New Jersey

DIY wedding albums

Anyone have a link to theirs that they want to share? I could use some inspiration.

I've been playing around on a few different websites (Blurb, Shutterfly, MyPublisher) and I think MPix might be the one I'll go with.

Re: DIY wedding albums

• edited December 2011
    I used mpix and I am very happy with it.  Slightly more expensive but the quality is also better IMO.  Also I like that you can alter the templates as you see fit.  The link to my album should be in my siggy.  :)
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, this is an interesting option. My FI and I have been visting photogs and the album prices just seem out of this world, was it easy to do your own albumn?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Christina!
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_diy-wedding-albums-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:42fe3c41-82a2-4b7b-946b-3382078b029fPost:fbadbdf5-ca89-4bd5-9090-08f0b0fbc532">Re: DIY wedding albums</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, this is an interesting option. My FI and I have been visting photogs and the album prices just seem out of this world, was it easy to do your own albumn?
    Posted by ahhndrea[/QUOTE]

<div>If you're considering this option, make sure you ask your (potential) photographers about getting a digital copy of the proofs and the rights to print them. Some photographers will give you digital proofs but you won't be able to print larger sized photos or the print quality will be poor.  I discussed this with my photographer and he is having all of my proofs converted and put on a DVD so that I can make parents albums and prints of whatever I want.  I think it's costing me an additional $100.  I am having him make our album, but I like the flexibility of being able to make the albums I want for our parents.  A lot of packages I saw required parents albums photos to come from the photos you select for your album.  </div>
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

I think DIY is a great option and I would love to do it- my only concern is that I think when you use the photographer for albums they retouch all the photos going into the album and can add effects if you want. I doubt I can do this on my own. Has anyone been able to do this themselves?

• edited December 2011
    I found it very easy to do.  It took time because I didnt just drag and drop.  I altered the templates as I wanted, but having the templates was nice cause I used them as jumping off points.

As far as quality... my photographer retouched all the pics, etc before she put them on DVD for me as a high-res format so it wasnt an issue.

Just be careful if you do a full 2 page spread like my family/inlaw pic... I keep meaning to order another one b/c jesse's face ended up in the crease and you cant see him at all. My error ( LOL).  I am gonna split the pic in half and then put it in on 2 pages I believe to fix that.  (I joked with him that the day wasnt about him so it doesnt really matter.  ;)  )
    imageimage
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our photographer gave us the rights to our photos - we didn't have to pay extra for them, they were included in our package. He feels very strongly that couples should own their own photos, he told us when we first met with him.

We got all the high-res, edited photos on one CD (about 700), and we got an external hard drive of every single photo taken that day (several thousand) as well. We're free to do whatever we want with them.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Mpix for my bpics and was very happy with the quality of the album. But just note I think their books only go up to 50 pages?

I wanted to make a book from our honeymoon pictures, and wound up using Picaboo. Their books can go up to maybe 160 pages (our honeymoon book wound up being 114). Their software is similar to Mpix, in thay it gives you a lot of flexibility. I'm just not sure that the paper will be of as high quality as  Mpix. (I should get the album next week.)

As a note, I tried but did not like the software from Blurb and Snapfish.
  • edited December 2011
    You definately need the rights to make an album from the photographers pics. My cousin is making her own. She got married 2 years ago and still ihasn't finished it and now with a baby she has no time. Your album is forever. I think it is worth it to have it done professionally. With the amount of time my cousin has spent on hers, she could have worked those same hours at a part time job and made more than the album would have cost.
  • PeacefieldPeacefield member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've used Mpix for other things and really like their quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards