Virginia

Yorktown Wedding of an Ohio girl...

I'm from Ohio and can't stand the state, but my finace is from gorgeous Yorktown, Virginia.  I love the area and it seems to just work out better for our families to have a May wedding there.  But we both go to school in Tennessee and can only make it to Virginia on breaks.  I'm trying to do as much as I can online and over the phone so that we can interview in November, book in December, and finalize in April.

I'm super skeptical about djs (I've seen one too many first dances ruined), need a bakery willing to be a little crazy (we cinnamon rolls in the form of a cake!), and am willing to splurge a little more on the photographer (ten years later those pictures are what's left).  But we're on a serious budget, so price is a close second under quality.

So I need everything, sweet Virginia ladies!  If you know of any decent caterers, bakeries, photographers, florists, djs, venues, or whatever else you think would be helpful, I'd love your input!  Thanks so much.  :)

Re: Yorktown Wedding of an Ohio girl...

• edited December 2011
    Baker: Try Creations from the Heart in Seaford, VA. She does just about anything and told me she is willing to try something she's never done before. You can send her a message through her website to see if she is up for cinnamon rolls. http://www.cakesbyalice.net/

Photographer: We used Prints Charming Photography, they are fairly inexpensive, but if I had the money I would have splurged.

Florist: We used Jeff's Flowers in Newport News and they were very reasonably priced and so helpful. They will also let you make changes up to the day before your event.

DJ: We used Affordable DJ, but I'm biased here as the company is owned by friends.

Venues: If you really want to keep it in Yorktown, most people go with the Freight Shed, but they book pretty far in advance, so I would look at that right away. (It actually looks full for almost ever Saturday next year, but if you are willing to go for a Sunday you might be able to do it.) It is beautiful and during peak wedding season they keep the tent erected out back all the time. I went to one wedding there this past year and it was absolutely beautiful.
     http://www.yorkcounty.gov/Default.aspx?alias=www.yorkcounty.gov/freightshed

Also try the Mariner's Museum in Newport News. We went to a wedding there as well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    My bestfriend got married at yorktown beach for the ceremony and rented the freight shed for the reception. This could hold 75-95 people. Though you would need outside catering. The shed is nice but MHO I would rent something else.

I used Bit of Ivory Photography for our engagment photos and she will also be shooting our wedding. She is very reasonable and has packages for all budgets. She is super professional though she is more of a friend now. Very relatable. We loved her!
    May 21st,2011
    "to make you feel my love"
    dreamaandavid.weebly.com/

Photo taken by Bit of Ivory Photography
  • edited December 2011
    I second Creations from the Heart.  We have booked our cake through her and can't wait!

For photography we're using Oak Moon Photography.  Cheapest package is $1000 and that is with $100 print credit, 2 photographers and a dvd with rights to the pics.

Florists, we havn't picked one yet, but we have gotten a quote from Pam Pollards, which is rather inexpensive compared to the first one we got which was rediculous, and I have an appt on Thursday w/ Jeffs Flowers in NN.

Venue we are using isn't necesarily Yorktown, but it's close.  We have booked Kiln Creek Golf & Country Club for ceremony and reception.  Plus they have hotel rooms on site which is wonderful for out of town guests and a spa!

Haven't picked a DJ yet

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey as far as florist you guys should also get a quote from the florist I'm using. His name is Todd at Black Iris Floral Events. Out of my whole Yacht Club Wedding package he has by far been my favorite vendor. He listens and creates. He doesnt do ANY retail floral work outside of big events...He has no interest in having a flower shop. He just likes doing this. He also provides linens and uplighting. I can't wait to see him again and to see my fab-u-lous centerpieces!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Manderz27Manderz27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness, you ladies are fabulous!!  I'm running to work right now, but when I get back I have some surfing to do!  Keep the comments coming please, they're all so so helpful!  You really have no idea.   :)
  • edited December 2011
    Pam Pollards Florist is doing my flowers.  With flowers, tax, and delivery  the total was about 450.  If you want to know exactly what I got, I can PM you.

Photography, I know I said earlier was Oak Moon Photography.  Here is a coupon http://maps.google.com/coupons/page?did=0_17924123906306681396&provider=SELF&cid=9TF0JMKLLGS8JUQN&oi=md_coup&sa=X&ct=coup&cd=1&gl=us&hl=en

DJ's - I've been doing some searching myself and here is what I have found so far: Astro - around 650, Big Dreams Entertainment - around 500, A&E Entertainment starts at 995, Absolute DJ's starts at 395 for 3 hours-45 for each additional hour-and 50 for extra lighting.

Hope this helps!
  • slcinvaslcinva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cakes: www.bellacakes1.com - look at Anna's gallery.. I have seen and tasted her cakes - they are Cake Boss quality and the best tasting cake I've ever had. I liked the wedding cake so much that I've hired her for other events/parties as well.
    DJ: DJ Zero Hour - www.zerohourva.com - I have been to several events that he has done and he did a recent charity event - Zumbathon. He gives a lot back to the community, communicates very well during planning, shows up early, stays at his post (can't stand the weddings where the dj sets it on auto pilot and you can't find him)
  • edited December 2011
    Bella Cakes and Creations from the Heart will be at the bridal show at the Point Plaza in Newport News, on Sunday, October 24.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards