California-San Diego
Options

Vendor Reviews

Hi everyone,

Our wedding was on July 18th, and it couldn’t have been better! We had some truly wonderful vendors, and I wanted to pass their names along to all of you.

Photographer: Photography by Chana & Don – They were the first vendors we booked, and the only one of the hundreds of vendors at the Bridal Bazaar that stood out to me. As soon as I met them there and saw their work, I texted my husband and told him. They’ve been working together as a pair for ages, and it shows. They’re casual and really focus on telling a story through candids. Of course there are the requisite posed group photos, too. Included in all their packages are 2 photographers, 4x6 proofs, and the digital hi-res copies (on DVD) of all the photos with no watermarks. This means you can do whatever you want with the photos. But if you decide to order prints/albums with them (and I recommend you do), their prices are very reasonable. We ordered an album for ourselves, and smaller ones for our parents.

AND, if you’ve heard nightmares about waiting months for your photos and never hearing from your photographer, I guarantee you won’t have that problem here; they have a 2-week turnaround. Chana emailed us 5 days after the wedding to tell us that the photos were all online. We had our proofs and DVD in our hands 9 days after the
wedding. Oh, and they also do destination weddings!

In addition to their easy presence and great photography, they provided us with fantastic recommendations for our DJ (Bill Calhoun) and our honeymoon destination in Cabo San Lucas. Many times over they delivered more than we expected and trust their judgement hands down.

Grade: A+++

Ceremony Venue: Marina Village (South Lawn) – We really wanted an outdoor ceremony near the coast (because of the summer heat). We found all of this at Marina Village. The South Lawn is beautiful (more trees than the North). We added on an aisle runner and extra chairs (100 included) for the ceremony site. Grade: A

Reception Venue: Marina Village (Bayview Room) – Our main criteria were budget and casual atmosphere. Because it was a destination wedding for 90% of our guests, we also wanted the reception to be in the same location. Marina Village fit perfectly. The rental included the tables and chairs. The BEST part was the freedom to use any vendors we wanted. This really was allowed us to stay within our budget. The rental fees were average, but we saved sooooooooo much on using the caterer of our choice, and providing our own alcohol (no license needed if it’s open bar). It was also nice that they only rent the room once daily and open it to you from 9am to midnight. Rental only includes 5 hours of event time, but that doesn’t include set-up (you can start at 9am) or clean-up (you have until midnight). You can add extra hours to the event for more $. This venue is great if you’re on a budget and are willing to do legwork (or have a coordinator to do it); you have to bring in all your own vendors, and do your own clean-up. It’s not so good if you everything to be included in a single package. Grade: A

Catering: Smoke House Grills – My husband and I are backyard BBQ people, not formal sit-down dinner people, so we knew exactly what we wanted when we were planning our wedding. Basically, we tasted their food, looked at the cost (<$20/person!), and we were hooked. They served tri-tip, chicken breast, veggie lasagna, and multiple salads. They cook the meat on-site, so it’s not dried out. The tri-tip was cooked perfectly, and more impressively had VERY moist chicken breast. Try to find that at a large catering event! My friends who don’t typically like chicken breast because it can be dry, went back for seconds. Heck, a vegetarian even ate their meat! We also added on appetizers (yummy), lemonade, and iced water. They helped with the champagne pour, cake cutting, and clearing the tables (including re-packing the dishes for the rental company). It’s a nice family business, and Ron (the owner) is great! Possible downside is that they only provide (high-quality) disposable dishes, but this didn’t deter us, as we rented them separately.
Grade: A+

Cake: Edelweiss Bakery (in Rancho Bernardo) – I grew up just minutes from this bakery, and I’ve never had anything from there that I didn’t like. They don’t take any shortcuts with their baking, and it shows in the quality of their products. They do mostly buttercream, which is exactly what we wanted. Their cake was moist and flavorful, and everyone loved it! We got the white cake with lemon for the 1st and 3rd tiers, and chocolate for the middle. Plus, they’re one of the most reasonably priced bakeries in the city! If you’re looking for a fondant cake that’s got a complicated design, then this may not be for you. But if you want a delicious buttercream cake, then I wouldn’t look anywhere else! Grade: A+

DJ: Bill Calhoun – This guy is awesome! Our photographers recommended him, and boy did they come through! Bill is a true professional, and he charges half of what most other DJs charge. If you think because he charges less he’s not as good, you’re wrong. He has a good selection of music and will get anything you request (ahead of time) if he doesn’t have it. If you have been to an event where the DJ is awkward with crowds and announcements, you know how that can be a party killer. Bill is very natural and easy when speaking. He’s great about sticking to your timeline and requests. He knows how to read a crowd. He even includes a separate smaller set-up for sound support and music if you have an outdoor ceremony. If you want lots of special lighting and crazy effects, then he may not be for you; but if you want a fun professional DJ who will get people out on the floor, then book Bill! Grade: A+

Make-up: Rita Nguyen – Rita used to work at the MAC counter in Fashion Valley Nordstrom, and now she just does special events. I’m not a big make-up person in general, and Rita made me look like myself but better. My bridesmaids who NEVER wear make-up in real life even said they loved their make-up. Her prices are VERY reasonable, and the trial was even included, as were the eyelashes! My make-up lasted from 9am until I took it off at midnight. Grade: A+

Linens: Marina Village – They recently expanded their offerings and now have napkins and linens of any fabric/color imaginable. The prices are VERY reasonable, and they set it up for you (along with the tables and chairs). At the end of the night, you just pile them all on a single table. I was even able to make adjustments to my rental order the week of the wedding. Grade: A

Dishes: Anar Party Rentals – This was actually my 2nd choice for rental company, as the 1st one was booked up that day. The prices are very reasonable (I believe they price-match. We weren’t looking for fancy dishes, so their regular white dishes, flatware, and glassware were exactly what we wanted. The big downside was the customer service. They said they would call me to confirm a delivery time, but I never heard from them. I called multiple times the days before the wedding, and they either didn’t call back or told me they would but didn’t. In the end, they delivered and picked up as previously discussed, but it didn’t help my peace of mind the day of the wedding. We also had to play phone tag with them after the wedding because we ended up losing a couple small items (oops!), but it took a few phone calls to figure out what and the cost (~$20). Grade: B

Day-of Coordinator: Caroline H – When I needed someone last-minute, Caroline was referred to us by a family friend. She used to coordinate weddings but now works in real estate. She was truly my lifesaver the day of the wedding, since I was getting ready at a hotel and unable to see what was going on at the venue. She made sure all the vendors made it, all tables were set up, everyone was in place, and then helped with clean-up. Because she doesn’t do this full-time, I don’t recommend her for wedding planning, but if you want someone to save your sanity and coordinate everyone, then she’s great. If you want her info, please PM me.

Honeymoon: Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas – We didn’t have much time but wanted to get away to somewhere with warm weather and beaches. This was another recommendation from our photographers (did I mention how much we love them?), and it was perfect. The price for flight and the resort were more than reasonable, booked through Travelocity. Cabo is so close to San Diego, so we didn’t lose time travelling. The resort is all-inclusive, which meant no worries on our part. The room includes a mini-bar (refilled daily) and alcohol dispensers. The buffets are amazing (especially dinner), and they have 4 restaurants that you can reserve for sit-down dinner. The drinks can be on the weak side, but it’s all-inclusive, so just ask for a double (or triple!), and it’s yours. Even lounging poolside, servers will come up to you and take orders. They have two infinity edge pools, and two swim-up bars. There’s entertainment at night, and a dance club (though we didn’t go). The only downside is it’s too far to walk to downtown, but it’s just a $12 cab ride away; that’s total for 1-4 people, and you’ll always be able to find someone to share it with. We felt very relaxed and pampered there. Would definitely go back! Grade: A+

Re: Vendor Reviews

• Options
    kjhharriskjhharris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm booked with Rita Nguyen for my 10/29 wedding - she really does great work that lasts!  Did you have anyone doing hair?  Congrats on the great wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have to disagree with Eidelweiss Bakery. I really had high hopes for them because my boss recommended them, but I had two consultations with them to try to give them a second chance, but their cake was dry and they have very few choices. Both times I went in, the only cake that wasn't dry was the bavarian cream one. Also, the older lady who works there was giving me some BS the whole time about delivery fees. First she was like, "Oh, because we have so many weddings on that day, it's 125 to deliver" and then FI was like, "On a Thursday?" and she was like, "Oh, well... because it's rush hour... and we have to tie up a driver". Then her last line, "Can't someone just pick it up for you?"... UMMMM NO! That's A LOT to ask of someone.

Yes, their prices are cheap... but when you are paying 125 for delivery is it really worth it?

I think that people should try them for their own... maybe I had TWO really bad experiences there. But, seriously... the bakery is old and their work is mediocre to me. I mean... look at the cakes in the window! They look amazing from far away, but up close, they look like whoever does the work either doesn't have steady hand or just blows right though it. Or maybe, those have been the same demo cakes for years and years.

It's your choice, brides. Like I said... some people have amazing experiences, some don't. I just thought I would give my 2 cents. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am emailing Miss Rita Nguyen now!!! Thanks for that suggestion -- her work looks fabulous!!!
  • Options
    bassgrl127bassgrl127 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Edelweiss. I don't know whether they've changed their delivery prices, but we had a Sunday wedding, and our cake was $450 for 3 tiers (for 150 people), with $50 delivery.

Also, one more vendor I forgot...

Wedding Dress: 2000 Dreams - I actually originally found my dress at another store in San Diego, but ended up purchasing my dress here because they had a much better price. It's not a high end store, but they have a good selection. The sales guy has been doing this for a while, and he picked another dress (Maggie Sottero) that I almost purchased, but in the end I went with the Pronovias Genova dress I had seen at another store. My one complaint is that they didn't call me with my dress delivery date. I was told 4-5 months when I ordered it, and I called after 5 months when I hadn't heard anything. The dress ended up arriving the week after I called, so I don't know whether I just happened to call before they got the chance. Once it arrived, I had no problems. I also had the alterations done here, and they did a beautiful bustle, with the train gathered up on the sides (instead of pinned up in the back in a typical French or English bustle). The alterations and cleaning were done exactly on time. Grade: A
  • Options
    bassgrl127bassgrl127 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, no hair recommendations in San Diego... my husband's aunt is a hairdresser in NY, and she did my hair. But, if you know someone in NY looking for someone, I'm happy to refer her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too am surprised at the Edelweiss comment.  I have ordered a couple cakes from them in the past and I do think if you go for the standard white cake then it is nothing spectacular but if you do the upgrade to the poundcake.... YUM!  So, moist and soo delicious!  I am doing butter pound cake with strawberry bavarian creme.  I ate the sample and asked for a piece to go since my FI was not able to make the trip down with me due to work. (we live in OC but are getting married in SD) and he loved it too even after a car ride and I tried it again and it was still delish!  The to go piece was good sized too.  They are all VERY nice in there too.  I thought they had the best red velvet cake that I had ever tried before too.  I never liked red velvet as I thought it is always too dry but theirs was moist and yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards