Snarky Brides

Did you get married at the age you planned?

At what age did you want to get married?
At what age did you get married?

Happy? Sad? Thoughts?

Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?

• In High School, my best guy-friend and I determined that if we were 25 with no hopes with anyone else we'd just get married.  I don't want to have babies in my 30s. 

I turned 25 this year.  I'm not marrying my best guy-friend from high school.  So I think that worked out well. 
  • i always thought I would have gotten married maybe closer to my mid-twenties but I am getting married when I am 29...

i can't say i am really sad about it...so excited for my Fi and I to start yet another chapter together (we did things backwards, relocated, adopted a dog, bought a house, and now are getting married) so I am excited...my parents are proud of us and we are on pretty stable ground which I guess is always a plus.
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • I'll be 23, nearly 24 when I'm married. I expected to be older, at least closer to 30, when I got married. But, hey, I met the man of my dreams and that's just how it happened.

I'm happy about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:0772b1d2-cf06-4aa8-a682-2d4be6782959">Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]At what age did you want to get married? <strong>24-25</strong>
    At what age did you get married? <strong>I'll be 27</strong>
    Happy? Sad? Thoughts?
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

I'm a little sad, and I fully recognize how stupid it is to feel this way, but I feel a little 'behind' in life.  Most of my friends are already married and in houses, some have babies.  Joshua served in the Navy for 4 years so now he's finishing his BS, but we're still a ways away from him landing a job (and in this hiring climate, Lord knows when that will be) or having the steady income necessary to buy a house, and until we have a house, no babies.

So, I just feel a bit behind where I thought I'd be.
  • AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I figured I'd be married around 25, kids at 26 or 27.

...Married thing not so much. I'm definitely holding out for kids at 26 or 27 though. I'm happy about it.
  • At what age did you want to get married?  I had 25ish in mind.
    At what age did you get married?  First time, 20.  This time, 46

Happy? Sad? Thoughts?  Not at all how I thought it all would turn out.  Sad about marrying the wrong person (absolutely, completely wrong) the first time and wasting so many years holding that house of cards together.  But, in the end, I am happy that I am now with someone who is perfect for me, and I have no doubt that we will be married until we die.

imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Well, ever since I was little I always said I was never, ever getting married. And I stuck with that throughout high school, which is why I didn't date. Even when H and I first started dating I figured he would get tired of me eventually and leave, so I never was even thinking about marriage.

When we started to actually talk about it, all I said was that I wanted to be out of school and have a job. I was 24 when we got married, he was 31 (still the same age, the wedding was last April). I'm not sad or happy either way about the age, it just is. According to my mom, I'm a 40 year-old trapped in a 24-year-old's body, so it doesn't feel like I got married too young to me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:b24f5fa8-f236-47cd-a933-8846fd5b4cd6">Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In High School, my best guy-friend and I determined that if we were 25 with no hopes with anyone else we'd just get married.  I don't want to have babies in my 30s.  I turned 25 this year.  I'm not marrying my best guy-friend from high school.  So I think that worked out well. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Haha my best guy friend and I made this pact, too.  I'm glad he didn't take me up on it because he's really into heavy drugs now and may or may not still live at home with his grandparents. 

In college and shortly after, I decided I wanted to get married in my late 20's/early 30's but I ended up meeting Wes right away at my first job and got married  at 25.  My college friends like to tease me about it. 
  • I always thought I would get married at 25 and sure enough, the wedding was 2 months after my 25th birthday. Scott always thought he'd be married in his early 20's like his sister, but was 35 at our wedding.

Jelenny, we feel like that sometimes too because of the age difference. We keep comparing our lives to people his age, like his sister. They all have houses, retirement plans, investments, kids, etc and we feel very behind. I keep reminding him that if we compared ourselves to my friends we would be very very ahead. It's all how you look at it.
  • I got married at 24, but never really thought about when I wanted to get married prior to dating DH.  I guess I just assumed it would be anytime during my mid-20s. 

I did, however, think to myself during high school that if I hadn't met anyone after college that I would join an online dating site to help the process along.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will be 26 almost 27 when I get married.

I always said I would be married by 24 and kids by 26...well...I guess things happen for a reason cause things are going according to plan ( the new plan that is HA)!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • At what age did you want to get married?
    At what age did you get married?

Happy? Sad? Thoughts?

Before I went to college, I thought I'd get married in my early 20's and have at least one kid by the time I was 30. Then I spent 21-27 with cheating asshat, so I'm pretty glad I didn't marry him, or have his child, even though the child he has is awesome. 

I'm cool with getting married now (31, almost 32). I think I know a lot more, am more independent, and have seen many more things and people. I feel that I have a lot more to offer a child and a husband than I did in my 20's. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:0772b1d2-cf06-4aa8-a682-2d4be6782959">Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]At what age did you want to get married? At what age did you get married? Happy? Sad? Thoughts?

Prior to me being 33, I didn't have much interest in getting married, so I guess I'm getting married earlier than I initially thought lol.  I changed my mind shortly after I met FI and proposed on my 34th bday, we'll be married a month or so after I turn 35.  She'll be 26 at the time, but before meeting me she did not want to get married until after she was done with med school and the four years of residency, so 29; I accelerated her plans I guess. :-)

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    For most of my life pre-H I termed myself "the undateable" because I had very few serious long term relationships, most lasted a few months at best. I honestly didnt think I would get married, let alone when.

Im happy to be married at the age I am though.
  • Which time?

Ok, I was married to my first husband at 18, he was 30. It was a terrible marriage.

Move on to husband number 2 at 26, we were married for almost 10 years, but we spent most the time apart. We divorced amicably, and we continued to raise our son (not his biological son), he was a great dad terrible husband. But we still get along, he has made amends to me. And I choose to forgive and move on.

I like being a wife though, and taking care of the people I love.
    This is my last marriage, I just turned 44 he just turned 48. We have been together for going on 7 years,and this is the healthiest most loving relationship I've ever had, for him too.
    I would have loved to have met him sooner, but I think we both had to go through what we did to appreciate what we have. And we wouldn't have our children,he adopted his daughter from his first wife.She is his only child.
  • I was definitely convinced I'd be single through my 20's.  I enjoyed being independent, and had no rush to get married.  But I met my BF right after college, we've been together 2 years and been through a lot together, and we plan to get married in 2 more years right after he finishes law school and takes the bar exam.  I'll be 26, if we do things on the schedule we have discussed.  I definitely didn't think I'd be getting married in my 20's, but I fully believe that you have to take what life gives you and make the best of it.  This man is the best thing that could have happened to me, and I look forward to having him by my side for the next 50+ years!
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:4c10a065-6403-436b-969a-1491dc8a17cc">Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Which time? Ok, I was married to my first husband at 18, he was 30. It was a terrible marriage. Move on to husband number 2 at 26, we were married for almost 10 years, but we spent most the time apart. We divorced amicably, and we continued to raise our son (not his biological son), he was a great dad terrible husband. But we still get along, he has made amends to me. And I choose to forgive and move on. I like being a wife though, and taking care of the people I love. This is my last marriage, I just turned 44 he just turned 48. We have been together for going on 7 years,and this is the healthiest most loving relationship I've ever had, for him too. I would have loved to have met him sooner, but I think we both had to go through what we did to appreciate what we have. And we wouldn't have our children,he adopted his daughter from his first wife.She is his only child.
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

What in the crap have you been drinking to be 44 and look like that? Can I buy some?
  • I wanted to get married around 25. I was with the wrong guy at the time, and he wouldn't commit, and now I'm so glad. I'll be getting married at 30, and there's a lot more 'settle down & have a baby' pressure to do it all immediately than I think there would have been at 25 - from family, friends, and from myself. I wish we could have a few years to just enjoy being newlyweds but I know we won't do that getting married later like this.

• I never wanted to get married in my early 20's i always wanted to be young free and single and settle down in my 30's but you just dont chose when you fall in love, and in my case we couldnt wait all that long before we made it legal otherwise we wouldnt be together.
  • I used to think I'd get married at 24 or 25.  But I'm glad I'm marrying at 27.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I got married when I was 25, almost 26. It was fine I guess. Most of my college friends got married right out of college or like a year later and now own homes and all that, but most of my high school friends are still single. I don't really compare myself to anyone though, since H and I have a lot of moving around still to do. Actually, we consider ourselves pretty lucky that we're NOT tied down with a mortgage, most of our friends who own homes own crappy starter homes that they bought when the real estate market was still inflated and now they're underwater or close to it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:31561b0f-890a-41fd-b91e-ace351287e5e">Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did you get married at the age you planned? : What in the crap have you been drinking to be 44 and look like that? Can I buy some?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Nebb- I love you, but you have to give the credit to my make-up artist. I do not look like that in real life. See I need to get my passport and come see you so you will know the truth.
  • My parents got married when they were 22 and 23 - so I always thought I'd be married by 22 or 23.

But I will be 26 when I get married.

I'm okay with that.  I've enjoyed the few years I've had of independence.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:9abac5e6-4966-45ad-98b9-905755f2b6a3">Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll be 23, nearly 24 when I'm married. I expected to be older, at least closer to 30, when I got married. But, hey, I met the man of my dreams and that's just how it happened. I'm happy about it.
    Posted by MarriedInAFever[/QUOTE]

this, exactly. i think all of my friends were extremely shocked (i'm the independent, feisty feminist type, supposedly) when we got engaged... but you know, life and plans and all that.

my fiance is really anxious about kids though, even though we're planning to wait about 5 years before that will enter the picture. i think his biological clock is ticking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, when I was 12, I thought I'd be married at 23. Then when I was late teens I thought that might not be such a good idea. When I was actually 23, I was a mess.

I kind/sorta though I'd get married before 30. Like maybe 27? I'll be 28 when I get married.  <- That is, if I ever got married at all, which I wasn't holding my breath over.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • At what age did you want to get married? when I was younger I had it planned out and thought I would be married at 25

At what age did you get married? well, I am currently 26 and still waiting on the ring...

Happy? Sad? Thoughts? I'm happy because we have taken the time to really get to know each other and grow as both individuals and as a couple... Looking back, I don't think I would have been able to plan a wedding, be a (good) wife in my early twenties because I was still developing who I really am... But now I just wish he'd hurry up... haha...

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • I'll be 28 when we get married...considering I almost married a total DB at 24, I'm glad things worked out the way they did.  It's a little later than I hoped but I'm marrying a non-DB so no complaints!  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:12206cc0-3147-4514-b4c1-1f2d6b811dae">Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always thought I would get married at 25 and sure enough, the wedding was 2 months after my 25th birthday. Scott always thought he'd be married in his early 20's like his sister, but was 35 at our wedding. Jelenny, we feel like that sometimes too because of the age difference. We keep comparing our lives to people his age, like his sister.<strong> They all have houses, retirement plans, investments, kids, etc and we feel very behind. I keep reminding him that if we compared ourselves to my friends we would be very very ahead. It's all how you look at it.</strong>

That's like me and Oliver too. The only reason I feel "behind" with regards to kids is because he's 36 and will be 38 or 39 when we start trying.

But comparitively, none of my friends are even married yet.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • At what age did you want to get married?  Thought 25 was a good age

At what age did you get married? Getting married at 29.

Happy? Sad? Thoughts?

Oh, I'm so happy I didn't get married when I was younger. I wasn't ready emotionally, financially, intellectually !  I would be divorced now for sure. I didn't exactly date the 'best' or 'good' guys that would have made me truly happy, was into chasing the 'players' and not knowing what the hell I was doing basically. Now that I have traveled everywhere I had dreamed of, finished college, dated plenty of 'not the one' guys, partied, had so many wild times, I'm ready to settle down and start a family..

• Age wanted to get married: 24
    Age got married: 26

Happy? Sad? Thoughts? 

Sad to the fact that a lot of my friends got married in the marriage boom in the early 20s, but in retrospect 25% of those friends are now divorced and are mad :(

Happy, that I waited, and found DH, which is not related to high school, or college :)

Thoughts, everything is based on some mood or decision in the early part of life, and when things fall into place, and your boyfriend turns into your fiance, it's spectacular, and the age equation of what you wanted, and what happens gets hurled out of the window!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards