Kentucky-Louisville
Options

Cake Help!

So, I've looked, tasted, and looked again. I need help with the cake. I want someone that can make a nice looking cake, but also good tasting. Not too sweet. I need suggestions! I want a buttercream icing cake, multiple flavors and fillings, and detailing on the outside to make it look pretty. I don't want anyone right out the shoot and no deli place like Heitzman's or Plehn's *gross!*.

I have checked out the following:
Mert's Cakes- she was rude and stood me up for our 1st appt
Bake My Day KY- she is nice, but probably "too homemade"..not enough experience
Cakes by Barbara- she is booked

Let me know your suggestions based on experiences & taste.

Re: Cake Help!

• Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cake is from Judy Myers in Nicholasville.  I don't know if she'll come to Louisville to deliver or not, but her cake is awesome.  (My wedding is in Georgetown.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Louisville Wedding Cakes.  She'll do different flavors for each tier and does not charge extra for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may not be interested in this, but just in case (ha!)

I decided to use cupcakes in place of a cake for my wedding. I am using Gigi's Cupcakes on Hurstbourne Lane. They set them up in a tier before the wedding, break it down afterwards, decorate anyway you like. You can use as many different combos of flavors that you like. Plus, they are delicious =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried Leah Stewart of the Gallery House yet??? One of the PP recommended her (louisvilleweddingcake.com).  We used her for our wedding cake and it was phenomenal.A friend of mine used her for her wedding and she made the cake look like it had a huge ribbon cascading down the cake, which looked just like her dress.  She's also made my son's 1st Bday cake. She makes her own buttercream, which I could eat all day long. I also thought she was really creative! She also was in the People magazine wedding edition for best cake in Kentucky a few years ago!!
    (and I promise she's not paying me or anything, I just loved all my vendors!!!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the advice...I have met Leah at a wedding show at Frazier. Her cakes looked pretty...I want one with the "crunchy" sugar exterior. My sister keeps raving about it too from a wedding she went to last year. I will check her out! Hopefully the date is open in her book. Thanks again!
  • Options
    katepetersonkatepeterson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently looking as well and 2 I found that seem to be really good are Jenny's Contempary Cakes and Cakes by Lisa E. Both have websites if you google those names. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:608Discussion:f0997a0d-fdb9-4275-84b4-521996a91115Post:c51958e6-2904-41b0-9902-87c33b7b1e05">Re: Cake Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you tried Leah Stewart of the Gallery House yet??? One of the PP recommended her (louisvilleweddingcake.com).  We used her for our wedding cake and it was phenomenal.A friend of mine used her for her wedding and she made the cake look like it had a huge ribbon cascading down the cake, which looked just like her dress.  She's also made my son's 1st Bday cake. She makes her own buttercream, which I could eat all day long. I also thought she was really creative! She also was in the People magazine wedding edition for best cake in Kentucky a few years ago!! (and I promise she's not paying me or anything, I just loved all my vendors!!!)
    Posted by meganlela[/QUOTE]

Leah's doing my wedding too.  She doesn't charge extra for different flavored tiers (she actually encourages it).  She does a lot of different styles.  The thing that most people seem to go to her for is to design a cake around the brides dress.  She picked out all these different elements from mine and had us pick from 4 different desgins.  I met with several people where I was unimpressed, and meeting with her was fantastic!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! I have a meeting with her next wednesday...I really appreciate the multiple comments about her...that's makes me much more relaxed.
  • Options
    latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:608Discussion:f0997a0d-fdb9-4275-84b4-521996a91115Post:c51958e6-2904-41b0-9902-87c33b7b1e05">Re: Cake Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you tried Leah Stewart of the Gallery House yet??? One of the PP recommended her (louisvilleweddingcake.com).  We used her for our wedding cake and it was phenomenal.A friend of mine used her for her wedding and she made the cake look like it had a huge ribbon cascading down the cake, which looked just like her dress.  She's also made my son's 1st Bday cake. She makes her own buttercream, which I could eat all day long. I also thought she was really creative! She also was in the People magazine wedding edition for best cake in Kentucky a few years ago!! (and I promise she's not paying me or anything, I just loved all my vendors!!!)
    Posted by meganlela[/QUOTE]

sorry to butt in,are her cakes expensive? I have heard great things about her so I was just wondering?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Her prices are listed on the website: http://www.louisvilleweddingcake.com
  • Options
    latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_kentucky-louisville_cake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:608Discussion:f0997a0d-fdb9-4275-84b4-521996a91115Post:fd2dd3d1-6e38-40af-afdc-bba4ce8e39f4">Re: Cake Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Her prices are listed on the website: <a href="http://www.louisvilleweddingcake.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.louisvilleweddingcake.com</a>
    Posted by anothersunnyday[/QUOTE]

thanks for the website
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've only done one tasting, that was at Cake Flour and I was really impressed with the quality (I used to be a Pastry Chef so I'm a bit picky ;) 
    http://www.cakeflouronmarket.com/
    They use all natural ingredients and really pride themselves on freshness and quality. No gross fondant there!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kate: What did you think about Cakes by Lisa E. I made an appointment to meet with her. Her price is good & her cakes looks really nice! I will probably go ahead and book her as long as the taste is good....but I'd love your opinion...

Oh, and I went to Gallery House....I thought it was "ok" tasting. Maybe I built her up too much....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've tasted a few samples from LouisvilleWeddingCakes and thought they were horrible. Did I just hit it on a bad day???

I've had much better cake from Cake Flour, and from what I've heard, Cake Flour is very reasonable on their wedding cakes.

Anyone had any experience with Kroger Catering and cakes? At one bridal show, I was very impressed with their cake and the manager there has been very good about getting back to me with answers to questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely not booking Leah Stewart...Louisville Wedding Cakes (Gallery House).

I had Kroger cakes at a show too....they were very good.

I ended up booking Cakes by Lisa E. She is 2.75/slice. She has lots of examples of cakes she's done. Excellent!
  • Options
    KentuckyKateKentuckyKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Heitzmann's.  For nearly every design, they charge $2.75/slice for buttercream and $3.75/slice fondant, and the price includes delivery, setup, etc.  I had a tasting with Leah Stewart, and I must say, her cake tasted even better, but her price was more after the delivery, setup, and disposable equipment fees, and I am trying to tighten the purse strings where possible.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Options
    Deirdre1BDeirdre1B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Piece of Cake? She is very honest about how much cake you really need. She says everyone always orders to much. She is very easy to work with. She has albums and albums of wedding cakes that she has done over the years for you to look at.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards