Chinese Weddings
Options

Chinese Engagement Party/Dinner?!

I was engaged last month on our 10 year anniversary. DH and I have grown up together.  He is caucasian and we were both born in North America.  My mother just recently asked me when I wanted my "engagement dinner" at a Chinese banquet hall.  I am not quite sure what the expectations are. 

That being said, my mother is not super traditional (we are forgeoing tea ceremony and door games etc) but she did mention that we have to do it "properly".  She asked me who many asian friends I will have that might come.  I am not sure where to start with helping her to plan this?

DH and I are having a desination wedding so most of the people invited to the engagement dinner will not be coming with us (and the majority will be my mother's friends anyway).  I suppose this could be more like an "at home reception".  Did any of you have a traditonal 10 course engagement meal?  What are the traditions?  Am I expected to wear a cheongsam? (I don't really want to.  I'm petite but pretty busty so it never looks good on me).  Any tips would be great!  Thanks!
Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Chinese Engagement Party/Dinner?!

• Options
    LilCrumpetLilCrumpet member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually the huge banquet meal is meant for a wedding reception, but since you are having a destination wedding, your mother probablly wants to have the engagement meal in its place.

You are supposed to wear a cheongsam, but don't worry. I have done a lot of research on them.. and the styles are changing. A lot of Chinese sites are selling dresses that are red/gold and saying they are cheongsams when in all reality they look like red prom dresses or red versions of American wedding gowns. Maybe you could get a dress like that? Here is a link to the dress I will be wearing.. it's not high collared at all.. I'm more of a fun person and this dress is totally me.

http://www.chinesekwa.com/Kwa-Qipao/Long-Tailed-Qipao-326891001-p139.html

I say wear something you'll love and will be comfortable in. If you think you look bad in it, you'll be worried though the whole party about how you look!

I say talk to your mother.. ask her which of the traditional things she'd want and which you can skip.. it's YOUR party.. you decide how many courses you'd like and what you want! I hope you have fun! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards