Georgia-Atlanta

Finally joining in!

I've been engaged for almost a month and have been on here reading and taking it all in, but finally decided to join today. I'm so excited to get going on the real planning of our wedding and can already tell this is going to be a great resource.

Any advice on what the first steps in planning should be?  I've been to several venues already and have my choices narrowed. 

Re: Finally joining in!

• edited December 2011
    Sounds like you are on the right track already!

Finding your venue/church is a great way to start! Its good to get a rough estimate together of how many people you think you will have. I've found that pretty much every decision hinges on that!

Picking a date is important too.

After those things are done you get to have a break for a while and if your engagement is long enough (like mine!) you can just do stuff when you have a chance, and when you are stressed with really life you can just put wedding planning on hold!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and Congrats!!

What FI and I did a few days after we got engaged was did a guest list of close friends and family to get a very rough estimate of how many people we were dealing with. Next, we sat down and tried to figure out a date that worked well for our families. I called up a few venues I saw online to see if they had our date available and then checked them out and put in our application for our church. 
    TK  checklist was super helpful. Getting the church and venue were the most stressful things about planning for me and the rest is downhill!

Good Luck and ask lots of questions!
    imageAnniversary
  • ncohioncohio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome to the board!  I think the hardest part of planning for me was choosing the venue.  Either the location was too small, or too expensive, or didn't allow outside catering, or didn't give enough rental time for the event or wouldn't book far enough in advance....I looked from around Feb/March until June before I found a place.  After that, it was a lot easier to plan everything.  If you are planning to DIY, figure out the projects you want to do now so you can start watching for sales and begin working on those.  And of course, anytime you have a question, post it.  It's likely that someone else also has the same question or someone doesn't realize that it's something they may need to know until they see it asked.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards