Wedding Woes

grandparent update

They found an apartment in an "independent living" facility about 15 minutes from my parents, 30 from my aunt, 45 from my uncle, and 5 minutes from my brother--the favorite grandchild.

My grandfather is really excited about it and wants to move in yesterday. He was telling me about his plans to turn the second bedroom into a den, which I guess is the old-man version of a man cave.  My grandmother thinks it's nice, but wasn't ready to give up her life at the beach. She'll come around.

They'll get 2 meals provided per day, and maid and laundry service once a week, and there are doctors and social workers on call. It's not full-out assisted living, which is good since they're really not that bad off at this point. I think they'll get to maintain their social lives, but not have the stress of cooking and housework, and they'll be close to family if anything bad happens.

Re: grandparent update

• loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this sounds like a perfect solution.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's nice to know that people will be helping them/looking out for them. 

one of my grandfathers refused to go to a nursing home because he was "just fine"  - this place was like the Waldorf-Astoria of nursing homes. Hell, I would have moved in there if it wasn't for all of the old people. They had a 24 hour sundae bar!

• edited December 2011
    That sounds lovely. I'm sure it will give everyone a nice piece of mind.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, sounds like a great situation for everybody. 
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like the best for everyone.
  • nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My grandparents live in a similar facility and love it.  

And it's particularly helpful when some thing *does* go wrong.  Gma was home alone, fell off a stool and broke her ankle.  She pulled the string in the kitchen, a voice came over the intercom system and two big burly guys came in to help.  They took her to the hospital and she was home before Gpa returned from his weekend trip.

My grandparents said this was their gift to the family - they'd spend their savings so as not to be a burden to their children.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards