paebok for a portion of the reception. It was a surprise for my mom.We did a tea ceremonyMy new ILs and parents tossed chestnuts onto my dress. We had *I think* 32 chestnuts. Oh my. I think one child is good for me. haha.
  • shinn_joyceshinn_joyce member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Paebek shouldnt cost you anymore than $1k.  If you rent with fake food/decorations it should cost you roughly $600 whereas if you use real displays, that will put you around 1k.  Paebek rentals are available at any korean wedding rental shop.  They'll come set everything up and will help you in your traditional attire.

I think we're planning on incorporating paebek into our reception.  Ive been to weddings where they did paebek before (during cocktail hour) and after the reception. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards